Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

After Market Step Brace

We made it to Maine. Love the Lobster and cool nights. We installed the pictured brace to help us at night. It's real loose after 3 months. Won't snug up. What do we do to get it tight - glue? TIA....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2012 Horton Car Hauler
1997 F250 Light Duty - gone but loved
Catmike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

How did you install that?
I was thinking of adding one to our trailer, but never did as I did not know where there would be enough support in the wall to hold it. I isn't much behind the fiberglass to screw into unless you have reinforced areas specifically meant for that type of handle.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure you have to through bolt those. You will need to drill through the sidewall into the interior. Then you use a wood or metal plate on the inside so it can't pull through.

Good luck
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

My brother did this. He used lag screws and a full coating of 3M fast cure marine adhesive. You'll delaminate and tear the fiberglass before you break the adhesive.

Since you're not pulling on it (I.E. using it like a grab handle) this will work fine.

3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Fast Cure White, 06535, 1 oz tube (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E1ULRE..._hAtMxbCK5JGR7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #5

Hand Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to through bolt those. You will need to drill through the sidewall into the interior. Then you use a wood or metal plate on the inside so it can't pull through.

Good luck
That is exactly how it should be installed. If one were to stumble on the steps and grab that rail for support, if it were not through bolted it would rip whatever it was screwed to apart.

Someone sooner or later will pull or brace their body weight on the grab rail. I have small handles on my trailer and they are almost useless. I'm gong to install these type grab rails.

Heck my outdoor grill bracket had five 3/4" screws holding it in, just through the fiberglass. I noticed it fell off and is hanging by one screw. I'll reattach it after I fill the holes with epoxy. I'll use some 5200 marine sealer on it when I screw it back in place.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

"Since you're not pulling on it (I.E. using it like a grab handle) this will work fine."

Who said they wouldn't use it like a grab handle? After all that is what it is, a grab handle.

It would be/is a hazard if it can't support someone using it to grab and pull their weight up the stairs. Why else have one at all?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

After Market Step Brace

I've never seen anyone use that to "pull their weight up the stairs" ... all I have ever seen anyone use it for is a handrail to assist in balance.

But... whatever works for you....
Drill through the wall - by all means.

Ours has survived four years, several adults, and who knows how many toddlers and kids going up/down, in/out who knows how many thousands of times. That's good enough for me.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
"Since you're not pulling on it (I.E. using it like a grab handle) this will work fine."

Who said they wouldn't use it like a grab handle? After all that is what it is, a grab handle.

It would be/is a hazard if it can't support someone using it to grab and pull their weight up the stairs. Why else have one at all?
I have to agree with this, a stumble or a fall against this not installed solid could be bad. My 3 yr old was swinging off of ours last trip. I told her to stop but at least it didn't rip out of the wall
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
I've never seen anyone use that to "pull their weight up the stairs" ... all I have ever seen anyone use it for is a handrail to assist in balance.

But... whatever works for you....
Drill through the wall - by all means.

Ours has survived four years, several adults, and who knows how many toddlers and kids going up/down, in/out who knows how many thousands of times. That's good enough for me.

I would be pulling my weight up the stairs. With my handicaps, I would have to.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Mine came with the unit and is sturdy enough to use to pull up if needed. It could be that there is a "sweet" spot in there that has some bracing for it inside. I would think that there is nothing different about its construction with or without so I'm thinking it's just a matter of locating the strong spot.

The way it's constructed will not allow side motion without folding left or right. We close it over the screen door to discourage the pups from opening the screen if we are outside and when traveling it's also used to keep the door from popping open for some reason.

I don't care for the thru bolt idea but agree if it's not stable, it may be needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

Through bolting isn't the only way to have a sturdy grab bar. It's just when the wood stud splits or the installer missed the stud altogether you need too.

This is how they should be installed into the stud.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Like Norty, ours was factory installed and is not through bolted. I had it off a few weeks ago so I could replace the foam handle, and the screws that hold it in are a heavy gauge at least a #10, maybe #12? They are certainly biting into something very solid behind; I would say it was metal rather than wood structure based on the tightness of the screw all the way out, but mine is aluminum framed. That leads me to also believe that there is a "sweet spot" for the mount, at least on models that offer it as an option (was standard equipment for our model year). Add a bit of butyl tape behind to keep things dry.

One question to OP, when you say it is loose, do you mean the mounts on the wall are loose, or that the handle itself has become sloppy? There are two springs inside the mounts that keep the handle pulled down tight to the mounting bracket, and if one is broken it could cause looseness. My foam replacement kit included new pivots and springs as well.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Like Norty, ours was factory installed and is not through bolted. I had it off a few weeks ago so I could replace the foam handle, and the screws that hold it in are a heavy gauge at least a #10, maybe #12? They are certainly biting into something very solid behind; I would say it was metal rather than wood structure based on the tightness of the screw all the way out, but mine is aluminum framed. That leads me to also believe that there is a "sweet spot" for the mount, at least on models that offer it as an option (was standard equipment for our model year). Add a bit of butyl tape behind to keep things dry.

One question to OP, when you say it is loose, do you mean the mounts on the wall are loose, or that the handle itself has become sloppy? There are two springs inside the mounts that keep the handle pulled down tight to the mounting bracket, and if one is broken it could cause looseness. My foam replacement kit included new pivots and springs as well.
Thank you, thank you all for your excellent input. It was tight as a drum. Wife put it on with two screws that came in the pckg. But on a dark Maine night, I fell down the stairs and this item saved me. It's loose as a result.
2012 Horton Car Hauler
1997 F250 Light Duty - gone but loved
Catmike2 is offline   Reply With Quote