Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #21

Well, I think your needs and desires are a bit different from the wife's and mine, because we didn't want to convert the dining table to a bed every night so we went with the 174, with that said, I love the weight and tongue weight of the 154's, but I also love the added water capacity of the 174/184's. All we do is boondocking, we can't stand the campgrounds and stay away from them if we can help it. I posted a short video in the mods section if you want to see some great upgrades inside and out. Now for the tow vehicle, I'm always at max weight for the trailer, and I'm guessing my tongue weight is around 600-900lbs with water and my 4x6v batts on the tongue, along with all my stuff in the front storage compartment. I have a 360hp Hemi equipped Durango, and I had to beef up the rear springs for the tongue weight. The Durango's tow cap is 7900-8700lbs, I'm well within the safe limit, but the Hemi still gets a workout on the hills. There is 3 of us, so I need the bunk bed, but I like the smaller 154 if I was to trade in the 174, just because of ease of boondocking in tight spots, and all we do is sleep in the trailer, we are outside the rest of the time. Its all a trade off, and I'm sure you will like whichever one you decide on.
Attached Files
Trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #22

@Trippin - Where do you live that allows you to double tow without a 5th wheel as the first trailer? That is a sweet setup!
walter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #23

Idaho. My previous video I didn't have the 2nd trailer, so I had a minibike on the back bumper of the trailer and a front carry rack on the durango. Now when we go to Nat'l or State Campgrounds (where we can't use the minibikes) we drop the little trailer and use the 2018 Lexus RX450h to tow the BH174 Baja. If you can, check out the upgrades to the trailer in the "Mods" section. I just installed a 12v four camera system in the trailer too, it lets us see the wildlife around our trailer all night long (because it records movement). Enjoy!
Trippin is offline   Reply With Quote