Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

2015 X23B Questions

New to Jayco & new to the sight, great sight and many great ideas. I'm in the process of ordering a 2015 23B and need some help in deciding on the options listed below:
Options Available
* Enclosed underbelly
* Suspension lift kit (2")
* Power Package: Electric awning with LED light and electric tongue jack
* Outside grill
* 22" HDTV
* Tent end bed mat heaters
Dealership reports no major changes from the 2014 besides some color differences both interior and exterior
looking at 2nd week of April for delivery

Wanting to finalize the price and some of the options are going to be part of the negotiating.

Thanks in advance
WVCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Team

If you plan on any early spring or late fall camping I would definitely get the bed heaters.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

x2 on the bed heaters!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

Get the lift kit. These Ultralites run real low to the ground; the 2" will help you dump your tanks.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

We had a '12 23B so we're a little dated on info but...
If you plan to camp in cold weather (below freezing) the enclosed underbelly would probably be a plus. We didn't have the bunk heaters and were never uncomfortable - coldest we camped was around 28F.
I do recommend PUG's which are aftermarket.
We did not have a lift and I never had problems with the TT being too low (I use a SewerSolution instead of a slinky and it can empty tanks uphill).
We had the electric awning which gave us no trouble but no exterior LED's (I wanted them tho). Electric jack? Absolutely! Ours came with a "cranker" which I upgraded to an electric.
The grill (Sidekick) isn't very good but it was convenient to have the mount for it. Other grills get much better reviews but you may have to build your own mount and figure out how you want to supply the gas to it.
Bigger TV? I'd say yes.
Enjoy your new TT when it arrives!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

Say no to outside grill/BBQ option... they never last very long...

Get yourself a regular portable BBQ instead...way much more usefull...

I bought a Napoleon Travel Q with stand at Costco... like this...mine is blue however

Click image for larger version

Name:	TravelQ_on_stand_napoleon_grills.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	11723

I plug it directly on the TT propane tanks.... perfect for STeak season!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Hope you get the deal sealed soon! We bought an in-stock X20e back in late 2012 so we didn't order ours. We moved up from a Jayco pop-up and overall we have no regrets. In fact, we go to the Seattle RV show every year and I've not yet found another camper that we'd rather have.

If I were buying today I'd go with:
* Enclosed underbelly- without any cold-weather protection we end up winterizing and dry camping more than we'd prefer. Wish we had done this. Would definitely order this if you plan to camp in cool climates
* Suspension lift kit (2")- we haven't encountered any issues so far, but this seems like a no-brainer given the low ground clearance on the jayco ul trailers
* Tent end bed mat heaters- having a warm wife and kids is important to me. it's easy enough to use heated mattress pads or electric blankets, but I would do this if you plan camp in cool areas

I could go either way with:
* Power Package: Electric awning with LED light and electric tongue jack- I don't have this and I'm not sure I would have ordered them. The manual awning is easy as is the tongue jack, since I tend to camp with no power hookups the power usage might be a concern for me.

Personally, I would not order these:
* Outside grill- had an outside stove on my Jayco pop-up and I was always concerned with cooking that close to the wall of my camper. Plus, it seems that other portable grills are better for less cost
* 22" HDTV- I installed my own TV with mount for a fraction of the cost. The install was very easy.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideinWA View Post
Hope you get the deal sealed soon! We bought an in-stock X20e back in late 2012 so we didn't order ours. We moved up from a Jayco pop-up and overall we have no regrets. In fact, we go to the Seattle RV show every year and I've not yet found another camper that we'd rather have.

If I were buying today I'd go with:
* Enclosed underbelly- without any cold-weather protection we end up winterizing and dry camping more than we'd prefer. Wish we had done this. Would definitely order this if you plan to camp in cool climates
* Suspension lift kit (2")- we haven't encountered any issues so far, but this seems like a no-brainer given the low ground clearance on the jayco ul trailers
* Tent end bed mat heaters- having a warm wife and kids is important to me. it's easy enough to use heated mattress pads or electric blankets, but I would do this if you plan camp in cool areas

I could go either way with:
* Power Package: Electric awning with LED light and electric tongue jack- I don't have this and I'm not sure I would have ordered them. The manual awning is easy as is the tongue jack, since I tend to camp with no power hookups the power usage might be a concern for me.

Personally, I would not order these:
* Outside grill- had an outside stove on my Jayco pop-up and I was always concerned with cooking that close to the wall of my camper. Plus, it seems that other portable grills are better for less cost
* 22" HDTV- I installed my own TV with mount for a fraction of the cost. The install was very easy.
I appreciate the info, it always helps to talk with people with real life experience rather than a dealer trying to increase their bottom line.

Lift Kit - I have a Diesel Dually which sits fairly high, so the 2" lift is a must. Dealer reported that this cannot be retrofitted afterwards afterwards using factory parts, it's actually a completely different axle set-up?

Mattress Heaters - My wife and daughter are both in great support! We live in WV and often camp in the mountains where the extra warmth would come in handy during spring and fall. We started out tent camping, owned/sold two pop-ups and never used mattress heaters, so it sounds awesome to have both the tent ends and a warm bed!

Power Package - The power awning and hitch are both features we have on the Laredo we're trading in, love them both and have had no problems with either. This is something we'll order

Outside Grill - Dealer price is $140, we had the outside RVQ on a pop-up we had several years ago and we used it frequently. The grill was somewhat of a mess, but it was nice to cook burgers and hot dogs outside. still undecided, not a must, but it was handy to have.

22" TV - A must with my 3 year old! Not sure if we're going to include it or buy our own. The dealer did say that the TV came with the mounting bracket and a package, price is $275, sounds like I can do better on the open market?

Enclosed underbelly - Not convinced this would add much insulation to anything, but it is nice to have it all buttoned up. Our current TT has the covered underbelly, not much more than 1/4 inch black plastic.

Called another dealer who had a New 2014 on his lot prior to looking into ordering a 2015 from the dealer I have always used, amazing how prices drop when there's competition! The 2014 dropped $2500 in the course of an hour!

Chime in if I'm off on my thinking, need to pull the trigger by Friday to get it hear by mid April
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Were are you looking I guess by my name you can tell I'm from WV also. We have purchased from burdette camping center, setzers RV and our most recent from summit rv in ashland KY

2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

We've always dealt with Roys, Summit has the 2013. We're about 2 hours from Roys and about 4 to Summit, so service is certainly a consideration. Where do you typically camp or I should say where's the best? We have camped at probably 20 or so of the state parks
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Site Team

We camp a lot at summersville lake. We also have camped at black water falls st park, beach fork st park and sutton lake.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #12

Watoga & Cedar Creek are probably our favorite.
Happy Camping
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

We've had 2 ultra lite hybrid Jaycos. Our '03 Kiwi 17a was really low to the ground. Our X20E isn't bad, but I suspect it already has the lift kit (we bought it off the lot).

So yes, get the lift kit.
Skip the grill. Far too much money for what it is. Much better off using your own portable grill.
Skip the 22" TV. Like the grill, you can get your own higher quality TV for less money.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #14

Need to make a decision tomorrow if we choose to order a 2015 with delivery by mid April. I think I have found both dealers' bottom lines:

Dealer #1 has 2014 on lot, only option on it is the power package (electric awning & hitch) is about 4 hours from the house and have not dealt with them previously

Dealer #2 can order the 2015, price is $1,000 more than dealer one with identical options. I can order other options at their cost (previously listed in the thread). This dealer is closer and we have bought/sold our last three campers.

As for options, I appreciate all that provided feedback, if we choose to order, we are set on the lift kit, bunk/mattress heaters, the grill & TV we will purchase or try to negotiate.

Question is, would you pay an extra grand for a year newer model? Our track history has been to pay off the camper we have and trade within 4-5 years.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #15

Lots of options. I would question if you can get an enclosed underbelly. The frame has lots of holes in it to lighten the weight; the lower skirt is very light weight too. Also if you add the enclosed underbelly you will significantly reduce the cargo capacity. These HTTs do not have a large cargo (weight) capacity.

2” suspension, very personal, and I think would depend on the places you want to go. I thought I would want it, but the dealer made me a good deal on a unit in stock, so I did not get it. We have never needed it. Once at a KOA we had a bad sewer hookup drain position. If you are thinking about a blue sewer tote, consider a Therford Smarttote.

We went out and bought our own heated mattress pads. The only disadvantage to them is, is it you have to store that when you are not using them. If they are built into the mattress they you all ways have them and you only have to plug them in.

Power options; I think you can only get the 23B with an electric awning. I really like the looks of the new LED lights under the awning. That I would absolutely get, and I think that is standard. Power jack, that is very personal. I do not have one, for me it is no big deal to crank the handle, if I was 15-30 years older that might be a different story.

Grill, leave it at the store, and buy a good table top stove and/or grill. I have one of each, we utilizing a small 11 pound propane tank with a multiport manifold. We set it up on the picnic table and keep the heat and mess outside the HTT (easier cleanup).

22” TV, that is very personal. Personally, I removed it after our trip. We do carry a small tablet, for the kid to be entertained when needed. We have a number of movies downloaded to it. He only watches it when the weather is poor, or as he is falling asleep at night in his bed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #16

Jagiven, appreciate your detailed response, so are you saying yes or no to the covered underbelly? I never thought about the increased weight, by my calculations even w/out any liquid in the tanks it would be south of 1,000 pounds in cargo...........not much to work with once you start packing it!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

I would say No to the enclosed underbelly. We have been out in the low 20 degree range (night) and have had no issues with the exposed tanks. The floors are a little cool, but not bad.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVCamper View Post
Need to make a decision tomorrow if we choose to order a 2015 with delivery by mid April.
That's pretty good turn around time. I ordered mine 8 weeks ago and its still not in; I'm told the awful cold/snowy weather we've been having has slowed things down up in Northern Indiana (where Jaycos are made).
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

I'll report back once it's delivered, I'm hoping mid April. The salesman called Jayco while we were there last weekend and they said they were starting to build a group next week? I too thought a 6-week turnaround was pretty quick. Let me know if you get yours before we get ours.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #20

I just read your questions about your new x23b! I also am new to this sight, and camping, I ordered a new x23b also, to be delivered in late March. I've done tons of research for at least a year, and I believe this is the best hybrid out there. When does yours arrive?
Thanks Mike Eagle Nebraska
kepami03 is offline   Reply With Quote