Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

18 Month Review - 2013 White Hawk 30DSRE

I know a lot of owners post review and opinions right away when they buy their RV. I thought now that we have owned ours for 18+ months it would be a good time to provide a review as to how it is holding up and what we find as pros / cons. We have been on 3 week long trips and about 15 or more weekend trips (2-3 days) in this trailer. The week long trips were long distance 500+ miles one-way.

I realize that this model was discontinued in 2014 but I think that the review remains relevant for other White Hawk models as they are all very similar outside of floor plan variations.

---

2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
* Ledge Stone fireplace option
* 15,000 BTU AC option
* Electric jack / stabilizer option
* Aluminum wheels
* Power awning
* Bumper mount grill
* Roof ladder

Overall the quality of workmanship inside the RV seems pretty good. It's not luxury quality (cabinet hinges show, lights are basic non-recessed, plastic fixtures, etc.) but everything seems well put together and generally durable.

Quality PROs

- The carpet and linoleum still look new.
- The furniture and built-ins still look new as well.
- The roof still looks nearly brand new and cleans very easily.
- The exterior walls are in excellent condition. I have no delamination at all.

Quality CONs

- The front end cap shows some fading and I am looking into possible warranty work for it. It's not horrible but it is disappointing since I have kept up with maintenance.
- The fender skirts started popping away from the screws holding them on. I found that the plastic was starting to crack and sort of dry rot. I added some washers to the screws in order to hold the fenders but it seems to be a temporary fix. I expect that eventually I will need new fenders.
- The front light (not on the tongue jack) has never worked.
- The 12v outlet by the slide / lights panel has never worked.

I am generally happy with how the trailer is holding up. The front end cap issue seems to be wide-spread with just about all manufacturers. I've been hearing that the fender problem is somewhat common as well. The two electrical issues haven't been a big deal to us. I checked fuses but didn't find any bad ones. We don't use the 12v outlet anyway and I use a powerful flashlight when messing with the hitch in the dark so have never been concerned about that front light.

---

Usage PROs

- The layout of this model was excellent for a couple that rarely has kids or guests with them. Lots of living space. 36" deep slide out really makes the living space feel roomy.
- Bedroom on one end with main TV on the whole other end and a real door separating the bedroom from the living space. This means, I can watch TV at night and not bother my wife who wants to go to sleep earlier than me.
- Storage is adequate and it's nice to have a sizable closet / pantry by the kitchen.
- Fireplace and 32" TV look amazing. People always say "wow" when they see our island kitchen and that back wall. They just don't expect that in a moderate sized traditional trailer (non fifth wheel).
- Shower is adequate to use without feeling too crowded. Water stays inside!
- Nice to have electric fireplace heat to supplement the central propane heat (saves on propane).
- 15,000 BTC AC does a good job. Only in 100+ degree heat does it seem to work hard. Even then, the RV gets comfortable if not cold. Otherwise, it can freeze you out if that's what you want. I think the 13,500 AC would struggle though.
- The ducted AC / heat works well and is fairly quiet.
- Outside storage space is pretty good for a traditional trailer. The access doors are larger than some I have seen and that helps.
- Winterizing is ridiculously easy. It takes me maybe 20-30 minutes from start to finish.
- Walkable roof makes maintaining it very easy.
- Kitchen has reasonable counter space. We like having the three burner stove with an oven (many are not coming with ovens anymore).
- Norcold refrigerator seems better than the Dometic that we saw in a lot of other similar trailers.
- The microwave is super quiet.
- Lots of lighting options are in the trailer. There are lights everywhere!
- Nice big windows allow us good views on both sides of the trailer. The non-fireplace version has a huge rear window. But, we liked the fireplace and the remaining windows are still pretty good.
- We like the pleated shades. They won't bend like the metal kind and they stay in place as we travel down the road. They do a good job of darkening the interior when we want to sleep in.
- PRICE... I feel like you really get a lot in these White Hawk trailers for the low price as compared to other ones we considered.
- Love the double bowl kitchen sink. Single bowl would have been a pain.
- Heated and enclosed underbelly.
- With the electric and propane running simultaneously, you can actually take a normal shower without having to rush it too much... unless you don't have sewer hookup since the grey tank is smallish.

Usage CONs

- Grey water tank is kind of small. If you have a site with no sewer and you stay more than a day you are probably going to be hauling grey water to the dump station daily.
- Bed did not come with hydraulic lift for the underneath storage. We added it which was inexpensive to do but wish it had just come with that installed already.
- We have a portable satellite dish. We wish that the bedroom had it's own cable jack on the exterior. Instead, we ran a line into the storage compartment in order to get a line out to the satellite dish for the bedroom TV. Not a big deal and it works but that would have been nice if built-in.
- The water pump is noisy. We usually have water on site and don't need to use it. Otherwise, it would be kind of annoying since it is a bit loud.
- Plastic shower knobs cracked and I had to replace them. Fortunately, it was easy, quick, and cheap.
- Bedroom light is switched from the light itself rather than from a wall switch. The bathroom has wall switches. It would have been nice not to have to walk all the way into a dark bedroom before being able to turn the light on... same as in the bathroom.
- Wish there had been lights built into the bedroom closets. It's kind of hard to see all the way into them. We added some battery powered lights and they work good enough.
- Insulation numbers are pretty low but with the 15,000 AC unit we haven't had any problems and we have camped in temperatures ranging from 20 degrees to 100 degrees. So... maybe it's not really much of a CON.
- Medicine cabinet is mounted high... meaning that the mirror is hard to use if you aren't tall.

Bottom line... we are very pleased with this travel trailer. We often look at new ones just to see them and we find ourselves saying that we still like our's better. We are hoping to have this trailer for a total of 7 years which takes us right to the year 2020. Then, we might look into a fifth wheel. Perhaps a Jayco Eagle or Pinnacle when the time comes. But, for now, we are very happy with what we have and believe we made a great choice selecting a White Hawk.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

Nice review....very thorough.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the review, very detailed. As a future White Hawk owner (ordered, just waiting on her to arrive) I look constantly for info on quality, ownership and overall impressions.

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks for a very thorough review. As new WhiteHawk owners ourselves we appreaciate hearing the good and the bad.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

We are 14 months into our 2014 WHDSRE and your review would mirror our experience and feelings. All our electrical works though. Had to pull the radio and plug in the DVD plug going to the TV. Ditto on the bedroom TV feed and the lack of a wall switch for the overhead lite. I am in the process of adding a new input that will enter by the city water / fresh water input caps and will enter under the bathroom vanity. From there it will be easy to feed into the hollow wall and up to where the built in tv connection is on the same wall. Also adapting a wire mesh magazine holder mounted flat against the wall directly below the coax outlet plate. The Dish VIP211z fits into it like a glove and the holder will keep the receiver secure and out of the way. I added 2 wireless wall switches that I purchased for less than $10 each and wife has a small bedside lite plugged into the underbed outlets that is controlled by the switch. Installed the 2nd one on the bulkhead wall near the main electric box. It controls a table lamp sitting on the free standing dining table.

Also had some minor cosmetic issues on the interior that were easily fixed with a couple screws and hot glue gun. The 2014 was a surprise as we ordered and paid for a 2013. Seems production came after the line had converted to building the 14's so it is a Summit Edition model. Like the pull latches on the storage doors. We removed one of the lounge chairs to make for more floor space for the dogs and take out 2 of the 4 dining table chairs because we don't need them.

My main complaints or disappointments are: when is Jayco going to step up to using led bulbs?, internal tv wiring should allow for a direct [2nd] feed to the bedroom, and the small outside fridge tends to freeze things and the tstat knob is almost unreachable requiring you to reach blindly into the storage hatch and into a small access hole where the knob is located [REALLY a brain fart in the design department. Also no dimmer on the under awning led strip. Super brite but is a bug magnet if its on when you take the dogs out at bedtime.

Love the model and would buy it again without reservation. Perfect floorplan for a retired couple and allows plenty of room for 2 large furry friends.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Bassdogs -

I like your idea for wiring the bedroom television and the way in which to mount the receiver. We usually have our's perched on the window valance next to the television. Of course, we have to remember to move it when we pull the trailer so that it won't go crashing onto the floor.

My mini fridge has the thermostat inside of it and easy to reach. I have no idea why they changed it on the newer ones. They made it harder putting it on the backside of the exterior. Mine will also freeze things if I don't keep it turned down pretty low.

I would have liked the pull latches on the storage doors. The twist type are okay and I am used to them but the other ones are nicer.

The 2013 model didn't come with the led strip but if it did I too would have wanted a dimmer instead of just on/off.

Most of the gripes that my wife and I have are petty things really. Overall, the important stuff is there, things work as they should, and the trailer seems generally well built.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

Wife's additional review comments are:

PROs

- Lot's of storage space.
- 2013 model has a flat interior ceiling. This means that the top of doors completely close with no overhead gap. While taller people might like the added ceiling height, we like the sound reduction and light reduction from a fully closed door.
- Like the spacious "bunk" bed when the dinette is converted. It's comfortable and spacious and good for watching movies on the main TV.
- The bedroom is fairly quiet even when people are active in the living area.

CONs

- Seat cushions on dinette constantly falling down flat and velcro doesn't stick to them on the backside very well so that didn't really solve the problem.
- Wish the overhead cabinets had small hydraulic lifts to keep them open when trying to get things in and out of them. Have to hold them up with one hand the whole time.
- Would have liked an outlet on the wall between the two chairs. Not the one up high under the cabinets but down low on the wall.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

Thanks for your review. We have been very pleased with our 27DSRL. Only thing not working on ours after 18 months is fresh water tank level gauge. No big deal since we only carry enough fresh water to use to potty on the road.

Have not had problem with front cap fading.

Took out two dinning room table chairs and both barrel chairs. Have #80 Black Lab "puppy" who stays in crate on slide side and put a better recliner for myself on the curb side. DW likes to sit or lie on couch.

Have table lamps bolted to dinning table and rear table with dimmers. Don't like harsh overhead lights. Have small halogen lights with dimmers mounted on slide wall for couch and on each side of the bed for reading.

Only other thing I am planning to do is put a better fan in the bathroom.

Only Cons for us are small grey water tank and having a good place for trash can, such as under the sink. Also would be nice if bedroom had a wall mounted light switch.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

Newbold - Great review, we have the same WH brought back in March 2013. RV is currently at the dealer to fix the ruubber roof on the slide (wasn't glued very well) and a few other small issues. Overall we are also well pleased. Taking off for a 30 day trip to Utah from San Antonio at the end of the month. Would you mind saying what lifts you used for the bed. It is a PITA trying to lift the bed and get something out or put in.

Thanks
BF&W Nisa and Sophie the Chewinnie
2017 Ford F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
Bstar1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstar1952 View Post
Newbold - Great review, we have the same WH brought back in March 2013. RV is currently at the dealer to fix the ruubber roof on the slide (wasn't glued very well) and a few other small issues. Overall we are also well pleased. Taking off for a 30 day trip to Utah from San Antonio at the end of the month. Would you mind saying what lifts you used for the bed. It is a PITA trying to lift the bed and get something out or put in.

Thanks
It's been a while but I bought the bed lift from Camping World and if I remember correctly the kit I bought is the one in this following link. I bought one for each side instead of just a single side.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lift-kit/66717
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Only Cons for us are small grey water tank and having a good place for trash can, such as under the sink. Also would be nice if bedroom had a wall mounted light switch.
For the trash can we bought this contraption that is basically a trash can frame that holds a standard 13 gallon bag. The contraption disassembles so you can store it when not in use. When in use we put it right next to the door by where the fire extinguisher is mounted (between the door and the refrigerator in our model 30DSRE). That seems like a good spot and somewhat out of the way. Plus you get a full size bag instead of a bitty one that is full too fast.

I bought this trash can contraption thing at Camping World. Here is the link of the one we bought.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-holder/35607
Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #12

Newbold1 - Thanks for the tip on the bed lift, picked one up yesterday and it was an easy install, works great......
BF&W Nisa and Sophie the Chewinnie
2017 Ford F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
Bstar1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstar1952 View Post
Newbold1 - Thanks for the tip on the bed lift, picked one up yesterday and it was an easy install, works great......

Great! You'll probably find that you like using the bed storage now. It was a pain before and now it's no big deal at all to get things in and out.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #14

I fixed my two electrical issues. Both were very easy.

1. The 12 volt socket was as simple as a wire came loose on the back of it. I pulled it out of the wall, reattached the wire, crimped it better, and then put the socket back into the wall. All good now.

2. The front exterior light had a switch that had simply gone bad. Found a replacement switch for about $2.00, popped the old one out, new one in, and reattached the wires. All good now.

So... I probably could have fixed those issues a long time ago.

I did check with my dealer on the front cap and they didn't seem all that interested in trying to get Jayco to cover the fading as a warranted repair.

Maybe in a couple years I'll have it redone in white. I figure white will resist the sun and fading in the future. Around 5 years from now or so I am thinking of trading up. We might go with a Jayco Eagle Premier next time around. Possibly a Pinnacle but that might be overkill for our next RV.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

I agree Newbold1 with your review other than ever thing on ours works. For my wife and my self it is a perfect layout the fireplace and island sold us at first glance. The front of ours is fading and it stays inside except when in use.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

Fine review, Newbold1! We've been very satisfied with our 27DSRL, hauled it 6000 miles to the west coast and back in Aug. 2013; and made numerous 3-4 day trips since then. Our daughter lived in it all this summer while she had an internship in the Waco, TX area. Just picked it up on Monday and brought it home, will take it out to Garner SP in two weeks. Main "con" for us is the smallish grey water tank, but it's manageable with care. We also replaced the standard two chairs with two recliners, much more comfortable; also replaced factory mattress with a CW mattress for same comfort advantage.

I appreciate the tip on the bed lift kit, will order one momentarily.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #17

We have now had this RV for 30+ months and we have logged almost 15,000 miles towing it around the country. We just returned from a trip to the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks (3,200 miles round trip for us) and thought it would be a good time to provide some updates to my review.

Issues that have developed are:

1. The slide with the refrigerator in it began to touch the linoleum floor when closed. It reached the point where it would squeak loudly when opening or closing the slide. The floor wasn't damaged but there was a rub spot like wax build-up that did scrape off the floor... fortunately. I saw no easy way to adjust this slide and assumed service on it was going to be costly. Instead, I used my Dremmel tool and a hack saw and shaved a couple millimeters off the bottom of the wood frame on the slide. That solved it and no one would notice it unless I pointed it out. The slide has never leaked... still doesn't... so I think I am okay. Hopefully, this won't gradually return as a problem.

2. The front cap has now faded to the point that I have given up on trying to make it look good. Regular washing and waxing has not worked. If I do not trade this RV in the next couple years then I will almost certainly need to have the front cap repainted.

3. The anti-siphon device on my black flush connection made that feature unusable without getting water on the floor in the bathroom. It was an easy fix and apparently a common problem with a defective anti-siphon device (part).

4. One of the feet on the swivel chairs broke. I ended up buying new swivel bases for both of them and scraped the original ones. Another easy fix since the old and new are just wood screwed to the base of the chairs.

Positives are:

1. The interior of the RV continues to look like new. I have a couple tiny places where the faux wood has been dinged by something falling over or otherwise hitting a wall, door, etc. Nothing bad though and considering we have now logged well over 100 nights in this RV and close to 15,000 miles towing it, I cannot complain.

2. The RV has remained water tight without ever developing a leak anywhere... ever. This is so important in an RV and I am very pleased at how well it was constructed.

3. I did a major cleaning of the roof late last year. It was a surprisingly easy job and the roof cleaned up very well looking almost new again and bright white. I also resealed all of the seals but noticed that the original seals still looked pretty good. My RV "lives" outside even when not in use and it sits in direct sun all day long.
______

My wife and I are really thinking about a fifth wheel as a step up. We want the extra space. We have been pleased with our Jayco and are seriously thinking about a Jayco Pinnacle because we feel we might do well to stay with this brand given our experience.

I think we have put the Whitehawk through a lot more than it was originally designed to handle given the miles we've traveled with it and the number of nights we've camped in it. It has done quite well overall!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #18

Smile Front end cap fading / chalking

I also had this problem. Became very tired of the weathered look and tried some Meguiar's paint care stuff that I use on my C7 Corvette to remove very minor clear coat marks and swirl marks.
My first step was to use an orbital polisher with a polishing foam pad and Meguiars - Mirror Glaze (fine cut liquid cleaner). This can be found at Walmart, or Auto Zone type places. Worked the entire front (in sections) with this fine cut liquid cleaner. Then I cleaned the pad and went over the entire front again with Meguiars - Mirror Glaze (#82 Swirl free polish). Last part is to hand wipe / rubb / polish the entire area with micro fiber towels.

Wow. The front end cap looks like new and I am very happy.

If you are lacking the ability to do this, I think a good paint shop could do this for you pretty cheaply.

Hope this helps, happy camping.
rsherman3421 is offline   Reply With Quote