Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash3 View Post
I just got a X213 this weekend. Love it. We used to have a 31' keystone but it was just too much trailer and could not store it at home. Last year we got a jayco baja, but missed the bathroom and room. Took it in for a warranty issue this week, walked into a X213 and knew it was perfect for the family, made a deal right there. I am sure i will have questions iin the next year for experienced owners of this trailer.
Congrats on your new x213. They are a great trailer, had mine for 2 years. It was the only TT that appealed to me when we were at the Early bird RV show in 2012.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #142

decision help

Hi all,

I posted on RV.net as well... We are finally ready to purchase our 1st travel trailer and are stuck on a decision I hope you can advise on: purchase an '09 or '14 Jayco x213? We are pretty much sold on this layout, the question is are the tradeoffs of used worth the price break? A few more details about the two trailers:

09 jayco: pros $8k less than the new one, cons: I am tall and the slide out bed (which goes side to side across the trailer) is borderline long enough for me, the tanks FW- 30g/ GW- 30g/ BW- 22g, the top bunk is 10" narrower than on the new one, and various small item things that will need to be fixed (e.g. door strut $25). otherwise the unit is in really good shape, it has been stored outside, but has been used very little.

14 jayco: pros- tanks FW 46g/GW 30g/BW 30g, 2 year warranty, wider top bunk, slide out bed is a king sized and goes long wise down the trailer so as not to confine me with a wall... cons: price is +$8k, insurance and tax will be more as well.

We are not rolling in money but we can afford both units. The question is as an RV newbie I really don't know how much those pros/cons will matter: can you advise? My kids are small now, but I plan on having this trailer for long enough for them to get big (~10years). I should also add most of our camping will be done at places with none to minimal hooks ups- e.g. state parks.

I have heard from those in the know and seen on this thread and others problems with the slide, and cautioned about the older roof material vs the new material- any thoughts on this as well?

hoping to buy soon
thanks for your help!
-------------------------------------------------------
TV- 06 double cab tundra
TT- ?????
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #143

I like the newer style rear bed slide with the side windows vs the rear window. Airflow across the bed is much nicer. I have an 2012 that I bought new and have no regrets. I think that you will like the new one with the comfort of the warranty if you can afford it.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #144

Thanks BC. For those that bought new, do you get warranty work done at the dealer you bought from?

Are there other differences between an 09 and 14 that I should factor in?

Thanks for the insight!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCamperDan View Post
Thanks BC. For those that bought new, do you get warranty work done at the dealer you bought from?

Are there other differences between an 09 and 14 that I should factor in?

Thanks for the insight!
I only had it in once at the same dealer for a loose trim above the bed slide inside and the replacement of the original power jack that failed. The 2014 also has a skylight above the tub for extra headroom. Not sure if the 2009 has the LED TV and DVD player stereo and outside speakers mad I believe the tanks are larger too.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #146

took the plunge and put a down payment on the '14 x213! super excited, somewhat overwhelmed by all the things I need to buy and learn, a little intimidated by my first drive with it (~500 miles including through Los Angeles), and hoping it all goes the way I have been dreaming of

thanks for the advice!
dan
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #147

You won't regret it, i had a 31' keystone before, then moved back to a pop up jayco and now i am back in the x213. my 31' was way too big, could a lot of national parks here and did not enjoy it pop up was nice, but missed the hard side trailer. the x213 i am in love with and fits my family with 3 kids perfect. you will love it, i know i do
roadrash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #148

Thats awesome Dan, congrats!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #149

Congrats Dan! When do you pick her up?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #150

Quote:
took the plunge and put a down payment on the '14 x213! super excited, somewhat overwhelmed by all the things I need to buy and learn, a little intimidated by my first drive with it (~500 miles including through Los Angeles), and hoping it all goes the way I have been dreaming of

thanks for the advice!
dan
Congrats, you are going to love it, it tows great, we bought the trailer ramp for changing a flat, just remember to disconnect the battery when stored or the propane detector will kill it. Do not ever allow the battery to stay discharged or it will sulphate or your battery will meet an early demise. When I open the slide and awning, I leave it connected to my running truck so it doesn't use up valuable battery charge when I dry camp. I also carry a small 6" level that I put on the floor inside to level the trailer. Buy yourself some levelling blocks to put under the low side tires so that you are level side to side before levelling front to back. You do all of this before opening the slide. I bought color matching carpet runners for the front of the couch and a entry mat. We also have a sweep mat at the bottom of the steps. We have a rv mat that we put under the awning along with a propane fire pit that we can put under the awning for those rainy days...I could help you spend more money....lol
Old 06-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #151

Thanks everyone! It has been a wild couple days- drove down to pickup late on Thursday- about 400+ miles, then yesterday drove the last 50 miles for a 10 am appointment. Walk though took about 1.5 hours, only caught a small blemish (missed that the screen door doesn't latch!). Bought a couple accessories at the dealer store: decent sewage hose, clear sewage elbow, a mat that straps onto the step, oh yeah and the weight dist hitch... Black tank chems, tp, etc. then proceeded to pull it through LA traffic, when of course my 4yo boy needed to stop several times to go to the bathroom- somehow on one of the emergency potty stops we ended up cruising through Compton with my shiny new trailer! Funny experience for sure. We leave tomorrow from inlaws for our first camping trip at the beach followed by 5 nights in the redwoods... Not exactly easing into it, or how I would have planned it, but events converged in a way that could not have been predicted.

@bc- thanks for the tips! That propane fire pit sounds sweet! Thanks for the offer to help me spend my money; but I think I have already done that successfully
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #152

Quick Question about the X213 Gray Tank Vent

Hey Guys, don't mean to hi-jack the discussion but thought I would post this question here since there is a good many X213 owners discussing their experiences with the unit. Question is, where does your gray tank vent pipe stub up? I noticed in my last outing, this past weekend, that I saw a bit of a water leak under my door side front tire on the unit. Got to looking around and did not see any plumbing issues with the exception of the a pipe that stubbed up under the kitchen sink. There was a little water on the floor around this pipe and it had just started dripping down outside on the ground in front of the front tire. Pulled the ladder out and looked on the roof and one vent pipe. I also had another incident with this past trip that was a real eye opener with this arrangement, and I do mean a real eye opener. When we camp in a full hook up environment for an extended stay, I have left the gray tank valve opened since showers consume a bit of water and no point running back and forth a couple of times a day draining the tank to keep the bathing process going. Well, I didn't close the valve and got a little warm so on with the AC. No sooner than I could get laid down and comfortable, this horrible smell completely filled the unit. It was literally intolerable to the point that we got up, opened all windows, turned off the AC and immediately closed the gray tank valve. About 45 minutes later the smell was gone. But my lapsed minded self made the same mistake two days later and again, a foul smell that really took your breath away.

So having said all that, has anyone else experienced this issue and is that truly the gray tank stub up? All my past travel trailers have always had the vent pipes for both black and gray tanks stub above the roof, but not this one. I really like the unit which we now have had and used on two different trips but that leak and smell issue is dampening my enjoyment. Also for the record, the tank level according to the panel was at 2/3 (accurate not so sure).

By the way, my X213 is a 2012 model which I purchased used first part of this year.

Thanks,
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #153

Quick Question about the X213 Gray Tank Vent Partially Answered

Hey guys, I did some more searching on the site here and think I have found the solution to my sewer gas smell. Basically the fix is having a trap formed right at where the sewer hose connects to the sewer connector. And also, it helps to have your ladder when looking at the roof in the correct line of site, there are two vents up there and I should have remembered this since I have already cleaned and treated the roof on the unit twice . Another lapse of thought on my part.

I still have the question about the water found dripping to the outside and under the cabinet around this pipe stub up. Any ideas there as to if the tank maybe was a little too full and it pushed a little excess out that pipe? Not sure how accurate the panel readings are but it stated 2/3 full on the gray tank.

Thanks again for overlooking my momentary lapse of memory.

Scott
Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan View Post
Hey guys, I did some more searching on the site here and think I have found the solution to my sewer gas smell. Basically the fix is having a trap formed right at where the sewer hose connects to the sewer connector. And also, it helps to have your ladder when looking at the roof in the correct line of site, there are two vents up there and I should have remembered this since I have already cleaned and treated the roof on the unit twice . Another lapse of thought on my part.

I still have the question about the water found dripping to the outside and under the cabinet around this pipe stub up. Any ideas there as to if the tank maybe was a little too full and it pushed a little excess out that pipe? Not sure how accurate the panel readings are but it stated 2/3 full on the gray tank.

Thanks again for overlooking my momentary lapse of memory.

Scott
Yup, fresh water tank overflow, curb side behind the tire.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Yup, fresh water tank overflow, curb side behind the tire.
I may be confused with the statement above, you said fresh water tank overflow but the water I see dripping outside is in front of the door/curb side tire not behind it and my fresh water tank is completely empty. I am going to crawl around under there this weekend to further investigate what is going on since it has now happened twice. Just couldn't understand why all plumbing pipes were dry except for the one that stubs up and there was water on the floor around it. I'll keep checking on it though.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #156

@Slogan: So I am totally newbie here, but on your two issues:

the smell: it seems like while connected if you leave your gray tank open, you would get the backflow of sewer air into your trailer. Your fix of a trap to make the flow of water or fumes one way seems like a good idea... or closing your gray tank valve would do the trick.

dripping water: I think the freshwater overflow drips water only when sloshing around, parked at an angle, or when too full... I dont think it would drip if your tank was empty. The freshwater overflow is curb side behind the rear wheel, and is a short white hose hanging down, right next to your FW tank. On the driver side is the low point drain valve, which could drip if it isn't closed. I am not really sure from what you are saying if the source of the water is on the inside our outside of your trailer, but I was surprised by my FW overflow hose leaking before my tank was filled, when parked at a little bit of an angle.

hope that helps
dan
Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #157

Quote:
@Slogan: So I am totally newbie here, but on your two issues:

the smell: it seems like while connected if you leave your gray tank open, you would get the backflow of sewer air into your trailer. Your fix of a trap to make the flow of water or fumes one way seems like a good idea... or closing your gray tank valve would do the trick.

dripping water: I think the freshwater overflow drips water only when sloshing around, parked at an angle, or when too full... I dont think it would drip if your tank was empty. The freshwater overflow is curb side behind the rear wheel, and is a short white hose hanging down, right next to your FW tank. On the driver side is the low point drain valve, which could drip if it isn't closed. I am not really sure from what you are saying if the source of the water is on the inside our outside of your trailer, but I was surprised by my FW overflow hose leaking before my tank was filled, when parked at a little bit of an angle.

hope that helps
dan

Thanks Dan, the dripping water is coming from the inside directly from under the kitchen sink area then making its way outside directly in front of the curbside/door side tire. When I first noticed it I immediately went inside and looked under the sink and could not locate any damp pipes other than the pipe that is stubbed up under the sink. There was a bit of water on the floor which was immediately wiped up. The fresh water tank doesn't have any water at all in it so that rules it out. I'm going to climb around under this weekend and do more investigating.

Thanks for the advice though.

Scott
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #158

As for your leak, I too had water in the same area that you are speaking of. My issue was loose supply line connections under the sink area of my 2011 X213. I encounter this problem twice when it was new. All I needed to do was tighten up the connections in that area and the problem was solved. If i remember correct there are a few tee connectors on the water lines that are a little tough to get to, i may have even had to remove a thin plywood panel to access the lines. Not sure if that helps you or not, but that was my experience.

This stubbed pipe you are speaking of, is it maybe a cheater valve vent of some sort that might be deffective?

Can you tell i the leaking water is clean or grey water?
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheGround View Post
As for your leak, I too had water in the same area that you are speaking of. My issue was loose supply line connections under the sink area of my 2011 X213. I encounter this problem twice when it was new. All I needed to do was tighten up the connections in that area and the problem was solved. If i remember correct there are a few tee connectors on the water lines that are a little tough to get to, i may have even had to remove a thin plywood panel to access the lines. Not sure if that helps you or not, but that was my experience.

This stubbed pipe you are speaking of, is it maybe a cheater valve vent of some sort that might be deffective?

Can you tell i the leaking water is clean or grey water?

Thanks for all the suggestions and that is definitely on my list of checks again for this weekend. I plan on removing that panel you speak of and looking at every fitting under the sink. I also plan on filling both sides of the sink with water to see if the leak is in the sink itself if I can't detect any fitting issues. As far as telling if it was grey or clean water, I couldn't really tell but will fill the grey tank if I can't find any issues with the items under the sink to see if I can duplicate the issue experienced.

Scott
Old 07-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #160

Sorry, I should have read your post with my glasses on...your water pump is in that area under the dinette seat. There is 2 Philips screws that hold the cover on