Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Our 338RETS

Our new (July 2014) TT on our way home from our first trip camping with it. From our 4th of July trip.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

Good looking set up! Looks like there is a fair amount of tongue weight? Have you considered Timbrens?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

I have, that's in my list that I'm budgeting for. Not to worried about our shorter local trip but definitely before I head out to South Carolina in the fall.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Nice set up!!!
What hitch set up are you running? My bet is you can adjust that out without buying Timbrens.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

I'm using an equalizer hitches weight distribution hitch

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Nice setup, truck and trailer look great

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

Good looking truck and trailer. Congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #8

Air Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Good looking set up! Looks like there is a fair amount of tongue weight? Have you considered Timbrens?
In my experience I would look at helper air bags before Timbrens. The timbrens only help once there is a good sag on the suspension where as air bags help support the load and keep it level and can be adjusted depending on the load.
Just my opinion!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

My trailer has a 1400lb tongue weight. I put a set of Timbrens on my '12 F-250, readjusted the WDH and couldn't be more pleased. Very solid feel, installs easily and doesn't affect the no-load ride. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them [air bags, Timbrens, RAS system etc] if you decide to enhance your rear suspension.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont Pete View Post
In my experience I would look at helper air bags before Timbrens. The timbrens only help once there is a good sag on the suspension where as air bags help support the load and keep it level and can be adjusted depending on the load.
Just my opinion!
I just happen to like Timbrens too. I have a set on the front of my Tahoe to help support the plow, and have had real good luck with them. I plan on getting a set for the rear this spring to help reduce sag when towing the camper. A properly installed set of Timbrens should only allow 1/2 to 1 inch sag before being effective. Air bags, which are much more complacated to install and risk being puncured can be fully inflated and support the load 100% and maybe no sag. To each his own I guess. I have seen good reviews on both...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #11

Thanks for the input I looked them up and they seem to have a pretty good price on Amazon and I looked at the instructions on the Timbrens web site and they are definitely simpler to install than the Airbags. And since I think I only need a little tweaking to the rear this looks like the way to go. Thanks Much.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #12

Sag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
I just happen to like Timbrens too. I have a set on the front of my Tahoe to help support the plow, and have had real good luck with them. I plan on getting a set for the rear this spring to help reduce sag when towing the camper. A properly installed set of Timbrens should only allow 1/2 to 1 inch sag before being effective. Air bags, which are much more complacated to install and risk being puncured can be fully inflated and support the load 100% and maybe no sag. To each his own I guess. I have seen good reviews on both...
Yes the sag before the timbrins work is what I don't like about them. Especially for night driving as a sag on the back of the vehicle also lift the headlight beams which can reduce visability and have people flashing there lights at you. That was 1 thing I loved with my Tundra was remote adjustable headlights!

Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodgson View Post
Thanks for the input I looked them up and they seem to have a pretty good price on Amazon and I looked at the instructions on the Timbrens web site and they are definitely simpler to install than the Airbags. And since I think I only need a little tweaking to the rear this looks like the way to go. Thanks Much.
The installation instructions on the Timbrens are clear on how much clearance to leave. They have spacers if it is not right and are very helpful if you have any questions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont Pete View Post
Yes the sag before the timbrins work is what I don't like about them. Especially for night driving as a sag on the back of the vehicle also lift the headlight beams which can reduce visability and have people flashing there lights at you.
The OP has a bumper pull with a WDH. After the Timbren installation he should experience 90% less sag and after a quick readjustment of the WDH, all sag will be eliminated. The Timbrens will be resting on the bumpstops, tying everything together for a more stable towing experience. If towing a 5th wheel, you are correct in stating there will be the initial sag before the Timbrens engage, but as Norty said, there are spacers to combat this as well.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
The OP has a bumper pull with a WDH. After the Timbren installation he should experience 90% less sag and after a quick readjustment of the WDH, all sag will be eliminated. The Timbrens will be resting on the bumpstops, tying everything together for a more stable towing experience. If towing a 5th wheel, you are correct in stating there will be the initial sag before the Timbrens engage, but as Norty said, there are spacers to combat this as well.
Ok so everyone has their on opinions, and I am sharing mine but a couple of points to this reply:

"The OP has a bumper pull with a WDH. After the Timbren installation he should experience 90% less sag and after a quick readjustment of the WDH, all sag will be eliminated.".......if adjustment of the WDH eliminates all sag then why would any type of spring help be required!

"The Timbrens will be resting on the bumpstops, tying everything together for a more stable towing experience."........If the timbrens are sitting on the bump stops then basicly you would have the rear suspension eliminated by having hard rubber holding directly from axle to frame!

"you are correct in stating there will be the initial sag before the Timbrens engage, but as Norty said, there are spacers to combat this as well.".......so by doing this you are taking away most or almost all of the movement that the suspension is designed to do move when the vehicle hits a bump! To me this will affect the ride quality all of the time while driving the TV whether you have trailer on or not.

Again this being my opinion, I believe the air bag system is a much better system mostly because of the ajustability by changing the air pressure depending on how much weight you are carrying or none at all. the downfall is that they are a more expensive system and more complicated to install. But in my experience (after installing many of both systems) if airbags are used properly they are nearly care free and people with them are extremely pleased with their performance.

To each their own!

Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Great looking setup. Congrats... Happy and safe travels.

Traveling the US full-time
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote