Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #361
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post

And for kicks, just the tongue of the trailer:

Yeah, you read that right. Lightly loaded, 1/3 on the waste tanks and no water, nothing in the storage area, full propane tank and two batteries. 750 pounds. Ha! Right around 15% if my math is correct, which explains why it towed alright today (no wind on the trip home for the most part) even with the Equalizer under-adjusted.
I can only dream of getting my tongue weight that low. As I mentioned on an another thread, my tongue weight is a whopping 1100 lbs with only around 150lbs in the front storage area. Yes I know how to weigh the tongue properly and I was using a proper scale. That number alarms me.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #362

I have no idea what my tongue weight is. I have never weighed it. I set my truck up for towing 20,000lbs. I never changed anything once I bought my x213. Then again my truck weighs over 9,000lbs with the family and full supplies in it. It's almost double what my x213 is loaded.
bcosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I can only dream of getting my tongue weight that low. As I mentioned on an another thread, my tongue weight is a whopping 1100 lbs with only around 150lbs in the front storage area. Yes I know how to weigh the tongue properly and I was using a proper scale. That number alarms me.
That's nuts! 1100 would exceed my hitch rating and payload on the F150. At that point I'd be asking myself why I'm towing a Feather if it's going to be as heavy as a 'normal' sized TT.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #364

In case anyone wants it, here are the inside cabinet dimensions of a 2015 x213

X213 Travel Trailer Dimensions
(all in inches)
W = Width, H = Height, D = Depth
Cabinet above the sink
W = 17 ½
H = 16
H to micro plug = 10
D = 12

Sink
W = 21 ½
H = 14 ½
H = 13 ⅜
D = 5 ½

Opening under the sink
W = 26 ½
H = 8 ¾
D = 3

Cabinet under the sink, shelf
W = 31 ¾
H = 11 ¾ (impeded by opening above)
D = 7
Cabinet under the sink, bottom
W = 30 ¼ (2in pipe in front, right corner)
H = 10 ½
D = 21 ¼

Microwave
W = 12
D = 12

Stove
W = 18
D = 13 ½

Oven
W = 15 ½
H = 5 (from lowest wire rack)
D = 14

Cabinet under the oven
W = 29
H = 16 ¼
D = 11 ½
Triangle = 11 x 8 x 7

Kitchen drawers (3)
W = 11 ⅝
H = 3
D = 16 ⅝
Inside Pantry
W = 10 ½
H = 55
H of bottom section = 6
D = 23 ¾

Fridge
Gap in top shelf = 6 ¼
D = 11

Wardrobe drawers (3)
W = 13 ¼
H = 2 ¾
D = 16 ¾

Wardrobe cabinet
W = 16 ¾
H to hanger bar = 36
H to front top = 49 ½
Top D = 25 (under wooden square block)
Bottom D to shelf = 37 ½
Bottom shelf D = 10

Outside storage
W to wardrobe drawers = 19
H = 27 ¾
D = 19

Under bunk storage
W = 38
H to top bunk = 50
H to bottom bunk = 10
D to inside opening = 38 ¾
D = 72 ½

Bunk window (center measurement)
W = 12
H = 21
Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #365

OK, first trip under the belt on the new X213. MAJOR issue - drain line from shower to grey water tank came undone UNDER the tub floor, but ABOVE the trailer floor, meaning that all the water from my shower flooded our camper, running under the fridge, heater, and pantry cabinets, ultimately making it under the couch. Needless to say, very pissed, not sure of the extent of water damage to cabinets and flooring. Access panel to the plumbing under the shower unit is nailed in place, so in the field I had to use a steak knife to pry it off to get access beneath. Why not screw it in? So far, I haven't figured out if the fitting is broken or just came off - what's disturbing is that it is a slip/compression fitting like on a sink's P trap - not really the kind of union I'd like to see. Not sure where to head from here - pics will follow once I get in there further and evaluate better.

Second issue - dual battery system...what were they thinking with the battery/box placement so close to the front of the camper? You have to do Yoga to get the battery box covers on - can't imagine fitting 6v's in there without re-welding the supports. Anyway, whoever wired the batteries together needs to learn how to use a crimper - negative to negative lead fell apart after 1/10 mile of dirt roads, effectively putting us on one battery and negating our solar setup for the first part of the trip - luckily I chased the fault and was able to repair in the field. FYI - one 12v 24 group battery boondocking will not get you very far. 2, with a 45 watt solar panel system, and we were at max voltage for the remainder of the trip. Might not go 6V after all.

Third - ventilation in the front bunks is nill - why there's no vent up front or a window that opens on the cargo door is beyond me. We will definitely be looking for a 12v fan for the bunk area and the rear bed area to move some air through the camper.

Random negatives - rhino flex dump tube doesn't fit in the bumper.

Not sure I trust the fresh water gauge - said we were empty, never blew air (will measure what's left in the tank with 7 gal jugs to have an idea - bummer of the enclosed bottom...cant see how full the fresh water tank really is.

Access panels to hot water heater and water pump under the dinette screwed shut - I guess if you live in Florida, that's fine, in Colorado, winterization is on a per trip thing for 7 months of the year.

PRO's - tow's great, super smooth behind my F250 diesel, 6000 lb E2 hitch, 70-75 most of the way climbing from Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs.

Reasonable fresh water storage if you're frugal, but will need additional water for a 3+ day trip w/showers.

Black and grey dump process was super smooth, seems like both tanks emptied nicely...but, did see a few small drips on the ground under the unit when using the black tank flush w/pressure reducer - (I really really, really really, despise leaks).

Kings size bed is roomy, never felt cramped with the bed hog wife. Couch is comfy and there's sufficient room at the dinette, even more if you get rid of the back cushion on the slide out bed side.

Awning did great in moderate winds and provided sufficient shade.

Setup and breakdown is so very very fast, especially compared to our old tent trailer - if I never have to set up a pop up again it will be too soon.

As promised, updates and pics on the shower drain issue to come.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #366

Access panel to the tub plumbing doesn't slide upwards? Lift up on the top trim piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #367

Nope - wouldn't go, someone got sloppy with the brad nailer and the panel was nailed. I can see now HOW to reinstall so it will slide - thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
with a 45 watt solar panel system, and we were at max voltage for the remainder of the trip. Might not go 6V after all.
Did you already post about your solar setup? I'm interested in doing something like that on my trailer, and I'd like to see how people are doing it.

Quote:
ventilation in the front bunks is nill
That's something else I'll be interested to see your solution for. I'm surprised that the tiny little bathroom fan moves as much as it does (I expected nothing -- but with the door closed I could feel the air blowing past my feet, which is surprising for such a tiny thing) -- I'd love to have a second fan in the main part of the camper, or at the very least replace the bathroom fan with a Fantastic. Not sure how I'd ventilate the front bunks without risking the water-tightness of that area.

Quote:
Random negatives - rhino flex dump tube doesn't fit in the bumper.
On my trailer, it looks like it would fit if not for welding cruft left over on the inside. Certainly it's a very tight fit. If I can't dremel off the cruft inside the bumper, I may pick up an aluminum square tube that's 1-inch larger and replace the bumper.

Quote:
PRO's - tow's great, super smooth behind my F250 diesel, 6000 lb E2 hitch, 70-75 most of the way climbing from Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs.
You're braver than I . I have been keeping it 60-65 behind my F150.

You might want to verify the tongue limit on your hitch -- IIRC the 6K E2 has a 600# TW limit, and the odds are very good that you're above that on the X213. Even putting my generator and 3-burner camp chef stove under the bed, which means behind the wheels, I'm still hitting 750-800 TW, with nothing but bedding and a few small incidental items in the bunk area. This sure is a heavy-nose trailer. And even after adjusting my Eq10K hitch up a notch, fully loaded it isn't quite transferring as much weight back to the front axle as I'd hoped. Tows very steady even so.

Quote:
Reasonable fresh water storage if you're frugal, but will need additional water for a 3+ day trip w/showers.
On our first trip this past weekend, what got us first was grey water capacity. We were gentle with the showers but still filled it full. Had to skip the Sunday shower, and that's not a good thing .

Quote:
Kings size bed is roomy, never felt cramped with the bed hog wife. Couch is comfy and there's sufficient room at the dinette, even more if you get rid of the back cushion on the slide out bed side.
I love the big bed, but I do wish it was a little longer. If I were any taller than 6'0" it would be a problem for sure. Mattress is terrible IMO, even with a big thick topper it's not real comfortable for me. Probably going to replace with a decent 8" foam mattress.

Quote:
Awning did great in moderate winds and provided sufficient shade.
I like how easy the awning is to operate, and it works well, but I did notice when I was putting it back in the second time that on one-end it rolls up wrinkled. Hrmph.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #369

Unless they changed the bumper size from the 2015 model, the rhinoflex should fit, I've carried ours there since I figured out I had to line both sets of ears on the hose with the bumper corners.

At first I thought it didn't fit either.

Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #370

Smile First shakedown trip with new(last fall) 2016 X213.

Traveled to Heyburn state park in Idaho last week and spent 2 days. TT pulled well behind 2012 Traverse. I do need and have ordered an auxilliary transmission cooler however. Saw temps at 220 with added temp guage.
Just with two of us and our bikes in the front bunk space, the trailer towed nicely. Plenty of power and no excess bouncing or swaying. I have the Husky WD hitch and seems okay as set by the dealer in Missoula. Tire pressure monitor was very nice to be able to keep track of tire pressures. Well worth the money for peace of mind.
Next trip to Oregon coast at end of July. Mileage average was right at 10 mpg. Added several coat hooks, stove cover, screen door bar, and moved TP holder under the cabinet for better access. Rhino flex hose fit just right in the bumper.

Jayco X213
2012 Chevy Traverse
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Jarm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmitchell View Post
Unless they changed the bumper size from the 2015 model, the rhinoflex should fit, I've carried ours there since I figured out I had to line both sets of ears on the hose with the bumper corners.

At first I thought it didn't fit either.
On mine, it would fit except it only goes as far as the bracket, where they welded through when they put the bracket on so there's a glob of metal in the way. Tried from both ends, after 18 inches or so it hits that obstruction and stops. If I could get a dremel in there and clean it up, then I could fit the hose in.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #372

Shower drain updates:
This unit (2016) utilizes a Hepvo Sanitary waste valve in lieu of a p-trap. Its basically a one way silicone flap bi-valve that prevents grey tank gasses from coming back up the drain line. Clever little bit, saves the space required for a p-trap and the corresponding water filled airlock to do the same job. The problem with my setup is that it is installed with overly tight tolerances, and any (and I mean any) flexing of the drain line results in the downstream ABS threaded collar that the Hepvo screws into to pop off the drain line. This is a collar similar to what you'd see on a p-trap, but in this case, the black ABS threaded collar actually pops off its holding flange letting the contents of your shower drain all over the floor of your TT. The right side of the Hepvo valve as pictured will take the abs fitting with it if the union is flexed - in fact, the simple torque of trying to reinstall the valve was enough a few times to cause this to happen. I have zero trust in this system. The attached video show the flex of the bottom of the shower unit with a 70 lb child in it...now imagine a full sized adult in there. Its enough flex to cause the drain system to part (at least in mine). The next step is to brace the underside of the shower with as many 2x4 supports as I can fit in there and still leave room for the ducting going to the bathroom. Additionally, the connectors for the hot/cold water to the shower faucet were barely tight - I got a full half turn out of each one, surprised those weren't leaking either.
Attached Thumbnails
shower drain 2.jpg   shower drain 1.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #373

Got the Rhino flex tube to fit in the bumper tube afterall - one side had burn through weld at the frame bracket preventing it from fitting. The other side had a huge glob of silicone about 12" in (why? who knows why that was there). After shaving off the silicone, it fit, snug, but fit. Grinding off the weld will be a PITA, so its gonna stay. The tube slides in/out from the dump side anyway. Thanks for the heads up on looking for interior defects.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #374

The maiden voyage (for me) of my 2015 X213 was a success. No leaks. Heat Works, AC Works, Fridge keeps the beer cold and the freezer makes ice cubes. Flushing the tanks was a breeze, although I think I may add one of those tank cleaners on the outside just to make it go faster.

Tows pretty nice behind my F-150 (5.0L V8) with the towing rig the dealer gave me. Doesn't even lower the bumper. You know it's there on the hills on the highway but it's nothing the truck can't handle.

Annoyances:
Squeaky bathroom door hinge (Silicone lube?)
Awning makes interesting sounds in the breeze.
Speakers sound like they are wired out-of-phase.

Modded the curtain on the bunks and my daughter accidentally sat on the curtain and broke the wire. That's been fixed with a better solution.

I did my solar install and will post again once I have it written up. Works great, currently gets the battery up to full charge within a couple hours after the nightly use. No Leaks and the only new holes in the roof are from mounting the panels. Found a "sneaky" way into the front compartment without going through the roof or making any new holes in anything.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #375

Picking up my new 2016 X213 today. These forums have already been a huge help! Looking forward to learning from and contributing to these forums!
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #376

Welcome to x213 family
Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by X213_2015 View Post

Modded the curtain on the bunks and my daughter accidentally sat on the curtain and broke the wire. That's been fixed with a better solution.
I'd love to know your solution. Our kids did the same thing and ours is currently ripped out of the ceiling.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #378

I posted this in another thread, but figured I would put it here as it seems like this is a pretty active one.

My wife and I are ready to take the plunge into RV ownership and have narrowed down our search to the X213. I like the shorter tow length but the rear slide makes for a bigger effective length and it is on the relatively light side.

I am willing to wait to make sure that we are getting a fair price. Most of the 2016 units we have found online are in the $25k range. I am quite confident that we should be able to get a significant amount lower than that. Is there anyone out there that has recently purchased one that could give me an idea of what you purchased it for? I live in AZ and am willing to drive up to around 400 miles to purchase an already manufactured unit. I have gotten a quote to have one built and pick up in Indiana for $17.8K but would prefer to not have to drive the 1400 miles to pick it up. The quote was for a relatively basic trailer. Cusotmer preferred package (which i would imagine is the basic package), 15k BTU AC, 27"LED TV and electronic stability control. I believe it said the MSRP would be $26k. If we can't get it for a price we feel is appropriate we may wait until next spring to order one from the factory and pick it up in Indiana.

Even if you don't have an X213, does anybody have any advice they could give me on purchasing strategies. I am more than willing to do some heavy negotiations with dealers.

Also, has anybody rented a truck to tow a newly puchased trailer home to avoid the excessive miles on their TV and have the opportunity to fly there? If so, any advice on a company to rent a one way truck capable of towing from?
j12simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #379

Have you priced out having your new Tt shipped on a flat bed trailer.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #380

Here's out bunk curtain mod. My wife cut the curtain where it made sense and hemmed in a new path to hang the bottom one. We added some 3/16 coated cable stretched between two eye hooks. My kids like having their own space and not disturbing each other if the need to get up. This was the smallest coated cable they had in the department. It was around $0.35 a foot along with the crimp on 3/32 ferrules which were around $1.35. If I did it again I would omit the the stops on an install like this as they just do what they were meant to do, which is and get int he way.
Attached Thumbnails
File Jun 12, 7 56 55 AM.jpeg   File Jun 12, 7 57 12 AM.jpeg   File Jun 12, 7 57 28 AM.jpeg   File Jun 12, 7 57 47 AM.jpeg  
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote