Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

A/C Freeze up

I have a Jayco 197 and it is freezing up after running for only 3 hours. It is only 3 years old. Checking to see if anyone has had this problem, and is there a way to check the charge in this unit. It is a Coleman without heater.
Thanks for any ideas..
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #2

It's unlikely that you have low charge. These units do not use a large amount of refrigerant and any leak at all would lose enough so that it wouldn't cool at all.First, I would clean filters and check the evaporator coil for dust/dirt/lint buildup tha would be restricting air flow. There is a way to check for correct charge by measuring currentdraw, but it reqires a clamp-on amp meter. Look for the simple stuff first.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

I agree with Bob, check to make sure there is proper air flow. There are 2 reasons that A/C units freeze up, restricted air flow and low coolant. The first one you can check out and probably fix if it is the cause. The second one needs to be handled by a professional.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #4

OK I will do that today, thanks for the ideas. I found some coil cleaner at Lowes but it said it was for the condenser, will this work for inside coils.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #5

OK up date. I think my thermostat is broken as my compressor will not shut off with it set to the lowest part on the knob. Does anyone know if you can use a regular thermostat on this unit. It should hook up the same fan, power and compressor.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

I have a 2009 Jay Feather 197 and the temperature controller for the A/C is built in. Personally I would just take it back to the dealer and have it serviced. My fear would be that I'd make it worse and then it would be even more expensive when I finally took it in for service.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Another thing to check ...

Another thing to check is the thermocouple that senses whether or not the coils are getting ready to freeze up. If you drop the cover and filter, you should be able to see up into the coils. Most brands have a thermocouple inserted on or into the coils. It is a small metal tube with two wires (usually white) coming off it. Some use some kind of bracket to hold it in place, but mine was just jammed in between two of the coils.

It fell out when traveling, and things froze up the next time I used the A/C. I simply pushed it back in where it came from, and things have been fine since ...
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote