Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
I bought 6" PVC pipe and made lengthwise cutouts to go over the awning. One of the edges of the PVC sits in the upper half of the water gutter. Thus far, I have secured the pipe with cedar shims(friction) between the gutter and the pipe. So far so good on securing it this way. Make sure you don't tow your TT with this in place. This method keeps the awning dry and protects it from the sun. A little bit of work having to get a tall ladder out to attach them, but I replaced an awning once and never want to do it again!!!
My .02

Jaycoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
After a rain we leave ours out until it is dry. If it is rolled up and we get rain we put it out until it dries.

2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
I wash mine after every trip, let it dry completely in the sun and wind before rolling it back up. After rolling it up I immediately park the trailer in my shop building. When I pull it out to load up I'll open the awning and it is wet and stinky. No, my shop building doesn't have a leaky roof.

I believe that water gets into the roller during the washing process or from exposure to rain. Then when it is rolled up, the water seeps out through the end cap joints and follows the roller where it is pulled into the rolled up awning due to capillary action.

My solution is to drill a tiny hole in the bottom of each end of the roller when in the stowed position. The only problem is I don't know what's inside the roller and where it is located so I don't drill into the wind up mechanism.

Also, after washing and sun drying, I can tilt the awning to the front or back and lots of water will run out so the key is to get the water to drain out of the roller.

Anybody ever take a roller apart to see whats inside? Maybe someone can post pics or a shot from a repair manual.
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
krackeer--Just keep your finger on the button when you extend & it will retract. Depending on which way it is rolling when extending you may have to do it twice to get it to retract rolling over itself,ie clockwise looking from the side. Larry
Larry & Rachel Demers 2010 19H, 1999 F250 std cab 5.4, Auto, 4:10's 4x4
19H F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
I know it's a p.i.t.a. but if nice weather before a trip, I would open the awning a few days ahead just to dry out.
Frank and Ann
2013 Ram 2500 HD, 4WD, CC, SB, 5.7L
2013 Jayco 228BH
ram2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
I think I'm am going to order 1 of these

Anyone use them?

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
I have had 5 different Trailers 4 had manual awnings and the Jayco has electric all have been wet at some time when opened up i dont think that you can keep water out even with it covered thru the winter its still wet. and when I got the new trailer with electric awning the dealer told me not to roll it up backwards as it could bend the arms so that is something I wouldnt do it might work for some but I would check with service dept. first

Washington, State.
2011 Jayco G2 25RKS
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote