Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Adding 2nd AC to WH 33BHBS

Hi,

I've been doing some research and I've made up my mind to add the second AC unit to the back master bedroom of our trailer. The 15k unit just can't keep up in weather 90 or higher. I have the roof plans from Jayco and it shows the location of the 2nd AC option. I don't have 50A, so I'm planning on adding a separate 20A circuit and running an extra cord to the pedestal.

So, I feel comfortable in doing the project, but there is one thing I cannot come to a conclusion on. Should I tie into the existing duct (if possible), or just a direct downflow into the bedroom? Are there any adverse effects possible from running both AC units at the same time, feeding the same duct?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

I too will be adding a second AC unit to the Octane TH specified in my signature section below. I contacted my local dealer and asked if the second AC unit would be duct-ed and they said no. They claim it would be non-duct-ed and therefore not operated via the wall t-stat. My TH TT is different than yours in that the main bedroom is up front and the single duct-ed AC unit is a pretty good distance from the bedroom. I do have the 50 amp upgrade however, I plan installing an 11K BTU Super Saver Coleman unit because that will afford the ability to run a single Yamaha 2000 gen. with no problem while boondocking as long as I'm sure sure to disconnect the main inverter so the battery charger won't create an overload and also switching the fridge to propane. I elected not to go with an on board gen. and will be pairing two 2000 watt Yamahas to run the main 13.5 AC and other stuff during the day (not both ACs together, however) when boondocking. Of course, if we are at a 50 amp CG hook-up, I could then safely run both ACs and most other items because I am set up with the 50 amp Progressive surge protector first from the pole, 50 amp Hugh's autoformer second followed by a Sure Guard multi-phase protector. Based on what I learned here on this venue, I should be good to go for most power needs.

I will most likely later get into a decent solar system as well as upgrade the brakes to the Kodiak 7K disc brake system to go with the 17.5" tires and wheel upgrade. Sorta, kinda seems like these upgrades are and will be endless and expensive but, if one is going to be in it for the long haul, it is what it is, eh?
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

On my last 5th wheel I added a second unit in the roof vent of the bedroom. I did not duct into the camper just blew down though the cover they provided, worked fine. I had to run my own wires from the vent opening to the breaker panel. Although it was hard, it was worth it. I had a 50 amp service, so all I had to do was buy a breaker and place it next to the 1st AC so this AC would be on a different leg.

Tim
tdcoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

We are still debating about whether to add a 2nd AC to our 28.5RSTS 5th wheel. If we do we will definitely tie it into the ducting. We figure that many nights it is cool enough we wouldn't have to run the one above the bedroom so the noise level would be less. Another option is when only one AC is needed during the day we could run the bedroom one and then the living area would be quieter.
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ForCamping View Post
Hi,

I've been doing some research and I've made up my mind to add the second AC unit to the back master bedroom of our trailer. The 15k unit just can't keep up in weather 90 or higher. I have the roof plans from Jayco and it shows the location of the 2nd AC option. I don't have 50A, so I'm planning on adding a separate 20A circuit and running an extra cord to the pedestal.

So, I feel comfortable in doing the project, but there is one thing I cannot come to a conclusion on. Should I tie into the existing duct (if possible), or just a direct downflow into the bedroom? Are there any adverse effects possible from running both AC units at the same time, feeding the same duct?

Thanks!
I tied into duct and used a ceiling assy. that I could use either way, bedroom only or thru ducts. I've found I don't need much help in the bedroom but by going thru ducts It's helps a lot in the living room and kitchen.