Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

154BH - Considering Generator - where to put it?

Hi all,
We bought our new 2016 Jayco 154bh back in March and we're ready for our first big trip. We've taken it to a local state campground and tested it out a bit - though I would have liked some more testing time. We're leaving for San Diego in 6 days and I'm thinking about getting generator from our local Costco. It's a 2100 starting watts/1700 running watts Homelite Powerstroke with a digital inverter. It's $459. I was previously considering the Honda 2000 on Amazon but this thing is less than 1/2 the cost. Seeing as how it's from Costco I can't NOT try it out and see if it fits our needs (and ears). If it doesn't work out it can easily go back to the store.

It should easily run our window unit A/C that's installed in the 154bh - but what I'm not sure of are two things:

1. Where should I store this thing when travelling with the trailer? I'm towing with a Honda Odyssey.
2. Where is the best place to place it when using it? Ideally I'd like to use a cable lock to secure it so no one runs off with it in the middle of the night... but I want to make sure it's in a safe location for running properly without being a hazard.
3. Where is the best place to store the plastic gas can (I think it's a 5 gallon) when travelling?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. San Diego is going to be HOT and I'm originally from Buffalo so I'm looking forward to having A/C at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160603_135941.jpg  
Equal-i-zer 90000600 Equalizer Hitch; Weight Distrubition with sway control (6k)
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

San Diego is incredibly temperate
Buffalo is hot
We store our Honda generator in the bed of our truck Gas can too. As you have a minivan maybe you should store both in the trailer
We ran ours away from a window and put it in the truck when not in use
You could probably buy a cable lock to avoid grab and go
We bought a Honda as we want service if needed locally. Costco is not within 200 miles of us
Just a thought
We ran our a/c four times over 44 days. And all were in the East! That humidity. Never in the desert!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

given that you are probably close to the towing/tongue capacity like me, I would put it as far back in the trailer as I can, like in the bathtub during towing, then put a lock and cable around the A frame and put it there when parked.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

San Diego usually won't get too hot. If you travel inland (east) that has potential for some heat.

Fill Genny with gas a few days before you leave. Mine only smells for a day after filling with gas. I guess all of my spillage evaporates. Same for your fuel can.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote