Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #1

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers

We are going to purchase BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers for our Feather 23RBM. The BAL tandem wheel chocks have greatly minimized the front to back movement, but the front and rear both move side to side. We are thinking one set for the rear and one for the front, and then we will see where we are. So far, we have the slide out, the steps, and the wheels stabilized, but we are obviously not done.

Anyone else use the BAL Lock-Arms?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #2

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the "slide out" stabilized? If you are referring to posts under the slideout to the ground, many would recommend against these, as they could cause stress on the floor of the slide were it is not expected and if you should have a tire leak, they could damage your slide. Not saying they are a bad idea, just want to ensure you are aware of the risks.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

I hear you, Heady. I have had similar concerns. There are a wide range of opinions on this. Some RV manufacturers approve them and others do not. Jayco does not. I use the Stromberg Carlson Jack in a Box adjustable jacks. Ultra Fab makes a similar product that adjust a little easier. Some actually claim that they prevent slide out slag and long-term frame impact when used correctly.

I set them so they just make contact, not set real firm on the rams. I also put soft cloth pads on mine to alleviate metal to metal contact. They make a huge difference. You have to set them at a minimal engagement level and check them periodically for settling (perhaps even tire pressure variations). I have used them for three years with no known adverse effects. I see others using them too. I think some manufacturers decline their use since a lot of users would hyper engage them and damage their slide out. (?)

It is a product that I heavily researched. My conclusion was that they must be used judiciously/carefully. Proper, minimal torquing is the key. They really do work great.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #4

Stabilizers work good

I also use the BAL lock arm stabilizers on a Whitehawk 23mbh. I just use one set. They are placed on opposing front and rear corners. It works well keeping the trailer stable. I have been using them going on three years on this trailer. Using four on the stabilizers may work better than the two I am using, but I am satisfied with the two.

I also use the BAL wheel chocks. The combination of the BAL chocks and BAL stabilizers work very good.
TRDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

Yes, I am thinking to set a pair across the rear (left and right) and a pair on the front the same. It really seems that left to right movement is all that we have left to address.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
We are going to purchase BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers for our Feather 23RBM. The BAL tandem wheel chocks have greatly minimized the front to back movement, but the front and rear both move side to side. We are thinking one set for the rear and one for the front, and then we will see where we are. So far, we have the slide out, the steps, and the wheels stabilized, but we are obviously not done.

Anyone else use the BAL Lock-Arms?
These work great for me and cost about $20 to make easy mod.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...ked-39709.html

This a good forum on making stabilizers. It take about 95% of the movement out we love having them.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

I use 2 of the BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar (1 front and the diagonal rear) and x-chocks, but only for extended stay trips. If we are just going for a long weekend I just use the x-chocks.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

I use them front and rear, and I added a set of jacks to the center of our 31. The center still bounced up and down. I would say I have eliminated 90% of the movement.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #9

BAL lock-arm stabilizers

The dealer installed the missing front stabilizers on our 145rb at purchase, and I later added a pair of these to the front. I was unable to install a set on the rear stabs due to the drain piping hanging in the way. But on such a short trailer, maybe one set is enough.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #10

We got the rear installed. The product instructions are not the best, but we feel decent about the install results overall. The stabilizers do seem to reduce movement. We set them for side to side movement. We are camping this week. If they do a good job, we will add them to the front, too. The front is still moving a good bit. The BAL wheel chocks have stopped the front-back movement.

It's too soon to recommend or not - more later.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

We got the front done this past weekend. It feels better, but we will know much better after our Christmas trip to the beach. The rear did make a difference during our Thanksgiving lake trip. I still am not crazy about the instructions; I wound up installing it "my way." I am also not crazy about the 1" set bolt. I ordered a set of "T" handle bolts that I will try out this weekend before we depart. I would like it if I do not have to have another need for ratchet during set up and take down. It is also one more time that I have to squat and stretch. Sounds lazy, I know, but all of the tasks add up, and I am always looking for the most efficient ways to get things done. The "T" bolts have a 3.5" handle that is easy to get as hold of with no need for a wrench or a ratchet.

More later after we give 'em a good test run!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #12

We employed all four on the dunes at St. George Island for a week last week. The improvement is marked. After I smashed my thumb under the stabilizer, continuing to lower it with the drill even as I watched my thumb getting flattened - I was very tired after the 10 hour day. So DW did the honors with me talking her through it while I chewed some ADVIL and nursed my thumb in a bag of ice.

We used our full array (step jacks, BAL lock-arms, BAL wheel chocks, and Jack in the Box jacks (barely engaged on slide out). The trailer is pretty tight. There is some movement from the suspension, but it feels a lot better.