Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

X20E Drawer Project

One glaring omission, and one of the very few things we dislike about our X20E is the lack at least one drawer. I think the X23B may have the same issue. I've looked for ready made solutions that would fit in one of the pantry cabinets but it's such an odd size that we haven't been able to find anything. We ended up using some clunky baskets to store utensils and cooking tools.

I found a place that makes reasonably priced custom drawer boxes, Barker Door. My new drawer boxes are 13" length, 8 4/16 " wide, and 3" deep on the box side. You have to take into account the width of the drawer slides. They come unassembled but are really easy to assemble.

Now keep in mind that I am no carpenter. Not by a long shot. The bottom drawer still isn't quite right, its a bit cock eyed, but it will do. I left some extra space between the bottom drawer and middle one to allow for spatualas and other things that are bulky and stick up. All in all this project cost me more than I wanted it to, but it was worth it. In total about $85 and maybe 3 hours work. I spent a lot of time making sure measurements were right before ordering, and the first drawer took an hour because I was being careful. This might take someone with experience less than an hour. Either way I think anyone with halfway reasonable skills can do this.

Unassembled drawers.

I cut these for mounting the drawer slides inside the cabinet.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

looks perfect.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

Doc,
I looked your pics before reading the narrative and was thinking, "hmm, this guy's a waaay better carpenter than me".
After reading your story I'm thinking you're probably still a better carpenter than me (the dog is a better carpenter than me), but now I know you're also smarter than me.
That's a dang clever solution you've come up with! Thanks for posting your mod.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Great job,well done and now it's like a home kitchen. It's those custom touches that make your trips more enjoyable.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Thanks all. I just got my new table top too. A guy I work with made it for me. Our old one got wet and the surface started to peel away. I'll post that after my next trip.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote