Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #341

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X213_2015 View Post
I did make a nice ladder for the bunk, it ended up costing about 1/2 of the ugly ones you can buy (the build is on my website. restrictedayerspace dot net
I think I might just swipe that idea and build something similar. We bought our X213 last weekend and we haven't decided on what to do for a ladder, but we've been uninspired by the $60 ladders on Amazon. I appreciate you posting the plans.

Quote:
Once I get the solar install done and documented I'll post that up here too.
Bookmarking your site and eagerly awaiting that install . We're going to be boondocking primarily, so anything power-related is very interesting to me.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #342

There was a thread somewhere of a guy who built a ladder that folded up against the bathroom wall. looked pretty sweet.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 AM   #343

Here it is...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...s-26801-3.html
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #344

Added a pet screen to my front door today too. Total cost about $5.00 using a broken gate I found at the transfer station.

Jayco X213 Pet Screen – Restricted Ayerspace
Attached Thumbnails
File May 22, 1 04 23 PM.jpg  
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #345

2010 exp 213

HI,

I bought a new to us 2010 exp213 in January. It has been converted to 2-- 6 volt battery set up. The Batteries are shot and my plan is to go back to a single battery system. ( we don't do any boon docking) The prior owner was a butcher and made very poor and unsafe connections my plan is to fix the electrical system correcty.......Long story short...I need a wiring diagram for the camper....can any one help?

Thank you

Tom
1965 Mustang
Brewstercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #346
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewstercrew View Post
HI,

I bought a new to us 2010 exp213 in January. It has been converted to 2-- 6 volt battery set up. The Batteries are shot and my plan is to go back to a single battery system. ( we don't do any boon docking) The prior owner was a butcher and made very poor and unsafe connections my plan is to fix the electrical system correcty.......Long story short...I need a wiring diagram for the camper....can any one help?

Thank you

Tom
I would love one too, if available.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #347

I used the century plastics box on mine Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)

only issue was height, I had to cut them down a little and move my battery holding bars about an inch (kind of a pain, but you might not have to).
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #348

move the bars that your batteries sit on forward- I had to move mine about an inch, then re-weld them.
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #349

In the midst of our first real outing with the trailer, I have a couple questions for y'all...

1) What is the orifice for on the ceiling just in front of the slide when it's opened? Looks like a jack of some flavor. Something plug into that, like a light? We got no accessories with the trailer that look like they should attach there.

2) What are the little handle-like things on the ceiling of the slide, near the front?

(yes, these are things we should have noticed and asked during PDI, but we overlooked them ;-))

3) Has anyone modified the cubbies above the 'headboard' of the king bed? We have a three inch thick topper, I hit my head (not too hard) a couple times last night, and I still found the bed to be too hard to be comfortable, so I'm going to make it thicker. Safe to assume those cubbies are not structurally important, just tacked on? I was thinking of shortening them by about half the height and making them into some kind of shelf instead of a closed cabinet. Not sure what we'll end up putting there anyway.

So far I really like the trailer. Pulling it 300 miles yesterday was a real chore, but that was because we dragged it down the Columbia River Gorge with quartering-tailwinds in the 20-40 MPH range, so we were getting pushed around a fair bit. Maybe not worth white-knuckling it, but this is my first trailer so I don't have a good idea of what normal movement is, and where it becomes worrisome. When there wasn't appreciable wind gusts, we cruised along at 60-65 and couldn't hardly tell the trailer was there. And the twin turbo V6 on the F150 is fantastic for power -- went over Blewitt Pass without even trying. Not exactly the Rockies, but still.

Once I figure out how to make the bed comfortable for me, I'm going to be a happy camper.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #350

The jack is for an accessory light fan combo and the hooks are for it to clip onto. The light fan cost about $60.

The mattresses that come stock are fibre filled and not foam. I had an 8" foam mattress made for king bed and 4"foams made for my kids.

You should not get any sway out of your trailer. Your f150 isn't a very heavy truck look at buying the Anderson hitch this will stop your sway and improve safety.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Cata...ion-hitch.aspx

Copy and paste link
bcosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #351

I haven't changed those cubbies. My wife wants the extra room. We had to adjust for the thicker mattress but the couple of times a hit my head were worth the better sleep and better feeling in my back. It took me 2 times smacking my head. Don't do that anymore.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 AM   #352

I use the Andersen system with my F150 and X213 and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #353

New(ish) x213 owner with electrical problem

Hi all -

We're new to trailers/RVs and have had our 2016 x213 now for 3 months and been out 5 times with no problems. We've enjoyed "lurking" here and have learned a lot from everyone - so thank you for that.

We arrived last night at a campground, got hooked up to power and everything seemed to be working. As we extended the slide, it stopped before completing (seemed to run out of power), and then all power went out. Now the led awning lights work if nothing else is on, some interior lights flash intermittently, the radio and microwave lights come on, but nothing else seems to work.

I have absolutely no electrical knowledge, but with the help of the campground host have checked fuses in the main panel (fine), tested the post (fine at 120 v) and interior outlets (NOT fine at 30-40 v). We are not near any place with rv repair- hoping someone might have some advice.

Thanks in advance!
67cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #354

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosco View Post
You should not get any sway out of your trailer. Your f150 isn't a very heavy truck look at buying the Anderson hitch this will stop your sway and improve safety.
I need to understand sway a bit better. What I experienced was not a side-to-side (repeat) sway, which is what I usually think of when I hear the term sway. It was gusts of wind blowing the rig around, sometimes the trailer would swing a little, but then it could come right back straight. What was more noticeable was the movement of my pickup -- makes me want stiffer sidewall tires because it felt kinda 'squishy' with the gusting. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to prevent all movement from the trailer -- else you'd not be able to turn. I figured the sway control was more like a shock absorber -- damp the movement so it doesn't build on itself.

I'm 99% sure the Equalizer is under-adjusted right now, based on measurements I took before we left, so I'm going to fix that shortly. Aside from that, it did pretty well when we weren't getting the 40mph gusts from the side. Got passed a number of times by big rigs and only felt it one time -- big ancient old tractor with a flat front, felt like the truck wanted to turn towards him when he got into my blind spot, then pushed away a bit when he got nose-to-nose with us. Not scary, but I felt the pushing.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post

3) Has anyone modified the cubbies above the 'headboard' of the king bed? We have a three inch thick topper, I hit my head (not too hard) a couple times last night, and I still found the bed to be too hard to be comfortable, so I'm going to make it thicker. Safe to assume those cubbies are not structurally important, just tacked on? I was thinking of shortening them by about half the height and making them into some kind of shelf instead of a closed cabinet. Not sure what we'll end up putting there anyway.

We keep our clothing in the cabinet above the bed, so we couldn't do without it. The kids clothing is in the front wardrobe, which we modified by adding an Ikea metal drawer unit as it was a useless cabinet to us otherwise.

I think we're one of the few that finds the bed super comfortable.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
I need to understand sway a bit better. What I experienced was not a side-to-side (repeat) sway, which is what I usually think of when I hear the term sway. It was gusts of wind blowing the rig around, sometimes the trailer would swing a little, but then it could come right back straight. What was more noticeable was the movement of my pickup -- makes me want stiffer sidewall tires because it felt kinda 'squishy' with the gusting. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to prevent all movement from the trailer -- else you'd not be able to turn. I figured the sway control was more like a shock absorber -- damp the movement so it doesn't build on itself.

I'm 99% sure the Equalizer is under-adjusted right now, based on measurements I took before we left, so I'm going to fix that shortly. Aside from that, it did pretty well when we weren't getting the 40mph gusts from the side. Got passed a number of times by big rigs and only felt it one time -- big ancient old tractor with a flat front, felt like the truck wanted to turn towards him when he got into my blind spot, then pushed away a bit when he got nose-to-nose with us. Not scary, but I felt the pushing.
If you have P-rated tires on the TV make sure that they are inflated to the max pressure listed on the sidewall when towing. This should help reduce the sidewall flex and make it feel less "squishy".
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
I think we're one of the few that finds the bed super comfortable.
I think so . The fiber fill is too thin for me -- I'm a big guy at 250lb and I side sleep, so I go right to the bottom. Even with the 3-inch memory foam topper I was hitting the bottom pretty hard (not real surprising, memory foam compresses down to practically nothing). I think we'll end up replacing the original mattress with something made out of foam.

Quote:
If you have P-rated tires on the TV make sure that they are inflated to the max pressure listed on the sidewall when towing. This should help reduce the sidewall flex and make it feel less "squishy".
That's a good point, thank you. The tires are Michelin LTX A/T2, P265/70R17, so P-rated. When they wear out, maybe something stiffer is in order, but in the meantime more air pressure.

For entertainment, I went out today and weighed the truck and trailer. Not totally applicable because we had emptied the trailer of perishables and some toys that were in it when traveling, and I didn't have the wife & kids with me (after driving 300 miles today, that would have been quite a fight...). Freshwater tank empty, grey- and black-water tanks 1/3 each. Here's what I got (numbers don't completely work out mathematically because the scale only goes in 50lb increments):

Truck only, with me in the driver seat
3300 front axle
2600 rear axle

Truck & trailer, hitched but no weight bars
3000 truck front axle
3600 truck rear axle
4150 trailer both axles

Truck & trailer, hitched and weight bars engaged
3100 truck front axle
3400 truck rear axle
4200 trailer both axles

And for kicks, just the tongue of the trailer:

Yeah, you read that right. Lightly loaded, 1/3 on the waste tanks and no water, nothing in the storage area, full propane tank and two batteries. 750 pounds. Ha! Right around 15% if my math is correct, which explains why it towed alright today (no wind on the trip home for the most part) even with the Equalizer under-adjusted.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #358

new bumper

I tried mounting my 2" receiver hitch for my bike rack on my rear bumper. I crushed the the bumper when I torqued the bolts. The thin aluminum bumper was useless.
I made a new bumper using 1/8 steel square tubing and 3/16 mounting brackets. The new bumper weighs 43lbs more not a large increase for the extra safety the stronger bumper provides.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #359

bumper pics

Looks like the original aside from the mounting brackets
Attached Thumbnails
20160528_131805.jpg   20160528_131838.jpg   20160528_131825.jpg  
Old 05-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #360

I was giving some thought to a bumper replacement myself. The welding is sloppy so there's remnants of the weld on the inside of the bumper, which is enough to prevent me from sliding in the Rhinoflex hose I bought. So I'm either going to figure out a way to dremel off the metal with a dremel extension, or maybe just replace the bumper beam with a slightly larger one. It doesn't look exactly structural in any case.