Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

184BH refrigerator temps

Some time last year when I bought our 184BH, I started a thread on here about installing a fan behind the refrigerator to help improve cooling. In 85 degree plus outdoor temps, I could only get the fridge to cool down to the upper 40's and after installing the fan, I was able to cool down to the upper 30's. During a recent trip, the fan stopped working and we had to move everything to the cooler as it was 90 degrees all week. My question is to other 184BH owners. Does your Norcold 3 way refrigerator cool adequately when it gets in the 80's or higher outside? I have noticed alot of owners posting on here, but I haven't seen anyone else with this problem in the 184BH
Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Not impressed with the chill factor of my 184 BH fridge to say the least.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

I haven't had any trouble with my fridge. In fact last September in 80+ heat I had it set too cold and actually froze and exploded a couple cans of soda. Years ago we had a pop up with a small fridge that didn't get or stay very cold.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
I haven't had any trouble with my fridge. In fact last September in 80+ heat I had it set too cold and actually froze and exploded a couple cans of soda. Years ago we had a pop up with a small fridge that didn't get or stay very cold.
I have owned 3 pop ups over the years, all of the refrigerators worked better than the one I have now, and that is saying something, as I agree, the pop up fridges generally don't work that well.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

In Kansas City, temps can reach 100+ degrees. Generally I don't camp in that weather because it sucks, but anything above 80 and my fridge and AC are non existent.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

xkuzme1- We just got back from Branson. The A/C was ok with high 80's and a fan at the back to blow up to the bunks, but could be much better, sure miss the roof mounted A/C that our pop ups had. It sure is disappointing dealing with a terrible fridge and barely adequate A/C. It will get to 90-95 all summer in Des Moines, and I hate to have that keep us from camping.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #7

I have a plan to place a rooftop unit in the front hole. Coleman makes a mini mach that is only 8000 BTU. I called Jayco and asked them and they gave me a bunch of lawyer talk about, do it at your own risk... I asked to talk to a structural person to give me some hard data on what exactly the roof is made of but I could never get to talk to anyone. The 8000 BTU should do a little better. I figure that I could run a little conduit across the ceiling into the cabinet and plug it into the existing AC plug in. Even at 8000 BTU the wiring could easily handle it. Actually, for the 15 amp circuit, I could run the 5000 BTU window unit on low and the rooftop unit but to be safe, Id only run one at a time. I also like the idea of the 8000 rooftop unit because I could still run the entire camper off of my Champion 2000 watt genny.

We also traded up from a popup camper just last year. I miss the AC in that thing too! With the Coleman Mach 3 on high in the popup camper you could hang meat inside.

Your post and my post seem to be closely aligned. We are going to Table Rock lake (just south of Branson) over the 4th for 5 nights. Plus I just ordered the fan for my fridge. I have a battery fan on the inside already, but the fridge want so impressive, although, I have found that it is a ton better on LPG than AC/DC. In our popup I pulled the fridge out and replaced it with a small dorm fridge with a compressor. The 184 is just a little to pretty to do that too just yet.

So before I go, Ill be modding the fridge, and placing a dowel rod in the front on the bed to help change the bed to a table, adding an additional (more realistically placed) AC outlet under the front bed/table, and buying another black honeywell fan to help disperse what little cold air that thing makes! Wish me luck!

Sorry to hijack the thread. I got on a roll!

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlindsay001 View Post
Some time last year when I bought our 184BH, I started a thread on here about installing a fan behind the refrigerator to help improve cooling. In 85 degree plus outdoor temps, I could only get the fridge to cool down to the upper 40's and after installing the fan, I was able to cool down to the upper 30's. During a recent trip, the fan stopped working and we had to move everything to the cooler as it was 90 degrees all week. My question is to other 184BH owners. Does your Norcold 3 way refrigerator cool adequately when it gets in the 80's or higher outside? I have noticed alot of owners posting on here, but I haven't seen anyone else with this problem in the 184BH
Are you running the fridge on 12V, 120V, or propane when you have trouble cooling? I have a 154BH (which I'm sure has the same Norcold 3-way) and our fridge has keeps up fine running 120V.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Are you running the fridge on 12V, 120V, or propane when you have trouble cooling? I have a 154BH (which I'm sure has the same Norcold 3-way) and our fridge has keeps up fine running 120V.
I have run the fridge with 120V and propane, works great until the outside temps get over 80, then the fridge temps aren't safe for food
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #10

We had a 2012 184BH last year. Last 4th of July we had a site out in the open and baked in 100°+ temps. Our refrigerator, running on shore power, was always in the mid to high 30°. Just make sure it's not packed too tight and the contents are spread out enough for proper circulation. We also had the awning out to shade it from the sun when we could and keep soda, water, beer in a cooler on ice.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #11

Usually where we camp the temp is in the mid 80 range. we always run the fridge on propane as we have no hookups. if we set the 1 to 5 dial on the fridge any higher than 3 it will freeze everything in the fridge. we have the nor cold in the 184bh....happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote