Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

2012 Changes to 24T

Looks like 2012 24T will not have skylight in bath. Perhaps other models. Which means that you have maybe 5'11' of height in shower. So if you are over 5'11" your head tourches the ceiling. I wonder why they eliminated skylight? It is not even an option. We have not bought our first RV yet....still looking, but seems like this eliminates number of buyers from 24T?

I assume they eliminated to keep price lower?

Also went from 2 propane tanks to one. Understand 2 is not even an option. Question......if just wife and I using the RV......and sometimes shower at campground showers.....and not using heat...but AC......and not cooking a lot of stove.....how many days does tank of propane last. It it last over week or more....I would feel ok with one tank...but if only few days.....I would want to get second tank.

Also......does the 3 burner jayco stove ...and oven....cook like household stove and oven.....or is it much different? Example...does it take twice as ling to boil water...and much longer for stove etc?

Also......I have noticed that several brands have toliet which looks much like regular house toliet...I assume the smaller, plastic type is cheaper....but is it easy to buy an upgrade aftermarket and install?
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

If you are not heating with your furnace I would say that a full tank of propane should last over a month. The gas stove is just like any other gas stove and they heat quickly.

It looks like the bean counters are at work again. The skylight in the shower would be a cost factor. Only one propane tank would take some weight off the tongue and for a lot of people wouldn't be a big thing. You could always carry an extra tank in your TV.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

We pulled 2500 miles in 6 days used the propane for the fridge, some hot water, and the heat for an hour or so to take the chill off one damp cool night and were still on tank 1.
We haven't been miserly with it and used it when needed.

I would think that a dealer with a service dept could convert to dual tanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #4

You will just need a rack to hold the two tanks, another tank, and a new regulator.

We live in our trailer for months on end and use the propane for hot water and cooking only. A 30# tank lasts us close to two months.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #5

I am 5'11" and when i'm in the shower , I make sure i'm in the bubble. I hit the ceiling when I move from that area. I agree with you that there would be some who would take a second look. Gas range is great to cook with. Fast. The oven works great too. Depending on what you cook, the bottom will be over cooked unless you use a pizza stone. When we bake we place the sheet on top of an over turned pan. I've found the temp to be very accurate on our oven. The new 2012's have a lighter colored floor i've noticed. I do like ours better but would be ok with the new one.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #6

Other changes to 2012 models

I just found another change to new models. As the second propane tank was eliminated, so was the tank cover. Not a big deal, but they also did away with the "ABS" {plastic} shower covering. Looks like just wallpapper on shower wall now. I am concerned that moisture will seep through the seams. I can see a seam in the wall covering. I assume they made this change ...a negative...to all 2012 in ultralite line?

Any ideas on what to do to protect shower walls? Maybe Jayco can consider putting ABS shower back in new models as seems necessary. Also...think as plastic was elimiated no longer have built in shelfs for soap, shampoo etc. which think was in 2011 model.

So ....two changes in shower....no skylight...so problem if over 5'11" and no plastic wall covering in shower.

Also think headboard was elimated on bed. Not a big deal.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #7

I use to own a 20foot wilderness travel trailer. Built in 97' the ones built after that had changes in the same kind of areas. The outlets were changed so the labour to install them took half the time. Removal of the abs shower stall was another. If a person was handy, you could install the stuff back in. The abs shower stalls or sections you can buy in Home Depot. A carpenter could easily install a bubble in the roof. They sell replacements in the trailer stores. You could also take the opportunity to upgrade to a better product so all is not lost. But I do know that it is a money saving thing the bean counters are doing.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

More changes for 2012

Also noticed spare tire now mounted on rear fender and used to be mounted up on tongue behind and below propane tanks. Does not look as good....and very easy for someone to steal.