Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

2015 x213

Hello I'm a newby on here... my wife & I were thinking of buying a X213. Where looking for some pros and cons on this TT.. now looking at some posts here I think it might be a little tongue heavy for my TV. I have a Toyota Tacoma with the tow package and the max tow weight is 6500 and max tongue weight is 650.
Yosemite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

Yea, that could get a little tight. The rear bumper can carry a max of 100 lbs. And with the slide in and traveling, you can put 200 lbs on the bed. That would help some. But you'd lose that help pretty quickly, because almost all the storage is at the front. Another member added a small storage area under the king bed. But that would only be a small help.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

I have an 06 Tundra and a 14 x213... I dont think I would feel good about going much smaller with the TV: this is a pretty big trailer! I think tongue weight is around 450lbs without battery or propane filled on the x213. I would recommend a different set up based on about a year with mine and quite a few driving trips under my belt. I dont think you want to mess around being anywhere near capacity of your TV- it will take away from what is supposed to be fun!
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #4

2015 x213

We just went out in our '15 this past several days and weighed the tongue at a truck weight station on our way. 771# which ended up being 16% of the trailer weight. This was with 80# of bikes under the front bunk and front wardrobe packed with clothing for 2 kids and all of our towels. Propane wasn't full although I can't say how much was in the tanks.

Last year when we went without bikes, the tongue was weighing in around 720#.

While the slide can take 200# cargo when travelling, that includes anything packed in the cabinets above the bed. We've got clothing for 3 up there. I once put my expensive stroller on the bed for travelling and it bounced off onto the floor. Sigh. So I find only things like bedding, clothing, towels, etc. are decent to pack there anyway.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

Anybody can buy a Sherline Tongueweight Scale and play around w/ loading the trailer all day long.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

You can grab them off of Amazon.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Anybody can buy a Sherline Tongueweight Scale and play around w/ loading the trailer all day long.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

You can grab them off of Amazon.

There's not a lot of play room in this trailer. The only place to pack stuff in the rear is under the dinette, between the dinette and couch and under the couch.

We end up with camping shares under the dinette, a 5 gallon bottle of water between the dinette and couch as far back as it will go, and then light beach mats, canned drinks and life jackets under the couch. Everything else we have packed in it's proper area so as to not have to rearrange once we arrive at site. i.e. food in fridge and pantry, clothing in front wardrobe, toiletries in bathroom, plates/cups in kitchen cabinets by door, pots/pans in cabinet under stove, clothing in cabinets in slide.

We were going to buy one of the scales for fun, but it ends up there just isn't much rearranging to be done so we skipped the cost. One thing we haven't tried yet is filling with water to see how that changes the tongue weight.

Before we do that, we are going to figure out a decent solution to plug the tank overflow as once water starts coming out the overflow it begins to siphon and you lose a minimum of 1/3 of a tank if the trailer isn't moving. I'd expect more if it was moving. I have to go re-read the thread on here about that to get some ideas.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #7

Just a minor hi-jack, still somewhat on subject. Cheapo method to check tongue weight.

Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #8

We have an x20e and were towing it with a Tacoma. The Tacoma would do it, but you could tell it wasn't happy about it. Regular downshifting at the slightest hill. After an hour or two tow I was tired and so was the truck. Upgraded to an F150 and this tows like the camper isn't there. 8 hr tow trip later and I'm ready for more.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
We just went out in our '15 this past several days and weighed the tongue at a truck weight station on our way. 771# which ended up being 16% of the trailer weight. This was with 80# of bikes under the front bunk and front wardrobe packed with clothing for 2 kids and all of our towels. Propane wasn't full although I can't say how much was in the tanks.

Last year when we went without bikes, the tongue was weighing in around 720#.

While the slide can take 200# cargo when travelling, that includes anything packed in the cabinets above the bed. We've got clothing for 3 up there. I once put my expensive stroller on the bed for travelling and it bounced off onto the floor. Sigh. So I find only things like bedding, clothing, towels, etc. are decent to pack there anyway.
Just wanted to correct my numbers here. Our tongue was actually about 13.7% of the trailer weight. I forgot to include the tongue in the total trailer weight when I calculated that. Basically, we ended up being about 120# over GTW. Yay. NOT. We aren't heavy packers either; but we are packing for 5. Sigh. What not to take next time...sigh.