Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

174bh TV mount mod

Thank-you to other owners for sharing awesome mods they have already done. I have used a few, still working on a few, and I'm sharing my tv mount mod below.

Mods completed:
1) gutter extensions
2) shower curtain and splash guard

Mods I'm still working on:
1) under bunk storage
2) under queen bed storage access

My tv mount:
- I didn't like the idea of mounting the tv on or above the kitchen counter so I did a little work to put it above the queen bed. First step was moving the tv wall outlet into the cabinet above counter. Then I drilled a couple holes to run cable and a 10' surge bar over to the cabinet above the bed. To clean up the look I used conduit to hide wires (still have some finishing to do).

alister55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Your install looks Great! Very professional looking.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

I have the same trailer but will need to mount at the original location as I generally watch tv at night in bed. I am afraid to install anything on my own to cause them to break the warranty but I am sure a simple tv mount for 22" tv will be super costly. I see others doing mods on their own so maybe I am being to paranoid. Right now I have mine sitting on the counter which is not good. I have to box up every trip for travel. Does the tv mount you have listed turn every which way. It would be nice to have one that can turn to the bunks, table and queen bed or would you or others have any suggestions? New rv'er and not mechanically inclined but can ask friends. I sleep towards the door. Yours looks great, what a nice clean install.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Not sure about if the install voided warranty but I sure couldn't claim anything on the holes I cut in the cabinets or in the wall where I moved the tv plugin.

Conduit just sticks to wall and can be picked up at home depot. I had to order a blank black wall plate (amazon) to cover old tv plug location because I couldn't find one anywhere.

The tv mount will turn to bunks, dinette, or to bed. I picked it up for around $50 I think (jysk).

I didn't have to drill such big holes through cabinet but I was just to lazy to cut the end off the the surge protector and put a new end on.

I will still wrap the tv in a blanket and bungy cord the tv to the dresser so it doesn't bounce around during travel.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Thanks for reply. It looks great for sure.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #6

Do you hapoen to recall brand name of your tv mount? I have 22" tv but wanting to go 24" my eyes are not that great. What size is your tv? Also mine did not come with a hard wire cable connection but rather than spend monies on that, I just bought a 50' cable and link it up through the corner of the queen bed by door which just happen to have the corner notched out. Just threw under the trailer and connected. They wanted 2 hours worth of labor to take the door jam off and install cable. I was wondering what your solution was? Did you install an actual cable wire or just leave antenna? We would only use in rv parks so would not want to spend for professional installation. On my cell phone so apologize in advance for typos. Small screen.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #7

Also, sorry for all the questions but in picture 2 you have what appears to a 2 plug strip. Where did find that?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

I mounted a 32" TV above the bench seat of the dinette. The wall has a solid stud there where the bunk bed is on the other side, and that is what I screwed the mount to. It is actually pretty solid, but I do not travel with the TV mounted. When the TV is against the wall, it is almost even with the cushion. It took a few times remembering it was there when we set down to eat.
DCFirstTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYk View Post
Do you hapoen to recall brand name of your tv mount? I have 22" tv but wanting to go 24" my eyes are not that great. What size is your tv? Also mine did not come with a hard wire cable connection but rather than spend monies on that, I just bought a 50' cable and link it up through the corner of the queen bed by door which just happen to have the corner notched out. Just threw under the trailer and connected. They wanted 2 hours worth of labor to take the door jam off and install cable. I was wondering what your solution was? Did you install an actual cable wire or just leave antenna? We would only use in rv parks so would not want to spend for professional installation. On my cell phone so apologize in advance for typos. Small screen.
This is the mount, no idea of the model: https://www.jysk.ca/furniture/living...unt-23-42.html

Insignia 24" TV I bought at BestBuy.

Not sure I understand what you mean about what my solution was. I only use the TV Antenna for anything I can get over the air using the antenna on the trailer (no cable hookup). I do have a Raspberry PI with an external hard drive that sits up in the cabinet above the bed, typically just load that with my own movies or TV for those rainy days.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYk View Post
Also, sorry for all the questions but in picture 2 you have what appears to a 2 plug strip. Where did find that?
That is actually a power inverter I had kicking around for plugging into the 12volt plug. I probably picked it up at Staples.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alister55 View Post
This is the mount, no idea of the model: https://www.jysk.ca/furniture/living...unt-23-42.html

Insignia 24" TV I bought at BestBuy.

Not sure I understand what you mean about what my solution was. I only use the TV Antenna for anything I can get over the air using the antenna on the trailer (no cable hookup). I do have a Raspberry PI with an external hard drive that sits up in the cabinet above the bed, typically just load that with my own movies or TV for those rainy days.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I am still trying to understand how to use this site. It seems confusing to me for some reason and I am not a novice. Perhaps it is because I use my cell phone. So apologize if posts are wacky.

I was speaking of the cable connection. Mine did not come with it but would only use for rv parks which we do not do anyway. Thanks for the tv mount link and tips. I appreciate it.

I Iike the rasberry pi idea. I believe it has a sm footprint as well. I have not owned one but the I hear they are great.

I did take one of my android boxes my T95Z plus and put in there for the same reason. However, going to change it out, kinda expensive box for a TT. I also have a little micca, which I really like, I bought on amazon a coupke of years ago for another use. The micca has a very small foot print, can connect a usb ext drive or thumb and connects hdmi or rca. It pretty much plays anything I throw at it (with the exception of some .mkv's not sure why some play and some not, kinda disappointed in that), has a simple interface, even a kid could use. Honestly, I was impressed with such a sm price tag and perfect kids. I just wanted to share that in case others on a budget and need simple. I use the android box as well but that micca is so sm, I just command stripped it to the bottom of the tv so it is pretty much permanent. Believe it or not it is solidly on there. It has not budged even in the heat. I can still use the little remote too. I have a roku stick as well, easiest to cast from phone using plan data at least for me. I guess I have to many devices for sm TT but I like to winter camp as well so it is important to me.

K
LADYk is offline   Reply With Quote