Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

27DSRL First Outing Report

DW and I ordered our fully optioned 2015 27DSRL back around October. It was delivered just before Christmas to our dealer, Richardson RV in Menifee CA and we picked it up on 2 January. We finally got to take it out this weekend and here is the lowdown.
Purchased a new Equal-I-zer 1k/10k WD hitch and installed it myself when we first picked up the trailer. I'm still fussing with it, fine tuning it. The trailer tows acceptably well as I have it now but I am an inveterate tinkerer and just can't leave it alone. It is close as is but I think I can get it better.
Towed a total of about 230 miles round trip. All lights, brakes, electric tongue jack and electric stabilizers etc. performed as designed.
Performed the standard un-hitch/setup routine with no surprises. All interior electrical worked as advertised.
We were at a full hookup campground so we had city water. Seemed to take a long time to get all the air bled out of the plumbing but we finally got there. Water heater worked on both electric and gas and got VERY hot.
Checked again for water leaks, found none.
Refrigerators (yes there are 2!) got cold on gas and electric.
All windows opened and closed normally. Electric awning opened and closed normally.
Really, everything worked well with the exception of the thermostat and heating system. When it finally got cold enough to need the heater I turned it on at the thermostat and slowly adjusted the temperature upward until the heater fan started. The heat started and kept blowing, and blowing, and blowing until the trailer was almost uncomfortably warm then it shut off. We waited and waited and waited for it to get cool enough inside for the heater to kick on again. It finally did come on but not until it was uncomfortably cool. Apparently there is something that needs adjusting in the thermostat if that is possible. Also, the location of the thermostat puts it in a protected area shielded from any moving air if the bathroom door is open. Another issue with the heating is the balancing of the ducting. The bedroom gets very little heat, the bathroom gets warm enough to bake bread and the living area gets very little. I have checked out the ducting as much as I can and it is all connected and not restricted. I will do some experimenting to see what I can do about the imbalance. What happens is that if the bathroom door to the living area is closed all the heat goes into the bathroom and bedroom making the bedroom way to warm forcing you to open all the interior doors. Not acceptable but something I think I can fix.
As for other features, we were very impressed with the microwave. It is extremely quiet and reasonably powerful. The radio and TV are working as they should.
Really, all in all it was a very successful outing with no breakdowns or surprises of any sort with the sole exception of the heating system.
Bottom line is that the DW is happy and you all know what they say:
Happy wife, happy life!
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Glad to hear you had a mostly pleasing experience with your 27dsrl. We took delivery on our 2015 model in March last year.
I've only used my heater once and for just a couple of hours to warm up the camper in the morning.
I replaced the bathroom faucet with a larger one from my local hardware store. The original was just large enough to wash my finger tips.
I also replaced the shower head with one that has a shut-off (to conserve water). Some on this site have suggested using a kitchen sink sprayer head?
I had trouble with the shower leaking at the rear corners against the walls. Be sure to remove the access plate at the base of the shower and look under the shower.
The flexible seal at the bottom of the shower door ripped apart so I replaced with the seal at the top of the door and it ripped apart also.
The water does get extremely hot - it would be nice to be able to adjust the temperature.
This is our first camper and should have been more aware of the consequences of fitting my 6'-4" frame on an 6'-2" bed. I'm looking how I can get a standard queen mattress in the bedroom.
Other than what I have mentioned above we are happy with camper.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Russ,
Congrats on the new TT and the first outing. Is your thermostat digital or the older "mercury switch" type? I don't think they're adjustable so I'd suggest a dealer visit for replacement. We've had both and I much prefer the digital.
For heating we use a small 1500W electric heater and rely on the furnace mostly for early-morning take the chill off. Our duct work seems pretty well balanced but none of the floor registers are adjustable. I would probably experiment with taping cardboard of various sizes over the registers to see if they could be balanced and then substitute plastic under the vent. Careful not to block too much airflow tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Russ,
Congrats on the new TT and the first outing. Is your thermostat digital or the older "mercury switch" type? I don't think they're adjustable so I'd suggest a dealer visit for replacement. We've had both and I much prefer the digital.
For heating we use a small 1500W electric heater and rely on the furnace mostly for early-morning take the chill off. Our duct work seems pretty well balanced but none of the floor registers are adjustable. I would probably experiment with taping cardboard of various sizes over the registers to see if they could be balanced and then substitute plastic under the vent. Careful not to block too much airflow tho.
Thermostat is a Coleman Mach brand, I don't really know if it is digital or not but if I had to guess I'd say it is not. I'll try removing the cover to take a look inside.
We have a small heater but did not use it on this trip. I found some adjustable vents and floor registers on Amazon that are made for RV heating systems. The ones I ordered should be a straight swap and hopefully will allow me to better balance the air delivery. The vents in the living area are not adjustable for flow so I should not have any issues with blocking too much airflow.
Question: Do these units have 2 speed heater blowers? I'm sure the AC does but I've only heard one speed from the heater. Thanks
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

I replaced the stock thermostat with a digital one. Make a great difference. Keeps the temp much more stable and can be adjusted in one degree increments.

The Coleman digital thermostat is available from Amazon for about $70.

It takes about 10 minutes to make the swap.

I also replaced the faucet in the bathroom. Standard 4 inch fitting. Lines should be able to be untightened by hand and retightened by hand.

There are threads on this forum about both of these upgrades.

There is only one heater speed. Close the vents somewhat in the bath and bedroom to control a/c thru out the trailer. No way to control distribution of heat, except the digital thermostat will shut off in a much tighter range than the analogue one.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote