Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

'08 Jayfeather Sport 199 slide-out

I just purchased a 08 Jayfeather Sport 199. Well have had it 2 weeks and noticed that when I use the slide goes flush at the bottom but notice a 1 inch gap at the top. Then when I let it in the right side sticks.

I took it to a Camping World locally. Well they and I thought it just might need to be adjusted. Well we were both WRONG. Well they said that the rear roller on the right side of the slide out busted the floor under the slide-out. This has caused the whole slide-out to shift to the right. They are recommending that the slide out be removed the floor repaired and the rollers.

There is no water damage to the floor. Camping World world said they have never seen anything like it before. They said that it is a factory fix. I called the factory and they said since I'm technically the second owner that there is no warranty coverage for me.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if they had any suggestions.

Thanks
mikemarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First, welcome to the Jayco forums, just wish it was under better conditions.

There are numerous things that can go wrong with a slideout, but I personally haven't run across your particular situation that would imply that it was a common event.

Was this a condition that was visible, and/or discussed when you made the purchase? Don't know circumstances you purchased the TT under, but do you have any recourse with the seller since it's been only two weeks?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome and input Rustic Eagle

Well I really don't know if I done it or if it was that way when I purchased it. I have been racking my brain trying to remember if it was that way when I picked it up from the seller. I noticed that the slide-out was sticking the night I brought it home so it makes me think it was that way when I purchased it. I noticed the gap the next day after bringing it home.

I did however try to extend the slide-out once and forgot to remove the travel lock. I just don't the the one slide-out motor is strong enough to make the roller break the floor.

The owner never mentions the problem. I called him about it when I noticed it and he claimed to have no knowledge of the gap at the top but did state that he said that it had been sticking. He acted like that it was nothing new. I want to believe that he did not take advantage of me. I purchased it form a elderly couple who was selling it due to upgrading to a larger TT for his wife's oxygen equipment. I never got the impression that he was trying to unload a problem on me.

I do not know of any recourse I would have with the seller. If all else fails, I will contact him and see if he can get the warranty work performed.

The dealer/service center that sold him the Jayco has since gone out of business. I spoke with the owner of a new Jayco dealer that has a service center at his original lot a few hours away. He said that he would look at it and and we would cross the warranty bridge if we need to. He said that he would work with me. I believe that if it is a warranty fix he will work some voodoo and get it approved. Well I sure hope so.

It is just discouraging that my family just purchased our first TT and 2 weeks into owning it we have to have a serous problem fixed before our first trip.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemarlin View Post
snip.....The dealer/service center that sold him the Jayco has since gone out of business. I spoke with the owner of a new Jayco dealer that has a service center at his original lot a few hours away. He said that he would look at it and and we would cross the warranty bridge if we need to. He said that he would work with me. I believe that if it is a warranty fix he will work some voodoo and get it approved. Well I sure hope so......snip
Sounds like you have covered all the bases, and I hope the dealer follows through as well. It's very possible the problem could be associated to a series of events, not a specific root cause.

Let us know how things turn out by updating this thread.

Feel free to post some pics of your "new-to-you" Jayco over in the "Pics of your Jayco" forum.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum MikeMarlin! Sorry to hear about the slide. I too would hope that the owner really was just trying to pawn his problems off to someone else. It would be nice if he could meet you at the dealer and see if he can have the situation resolved with his name if the sticking was happening with him in the first place. An '08? Was it purchased in '09? Congrats on your "new" tt and definitely post some pics when you can! Will you be able to take a maiden voyage soon?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Hey Mike - sorry about your problem!

You might drop by a couple of other dealers and ask them to take a look for another opinion. Sometimes you can find a good experienced mechanic that fashion a fix that is much cheaper. You just have to be careful they do it right, but I have found sometimes there is a difference when they are doing warranty work (Jayco pays) and out of warranty (customer pays).

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #7

Healthi, Well the the seller purchased the TT in october '07. It is however the '08 model. I have already thought I could find a look hole in that since the warranty coverage changed in '08. I might try that.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Tafische I plan on taking it to there only local dealer close to me. He said he would look at it and see what needs to be done and we would cross the bridge on the warranty when we get to that.