Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Am I going to be happy?

Started researching Hybrid TT and looks like Jayco fits the bill with the X17Z tandem axel. I have a 2011 Tacoma dual cab prerunner with towing package. Am I pusing the limit with this tv? I have and tow a 21ft boat that has an approx weight of 2900 loaded.
I assume the tandem axel will tow better?

open for any suggestions?
fishguy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

I have a 184BH and pull it with my Xterra. I am not sure what your Tacoma is specked to pull but I think it is probably equal to my Xterra or more.

The 184BH and the X17Z look to have about the same weight so it would be a good comparison if the vehicles are about the same.

I have not had any real issue except for really long pulls with the trailer fully weighed down (all tanks full and a bunch of junk inside). We took a week long trip to Yellowstone from Salt Lake City and I had no issue pulling the entire time.

For my vehicle, I say that I am maxed out and would not even think about getting anything bigger/heavier without replacing my vehicle.
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

If its the v6 you won't have any problems
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

I don't know if Jayco has made major changes to the X17Z, but that has been a single axle trailer for the past several years at least. You might want to checkout Jayco's website or order a brochure. Better yet, go see one at a dealer.

I pulled a X17Z with a 2010 Tacoma Xtracab, towing package, and 6 cyl. Handling was not a problem, but if I went faster than 60 mph I only got 7 - 8 mpg. There should be some old threads on this forum about that you can find with a search.

If you get serious about the 17Z, measure the tongue weight with a scale while it's still at the dealer.

BTW, our 17Z made several roundtrips between Cincinnati and St. Petersburg, Cincinnati and Yellowstone, Michigan's UP, and many local trips. It was a great TT, but our situation changed and we needed bigger.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

We had an X17Z and towed it with our Honda Pilot (4500 pound tow rating). The Pilot did the job well, so you really shouldn't have any issues. Make sure you use a weight distribution hitch, though.

BTW, the X17Z is a single axle, not a tandem.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Your Tacoma should be rated to tow 6500 lbs. I tow a Jayco 18 S RB weighing about 4000 lbs loaded with my '08 Tacoma and it does great! On steep long grades I get down to about 45 mph which is fine with me since I don't dog it to death trying to set speed records going up hill.
Happy trails to you!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

I towed my X20E all over Ontario this past summer and had no problems. Trailer was loaded (4750lbs max) with a full water tank and a loaded bed because I really wanted to know what my Taco could or couldn't handle on a long haul. Don't drive like a mad man and you'll be fine. I drop down into 3rd if climbing a long steep grade to maintain and/or pick up speed but that's usually only if I have an 18 Wheeler coming up on me quick otherwise the Taco was just fine. Other than that I lock out the Overdrive and set the cruise at 60-65mph and as mentioned above the WDH is a must.

If gas mileage is an issue, then why do folks buy TT's? LOL
Since I can only camp approx 18 - 20 nights a season, I prefer the good mileage that comes with the V6 for daily driving the other 345 days/yr
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #8

thanks

Thanks for all the input, make me feel better about the towing!
Most of the towing will be in Florida which is very flat (except for overpasses) and some bridges.

Thanks again, will keep all informed on my soon Jayco purchase.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

I had a '07 19H with the original style t handle latches. Took a beating on it and got rid of it in 2 years. Had water leaks on the mdfb that the tents rest on and replaced 3x by dealer under warranty.
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

thanks to all

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully the 2014 Jayco don't have the problems of the 2007 . I will get to see them on 11/08 in person. Dealer has told me to look at the larger ones as i should have no problem towing the 23F. Safety in towing is main factor. But will look at the options.

Thanks again to all, and will look for any further input.