Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

184BH Table is Warping

So the table on my 184 BH is warping. It is cupping and on the outside edges are curving up. I tried all winter storing it upside down to see if it would correct itself. It has not corrected itself at all. I took it to the dealer yesterday and I was told that Jayco would probably refuse to fix it (under warrantee for 4 more months). This is obviously a manufacturer defect. I will not be happy if they refuse to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #2

I'd be very surprised if Jayco did not stand behind that. If you are within your two year warranty, I'd be asking the dealer to take care of it. If you don't get satisfaction, contact Jayco direct.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I'd be very surprised if Jayco did not stand behind that. If you are within your two year warranty, I'd be asking the dealer to take care of it. If you don't get satisfaction, contact Jayco direct.
X2.... and your dealer should not have made an inflammatory statement like that without all the facts....JMHO
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

I have heard of tables warping like that from other posters. Jayco should stand behind that claim.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

X, what ever happened? I just found my 184bh table warped too.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

Your dinette table was constructed with the lowest grade particle board available at the time. Atmospheric moisture and gravity are all it needs to warp. Think about how it's made. There is a moisture proof laminate on the top. There is exposed particle board on the bottom. The exposed particle board absorbs moisture from the air and expands (swells) but the top does not. The bottom surface grows in length and the top doesn't hence the bowl shape of your table.

As others have said and I have done, make a new table out of some 3/4" oak veneer PLYWOOD, not MDF core. Put some 3/4 x 1" or 1.5" solid oak edge banding around it. Next apply 3 coats of Minwax Polyureathane or equivalent to BOTH SIDES. This will eliminate bowing due to humidity and you'll end up with a much nicer, sturdier table to boot.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #7

Jayco agreed to fix it once. Jayco claimed that it was warping because my wife and I use it to sleep on... OMG, isnt that what it was made for? Then Jayco claimed that my wife and I had exceeded the 1000 pound capacity on the bed. My wife and I combined weight 350 pounds. We are well under the 1000 pound capacity.

I am suppose to take it in any day to exchange the table top and they'll reuse the hardware. I am considering converting it to the two leg hard mounted table that you can find in some of the larger Jaycos.

I even stored my table upside down all winter to see if it made a difference... which it didnt.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
Jayco agreed to fix it once. Jayco claimed that it was warping because my wife and I use it to sleep on... OMG, isnt that what it was made for? Then Jayco claimed that my wife and I had exceeded the 1000 pound capacity on the bed. My wife and I combined weight 350 pounds. We are well under the 1000 pound capacity.

I am suppose to take it in any day to exchange the table top and they'll reuse the hardware. I am considering converting it to the two leg hard mounted table that you can find in some of the larger Jaycos.

I even stored my table upside down all winter to see if it made a difference... which it didnt.

X
I am still undecided, I do not know if it will be worth the 2 hours round trip to go to the dealers and get it replaced. I know it will just happen again.. This is what it looks like, not impossible to use to eat on:

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Mine hasn't warped after 3 years. Get your new top while you can....I'm convinced I need to seal my underneath soon....probably a process I'll tackle very lightly with polyurethane.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote