Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Bathroom door hard to close...thanks for any help

Just bought a 28DSBH, so it has a bathroom door. My apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find it. The plastic cover on the screen door covers up too much of the actual door handle; I obviously can close the door but it is real hard to grasp to pull the door and to pull the handle to latch it. First, two ideas: one is to add the handle bar that attaches to the screen, second actually cut the plexiglass and replace the screen around the plexiglass to make the screen longer. 1st time camper! Thanks for your help, sorry did not think about taking a picture until right now!
silva2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

I just added the bar to the screen door. The bath room door on mine is very hard to close due to hinge construction. I'm kinda worried that by using the bar I installed on screen door that the mechanism that latches the screen door to the main door is going to break. I wish there was a way to adjust the tension on the hinges.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Truly blessed and HIGHLY favored
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Sausage fingered guys can't close the door!

I think you are correct, the bar should only be used to assist in closing the screen door! It's just a crappy design!
If someone had big sausage fingers they would have a real hard time closing that outside door! Hate to mod something I just bought...but there needs to be a better "handle" on the outside door to assist in pulling it closed! Any other ideas, thanks!
silva2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva2301 View Post
The plastic cover on the screen door covers up too much of the actual door handle; I obviously can close the door but it is real hard to grasp to pull the door and to pull the handle to latch it. First, two ideas: one is to add the handle bar that attaches to the screen, second actually cut the plexiglass and replace the screen around the plexiglass to make the screen longer. 1st time camper! Thanks for your help, sorry did not think about taking a picture until right now!
Option 2 is what I am going to do. It looks simple, I would guess a 20 minute job, so that means 3 hours.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr1967 View Post
Option 2 is what I am going to do. It looks simple, I would guess a 20 minute job, so that means 3 hours.
apr1967 is a person who has done enough DIY to be able to accurately estimate time required!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #6

The bar I put on my bathroom screen door didn't last a season with my grand kids pulling on it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

So I tackled this.

What you need:
9/64 drill bit
18 x 12 chunk of scree. (I got a whole roll at walmart, my ace didn't sell by the foot)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-York-...4-4pc/17133579

1. Remove the tiny screen. Pull the splines on the top, bottom and oudside edge out (save them) and remove just enough of the spline from the hing edge to get the screen out.
2. Pop the plastic see through slider out. Bend it in (towards the RV) and it will just pop right out.
3. Remove the 4 screws (2 top 2 bottom) holding the aluminum that held the outside edge of the screen. Take pictures or draw a picture about how it is oriented and where the screws go into that part.

4. Drill new holes at 6 3/4 and 7 1/4 inch from the inside edge of the door. The existing holes are at about 5 1/4 and 5 5/8 from the inside edge. An inch and a half is going to make a great deal of difference.

rv

The holes with the screws in them (center) are the new ones. The ones on the left were the factory ones, the ones on the right were a mistake.

5. Reinstall the black bar. Make sure the screws go into the correct holes. Make sure it is facing (with the channel for the spline towards the hing side of the door..

6. Reinstall the clear slider. With it closed use a sharpie to mark where you want to cut it off. The using a straight edge and a razor knife score the clear plastic deeply. You can then easily break it cleanly along the line. I use a paper cutter I had. Mine ended up being about 10 1/4 wide. If you screw up you can buy a replacement for $25 on amazon (ask how I know) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

7. Install new screen. I'm sure you can find a youtube about installing screen, I find it helps if you have the spline tool. If you have a big roll of screen like I did, first cut a chunk out that is 3" or 4" oversize to make it easier. I reused the spline I had, it works fine even though the top and bottom spline is a bit short.

8. Drink beer. This is what it looks like how, tons of room to get to the handle.

Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom door, handle, hard to close