Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

2015 vs 2016 WhiteHawk 25BHS

You how good you feel when the latest model of your "new" car comes out and you don't like the styling as much as yours and the price has increased over $3K? Well that's how my DW & I feel about our 2015 WhiteHawk 25BHS compared to the 2016.

We dislike:
1) The island and loss of cabinet space,
2) The door in bathroom,
3) The added weight (Vehicle weight up 820 lbs & Dry Hitch up 90 lbs), and,
4) The added cost of $3343 over ours with similar options.

I believe a standard 1/2 ton TV will struggle towing the 2016 up medium grades. I know my previous 2007 GMC 1500 5.3L would. Our 2015 was bad enough.

We like:
1) That the outdoor kitchen is now standard, and,
2) That the kitchen slides out.

If we were looking to buy a 2016 to be towed with the 1/2 ton TV, we would probably have to look at a different model.

Compare your model with the 2016 model and share your likes & dislikes. We'd like to hear from you and I suspect the factory would like the feedback.

Please, no bashing of inputs by fellow owners.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Another difference, exterior storage latches ... can the locks still be changed-out? IMHO, that is a mod necessary for every camping vehicle so you no longer have the CH751 key but rather a set of locks with a self-determined combination code!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

We dislike the same things!
Djdc900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
You how good you feel when the latest model of your "new" car comes out and you don't like the styling as much as yours and the price has increased over $3K? Well that's how my DW & I feel about our 2015 WhiteHawk 25BHS compared to the 2016.

We dislike:
1) The island and loss of cabinet space,
2) The door in bathroom,
3) The added weight (Vehicle weight up 820 lbs & Dry Hitch up 90 lbs), and,
4) The added cost of $3343 over ours with similar options.

I believe a standard 1/2 ton TV will struggle towing the 2016 up medium grades. I know my previous 2007 GMC 1500 5.3L would. Our 2015 was bad enough.

We like:
1) That the outdoor kitchen is now standard, and,
2) That the kitchen slides out.

If we were looking to buy a 2016 to be towed with the 1/2 ton TV, we would probably have to look at a different model.

Compare your model with the 2016 model and share your likes & dislikes. We'd like to hear from you and I suspect the factory would like the feedback.

Please, no bashing of inputs by fellow owners.

Ken

Well, everyone is ignoring my thread on the 2016 White Hawk, so I'll bump this one.

We are purchasing a 2016 25BHS currently, take delivery this weekend. I think the added weight that you reference is almost all in the floor, correct? I think for 2016 they went to a solid wood floor, rather than the sandwich construction. I am pleased they chose solid wood, personally, it's worth it to me if the trailer weighs a little more.

We REALLY like the rear door in the bathroom, creates a mudroom, and a place for kids to go to take care of business without tracking through the trailer. The 25BHS was the smallest trailer we looked at with this option and weighed heavily on our buying decision.

As for the island, I could take it or leave it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

You are correct though, the added weight puts this trailer right on the edge of 1/2 ton GVWR. I just bough a 2015 Ecoboost with the max tow package so the pulling weight is not an issue at all, however, the tongue weight is. It's a fair point. We will be within range of the 7000 GVWR, but not as much breathing room as the 2015 model.

How have you liked your trailer? We're excited, curious if you have any advice or feedback on owning this model.
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

One thing I would like to add... I have a major gripe with the outdoor kitchen. Why would they not put a sink in? What is more important to an outdoor kitchen than running water? Honestly, I'd rather they leave the stove out and put the sink in (<---exaggeration, for effect).

Will be looking for a camp sink to use. Stinks that they skimped here.

Other than that, good job Jayco. Nice design.
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Outside kitchen aka "Man Kitchen"

What makes a good outside kitchen? We call it the "Man Kitchen" where the DH is the "Master of the Universe" as it is 100% his domain! Needless to say, I gleefully stay out of this space.
BBQ: He cooks most dinners on it, and I clean it ... but SO handy and no splatters.
COOKTOP: To keep moisture down within the TT, we always brew our coffee on the outside cooktop. I may help-out with frying the eggs outdoors (again, reduces inside splatters) but I frequently use the oven for egg casseroles (recipe posted elsewhere in forum).
FRIDGE: No comments needed here - we know whose drinks are kept cold (when we have electricity).
SINK: Many have posted elsewhere that the temperature-adjustable outdoor shower is often used in lieu ... like to rinse veggies or fill dish tubs (and we know who washes the dishes). In our outdoor kitchen we have paper towels, hand-wipes, and soap-less lotion and that seems to suffice and result in one less sink for me to keep clean. Keep in mind one of the biggest problems with TTs is the gray tanks fill-up so much faster than the black tanks ~ not fun when dry-camping!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Hi Zoony,

Congrats on the new TT. I see your point about the door in the bathroom if you have little ones. We don't have kids so we prefer the wall space for towels and our standalone set of drawers with a complete set of bathroom stuff just like we have in our home bathroom.

I have mixed feelings about the floor structure. I've read that the typical floor system is stronger but I like the sandwich flooring because it is warmer in the winter. I may change my mind if ours gets spongy and starts delaminating.

The outdoor kitchen is one of our favorite features. I disagree with your complaint about the outdoor kitchen. The cooktop really helps reduce the moisture inside the TT. We do most of our cooking outside on the cooktop and/or bumper mounted grill and DW does most of the dishwashing in a pan outside when we are dry camping to conserve our fresh water and to slow down filling up the gray water tank. So we wouldn't use the outdoor sink even if we had one.

Anyway, enjoy. I'm sure you'll love it.

Ken

Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

After much consideration, we removed the microwave and refrigerator today from our outdoor kitchen to give us more storage space for our outdoor cooking equipment and supplies. After 2 years and many trips, we realized we weren't using either appliance and would rather have the added cargo space. We plan to use both appliances in our pool house and will reinstall them if we decide to sell the trailer.

Ken

Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

We don't have this WH model. However, the refrigerator is good in my opinion but my husband has talked about taking it out. We would rather have more storage space than the whole kitchen. Right now we cook outdoors on an induction burner on a small folding table provided we have electric. Otherwise having gas in the outdoor kitchen would be a benefit. We do most of our cooking outdoors. Before we got the induction burner, we would cook on the Coleman Roadtrip grill in a cast iron skillet. The outdoor kitchen is a nice option if you get a lot of use. Otherwise it is a waste of space. At he end of the day, it is just a matter of the owners wants, needs and personal preference.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

We have a 2016 Whithawk 25BHS with a 2014 F150, 5.0 l V8. No issues at all with towing. Like the 2 slides and having the island in the center is not really an issue. Dislike the bunks. Too confined for adults/ older teens, but prob great for my 7 Year old nephew. Thinking about removing the top bunk to make the space more of a bunk/sitting up area where you could have a more comfortable space.
3hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #11

When the 2016 WH came out, DW and I joked about trading up. She really liked the idea of the island. I really like the door on the opposite side going directly into the bathroom. As has been said, this creates a sort of 'mud room' entry; especially with the outdoor shower right by the door.
After looking over the new 2016 at a dealership, both opened and closed, DW and I decided the only thing we really liked was bathroom door. She no longer thought the island was a good idea. She really likes the open space.
As for the outdoor kitchen, we got rid of the microwave, and are considering removal of the fridge. Currently the only use it gets is as a sort of cooler because we primarily boondock and rarely use hook ups. We keep it cool by rotating those blue ice packs in and out of the indoor freezer and/or just throwing a few beverages into the indoor fridge in the morning. However, like many others, we do most of our cooking out there.

We have found the back bunks to be great. On a recent hunt, with two of my buddies, they both agreed the bunks were long enough and spacious enough for full grown adults (one of them is 6' 2") and definitely better than sleeping on a small inflatable pad in a tent on the ground.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #12

Glad to hear that 2 adults slept comfortably in the bunk beds. We haven't had anyone camping with us yet. It's amazing how much storage space is created by removing the microwave and refrigerator. We do most of our cooking outside to reduce moisture inside and it is ideal for storing the bumper mounted grill, Coleman coffee pot and other outdoor cooking utensils. We are also thinking of storing some canned goods in there.

By the way, the refrigerator has two screws in the front and one screw down the left side toward the back. The one on the left side is hard to get to. I finally had to buy a cordless right angle screwdriver to remove it. Even then I could barely reach it.

I'm saving all of the brackets and screws just in case I want to reinstall them.

Ken

Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #13

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoony View Post
One thing I would like to add... I have a major gripe with the outdoor kitchen. Why would they not put a sink in? What is more important to an outdoor kitchen than running water? Honestly, I'd rather they leave the stove out and put the sink in (<---exaggeration, for effect).

Will be looking for a camp sink to use. Stinks that they skimped here.

Other than that, good job Jayco. Nice design.
I have the 2016 with a 2016 F150 Eco-Beast and it pulls up and over the Cascade mountains at 65mph without putting your foot through the floor I can't say all 1/2 ton brands can do the same but my truck has the tow rating of 11400lbs and a GVCWR of 17,100 and 1700lb payload. No worries here but FYI - I had a 2006 Tahoe with a tow rating of 7200 and the dealer sold me on the trailer because he said I could pull it with no problems. This being my first trailer I believed him plus we were looking at a smaller trailer and of course fell in love with a bigger one which ended up to be the WH 25BHS and we got it for 27k which I think was a good deal

Now after a summer using it we absolutely love it!! We hem and haw at the island sometimes saying I wonder if the floor space is better or not but in the end we enjoy all the countertop space and it works well to lay out a spread of food when having a meal. As for the back door I couldn't live without it!! It was so hot this summer and not sitting in any shade we had to use the back door like a chamber lock to keep the cold air conditioned air in the main part of the coach. With kids going in and out it was hard to keep it cool so we came up with this idea. Worked well keeping the bathroom door closed and using the bathroom without opening the entire trailer to the hot air. Plus it's great to be used as a mud room and this winter it will be used to come in after skiing with wet clothes and snow covered boots. I have 3 fridges and love it so no cooler packing here also were not big boondockers yet so we're typically hooked to power. But we will try the off the grid thing as we become more of seasone camper Also the outdoor kitchen is perfect minus not having a sink. So I threw the bumper BBQ away after the first use cause it was junk and now I swing the arm that held it around and I put a 5 gallon jug with spout to using for rinsing hands or pans when cooking on my real Coleman road trip BBQ. The 2017 model has the sink so missed out on that one grrr. Thicker floors is way better from the horror stories I have read on this forum so cool with the WH not being and ultra lite anymore. I have seen other 25BHS trailers when going back to the dealer and noticed that what doesn't match mine which I just bought right off the lot as is no custom order is I have side windows on my slide out, sink covers that match my countertop (not the white one), a chrome faucet that pulls out, a third fridge, large propane tanks, 2 batteries, and a frame mounted hitch on the back with a 2" receiver all for 27k. Someone must of ordered one and backed out I just thought all of them were the same until I saw a couple of others at a dealer. I also went a couple of weeks ago since I have had a chance to use her and sized it up to other brands at a couple RV dealers not to far from me. What I found is that I made a great choice because for what I paid it is far better than what I saw except for a couple but the price tag was 8-10k more than what I paid so oh well. To sum it up I love the 2016 island and all I'm very handy so I have done some awesome mods and still always looking for fun things to improve her to my liking.

Mods:
1. Turned the main wardrobe to a 5 shelf closet for my boys (2 bunks but no place for clothes sucked!)
2. Added LED touch lights over the main bed and in the bunks so I don't always need to use the extra bright ones that come with the trailer
3. Push the panel under the bathroom sink back 4-5" to increase the space cause it was a triangular shape that was useless until now.
4. Put on a Irvine folding shower door so no need for a shower curtain
5. Camco on and off shower head off amazon
6. Added a on and off switch on fridge in the front storage to shut it off because it was nearly impossible to get the plug in and out cause the access was so tight
7. Put a remote dimmer on the outdoor led lights so I don't light up like the sun when chilling outside at night
8. Added lots of matching screws to areas where they were lacking on panels both in the coach and storage areas
9. Added a Maxx air vent cover over the only ceiling vent in the bathroom (big complaint here there should be one over master bed and the top bunk for added ventilation!) why Jayco don't skimp on ventilating a box

Loving the trailer life! Journey on to beautiful sunsets and may the sky light up with shooting stars!

Don't judge me by my typos and grammar as I type this with fat thumbs on a little touchscreen buttons on my I-phone
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote