Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH

Wanted to get some opinions. We are new at this. We have a 2015 Chevy Tahoe with a tow package. It can tow 8400lbs. We are looking at the new (2016)and used ( 2013) White Hawk 28dsbh. Two questions....
1) The weight of these trailers are about 6100lbs. Are we going to be OK with appropriate sway hitch etc. with towing?
2) The used 2014 White Hawk is nice and would cost $16300+ tax and tags. The 2016 White Hawk same version 28DSBH would cost $23,000 + tax and tags. We really like the new look of the 2016. We like the new cap, interior options, outdoor tv hinge, pocket doors for privacy, etc. Are we crazy to go new on our first trailer?

Any feedback from experienced folks will help. Thanks.
allen9426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

That combo will tow very nicely. We have a 2012 Whitehawk at 6000 pounds and a Silverado with a 7700 tow capacity-- has worked great for us even in the mountains.

I would get the new White Hawk---they have made many small design improvements over the last few years. And that front cap will prevent fading!

Good luck with the RV shopping!

Jeremy
RVFamilyTravelAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

I see nothing wrong with buying new for your first trailer...
That's what I did.

You need to look at what your Tahoe "payload" is. It should be on the driver door jam sticker.

Make sure the weight of the trailer tongue (yours is around 800-1000lbs) plus all passengers and luggage..ect doesn't exceed your trucks payload. (It really shouldn't exceed 80% of payload for comfortable driving)

I think Tahoes are a half ton truck. If so it could be to much trailer for it.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #4

Hello. I looked up the payload online. It is 1715lbs with towing capacity 8400lbs with towing package. Looks like dry hitch weight is 655. Please see below specs of 28dsbh.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 6020
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 655
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 7500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 1480
Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #5

Looks like you could be ok. 1715lbs isn't all that much though. I think you will have around 800 lbs tongue weight at least when you get all your camping gear in the trailer (no fluid in tanks).
The weight Distrubition hitch you will need weighs 100lbs.
Each passenger weighs around 150 lbs.

4 passengers 600lbs, tongue 800lbs, 100lbs for the hitch, 150lbs in fuel...
1650lbs is close but not over so you could be ok.

My payload is 2800lbs but I don't use all of it. I don't like having anything in the bed of my truck while towing keeping the payload as low as I can.
It handles a lot better without the extra weight, no sway when being passed by trucks.
With weight in the bed while towing I'll get sway from passing trucks and porpoising also happens when loaded.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #6

OK so nothing in my door about payload. I think that 1700 is low as well. I have a call into Chevy they have not been helpful. Most of the White Hawk Trailers even the smaller ones have a 600lb hitch weight. Here are the specs for the 2015 Tahoe ( I do have the towing package with cooling system/brake control) from Chevy's website,

Capacities
EPA interior volume
(cu ft / L):
120.8 / 3420
GVWR: (lb / kg):
2WD: 7100 / 3220
4WD: 7300 / 3310
Payload maximum
(lb / kg):
2WD: 1702 / 772 (with 3rd seat)
4WD: 1760 / 798 (with 3rd seat)
Trailer towing maximum (lb / kg):
2WD: 8600 / 3900
4WD: 8400 / 3810

Curb Weight of Tahoe...Curb weight (lb / kg):
4WD: 5683 / 2577 (with 20-in. wheels)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Some notes:

There should be a tire and loading sticker somewhere on your vehicle. Typically it's found in the driver's door jam; most have a yellow bar on top and bottom and it will list your tire sizes and air pressures. It will say "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed XXXX lbs". This is specific to your vehicle as equipped.

Forget the "tow rating" listed for your Tahoe. You'll never get there with a travel trailer before you exhaust the payload rating.

If you want to know your actual payload capacity for sure, take your Tahoe to a scale as loaded (or simulated load) for how you'll tow, and weigh it. Your GVWR (found on your VIN plate) minus your scale result is your actual available payload. Don't forget 50-100 lbs for weight distribution hitch and tackle.

While you could be a little over on payload (not recommended, but it happens) you definitely don't want to be over your axle GAWR, so you need to know that number too.

1715 lbs actually sounds a bit high. Remember that the weight specs you'll find online are typically without options. If you've added anything to the truck, your payload will decrease. This is more of a problem in pickups (think tool boxes, step rails, bedliners, light bars...) but is still a consideration in SUVs.

Trailer brochure dry weights (tongue or trailer weight) are not a good indication of what your trailer will weigh when you're towing it down the road for a trip. No one uses their trailer dry as it is listed in the brochure. Your propane tanks, batteries, and any options add to those weights as well as all your camping gear. How/where you load gear in your trailer directly affects tongue weight. If you can see one in person, the trailer will have an "as shipped" weight that includes propane and batteries. Add 500-1000 lbs for gear, and that gets you a lot closer to real world weights.

A trailer that long tows better with more tongue weight. So while the recommended tongue weight is 10-15%, you will want to be closer to 13-15% on the tongue.

IMO, it's a lot of trailer for a Tahoe. Not that it can't be done or be done safely, just that it's a lot for the truck.

Best of luck with your decision!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

With new - you get the 2-year warranty! With all the shaking/shivering your TT will take, it is unbeatable. Also, it is ALL yours, no one else has slept on the bed, used the bathroom, etc..

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

I am planning to buy this trailer and will tow with short wheelbase SUV (will not mention the model to avoid all comments around this). To avoid sway I am planing to use Pro-Pride hitch, which adds 100 lbs of tongue weight (in comparison to a standard WD), but you do not have to put a lot on the tongue to have a stable combo.

I would say that it is not all the numbers you can read re payload, towing capacity, but the design of the car which makes the towing safe and comfortable (suspension, rear overhang, brakes, etc.).

As a side note - $23k for a new unit is pretty good price. Where did you get this price? This is with some optional features or without?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Price East Coast ( have not purchased yet so don't want to disclose dealer) This price can be had. I communicated with two dealers one had it and another would have had to order it would cost a little more if ordered 23,780 + tax tags. Options Fancy cap, fridge, folding table, ladder, glacier package, sky light

Thanks for the advise. Most travel trailers have a hitch weight at about 600lbs. The weight is almost 3K less for towing. I understand that the pay load can be an issue and ensuring getting proper equipment. My kids are three under 10 so they are light. I plan on purchasing a full size truck in the next three years as a second car. The 2015 Tahoe is impressive ( I have had it a year and a half) with what I have been able to use it for to date. I just have never towed a 30ft camper before. I imagine the furthest we would travel would be an hour to two hours. Plenty of places to camp close. No mountains. We do not plan on traveling cross country.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

I have a 2015 and love it......tow with a Ram 1500 that can tow 7900 and have no issues at all......even climbing mountains......good luck
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #12

Our TT is a couple of feet shorter than what you are looking at, and I didn't like towing it with our Tahoe nearly as much as I do with the CC Silverado... night and day difference due to the wheelbase. Not saying you can't live with it for awhile, but you will be much better off with a long wheelbase truck.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

I towed a 26BH briefly with a Tahoe, albeit a 2004 which still had the 4 speed, and it didn't take long to upgrade. We were right at the payload with 2 adults and 2 kids <40lbs. My 26 BH once loaded but dry had a TW ~800#, the brochure was 500#. Again my issue was the 4 speed, a newer 6 speed is no doubt better so I won't condem your TV based on the information provided.

I will take a different opinion than most on new vs used however. I have done it both ways, and will never go new again for a couple reasons. Number one is price & depreciation; I don't finance so I don't consider the purchase based on a monthly payment and looking at a 2 yr old in my case for >50% off MSRP and 25% better than the best I could negotiate for a new unit was a no brainer to me. Depending on if you want to look at savings from MSRP or the best negotiated price I could do, $6500 - $15000 savings will pay for a lot of repairs.

Secondly most of us don't know what we don't know and RVs are very rarely held as long as one thinks when they buy it. I sold my first one in 2 years, the forum is full of folks looking to get out or upgrade in 1-3 years. Owning a TT free of a loan at a much lower cost allows me the flexibility to trade RVs much easier. If you are confident that this is the unit for you and you will keep it and use it for 8-10 years then by all means buy new, if not let someone else take the depreciation and you get the value out of it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #14

I agree with Club House. I did a lot of work and research. I ended up getting a 2013 White Hawk 28DSBH for $15,000 off private seller. This made the decision to buy used a no brainer given that it was almost 10,000 cheaper. I feel like my efforts have paid off and I do not think I would have gotten that price if it were not the week before Thanksgiving. The unit is in perfect shape and has every possible option.
I towed it home. The Tahoe did not have any issues but my concern is the 2015 Tahoe has very short mirrors. You cannot see to back it up. Chevy stated that they do not have an adaption set for it yet as it is newer. ( This truck has been out for almost 2 years). I ordered a universal mirror extension. I am hoping that it works as the mirror system on the new Tahoe has been my biggest issue.

I will be buying a F150 or Tundra in the next two years to compliment the Tahoe. This will give me options. Granted when I towed it home the unit was not packed but no sway, no issues going up hills. Just issues backing up...... I have to resolve the mirror problem.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #15

Allen - Congratulations on the purchase, sounds like you made a good choice. I have a 2012 Tahoe and a 2014 White Hawk 29REKS that we really like. I don't know what kind of hitch you have, but we have the Equal-i-zer and it seems to do a good job, however it needs to be adjusted pretty firm to minimize sway when running down the interstate. Something to keep in mind - your trailer tires are rated for 65 MPH maximum, so keep the speed down. You'll want to keep a close eye on your trailer tires as the term "China bombs" is used pretty freely so check inflation pressure often. You might want to consider spending some of the money that you saved on the used purchase for a set of new trailer tires maybe next spring.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen9426 View Post
The Tahoe did not have any issues but my concern is the 2015 Tahoe has very short mirrors. You cannot see to back it up. Chevy stated that they do not have an adaption set for it yet as it is newer. ( This truck has been out for almost 2 years). I ordered a universal mirror extension. I am hoping that it works as the mirror system on the new Tahoe has been my biggest issue.
Just getting some of the universal fit mirror extensions will make a huge improvement.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #17

I have a 2016 White Hawk DSBH. I towed it since I got it in July with a Ram 1500. It was miserable. It didn't feel safe, I almost died a couple times from other drivers and the mileage was 5-6. Everyone trying to justify towing a large trailer with a half ton is trying to get people killed. This trailer weighs 6500 lbs dry. Once you use it you're pushing 8000 lbs. I bought a Ram 2500 with the Cummins last month and I've never been happier. It's a night and day difference. I would NEVER tow a 8000+ camper with a light duty truck/suv ever again. For my own families safety and other people on the roads safety.
Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #18

We sold our 2005 Rockwood and bought a 2015 White Hawk 28bh. There's a yellow sticker on the drivers side of the trailer that tells you the shipped dry weight (minus batteries and propane). Mine is at just under 6000#. I tow it with a 2011 Ford Expedition 4x4 and it pulls just fine. The GVWR on the trailer is 7500# and my Ford is rated to tow 8900-9200# depending on where you read. We took an 8 hr (each way) trip this thanksgiving and my Ford pulled it no problem. I would certainly not go any heavier than this nor tow it with water unless I had to though. My Rockwood was only 4600# dry so this was a 1400# jump in weight
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzle View Post
I have a 2016 White Hawk DSBH. I towed it since I got it in July with a Ram 1500. It was miserable. It didn't feel safe, I almost died a couple times from other drivers and the mileage was 5-6. Everyone trying to justify towing a large trailer with a half ton is trying to get people killed. This trailer weighs 6500 lbs dry. Once you use it you're pushing 8000 lbs. I bought a Ram 2500 with the Cummins last month and I've never been happier. It's a night and day difference. I would NEVER tow a 8000+ camper with a light duty truck/suv ever again. For my own families safety and other people on the roads safety.

I agree. I almost bought the 28dsbh when I had a 2013 ram 1500. The horrible payload capacity of the ram made it a no go for me. I was not happy as the truck was new...I fixed that by ordering a 2014 ram 3500 cummins....and went the toy hauler route

But I agree...8000lb trailer with half ton where the tongue weight alone likely puts one at or over the vehicle gvwr is not something I want to do
Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #20

Also, I have a hard time believing a real world Tahoe has 1700lbs payload?? My 2013 ram 1500 had 1061...I might be wrong as I would never look at a Tahoe to tow a 30ft plus long trailer due to wheelbase, but that payload capacity seems awfully high. If it that high per the door sticker or cat scale results, I stand corrected.