Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Battery 30 amp fuse melts

Fuse at Batts blows or melts regularly. Not consistent with the operation of an specific piece of equipment. Like the slide out or a heavy draw. Rv dealers are not sure why that fuse is even there. The 2 heavy gauge black wires that connect to this fuse line lead to the main breaker panel. Looks like one wire connects to the back of the panel in such a way that the next thing in line would be a reverse polarity 20 amp fuse. Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated.
dbphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Double-check your connections to insure you don't have reversed polarity somewhere.

Then look for chaffed, rodent-chewed or just plain shorted wiring between the battery and the converter or other direct connected system.

Check that the breakaway plug is properly seated.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

The fact that that fuse is melting and not your converter pretty much answers the "why is it there" question. Mike has the right idea here. The other thing might be to pull all your converter fuses, plug in your batt fuse, then add the others in one by one until there is an issue. I would do that after checking what Mike387 referred to. That is a lot of draw to melt a 30 amp fuse rather than blow it.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #4

Be glad that fuse is there. It protects your electrical system and battery. You can also pull that fuse, to disconnect the “load” from the battery, as there are lots of parasite drains that will discharge your battery in about two weeks, if you’re not connected to shore power.

Number one thing that blows the fuse is a powered tongue jack, which reaches the end of travel.

If it is blowing for no apparent reason, I would start by following the wires from the battery to back to the converter box. Good chance you have a pinched, frayed wire somewhere, most likely within about 3 feet of the battery. I wrapped all my exposed wires on the tongue area in friction tape, for protection.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

The DC OUTPUT of the CONVERTER/CHARGER is 45-55 DC AMPS depending what model you have. The DC CURRENT coming out of the BATTERY is around 200AMPS for a short time. If your short to frame ground is close to the CONVERTER/CHARGER unit then BATTERY DC CURRENT will melt your CABLES between the BATTERY TERMINALS and the frame ground short. This is why you have a fuse real close to the battery - protects the cables and the battery... The frame ground short could also cause the battery to explode on you as well if it wasn't protected by an in-line fuse.

You might indeed have your battery terminals reversed... The for sure way to determine this is find the MARKED NEG or the symbol '-' on the battery case and make sure this is the cable coming from the frame ground.

Some folks just remembers that ground was on the left or right. Then they go get the same new battery and hook it up without looking. Then they find out the manufacturer has swapped the terminals on them after they blown all there fuses first...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #6

I don't have an answer for you but we just returned from our very first trip with our new trailer and our fuse from the battery blew 3 times! Going right back to dealer for them to investigate.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Blown fuse

Thanks for all the input guys. I will be checking all those things and will post the results
dbphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

If the fuse is actually melting as you describe I would suspect a loose or corroded fuse holder.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
If the fuse is actually melting as you describe I would suspect a loose or corroded fuse holder.

Correct!!!
A fuse that is blown is a result of a heavy load or a short to ground.
A fuse that is melted is a result of a loose connection or to large of amperage fuse.
If it is melted then Solder in a new fuse holder and put dielectric grease into the cavity before inserting fuse.
Just my .02
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
X2 I had a problem with this same 30 amp fuse melting - note it was not burning the fuse link, but the entire fuse would melt. The problem was a faulty fuse holder. Dealer gave me a new one and as soon as I changed the holder out with the new one, the problem was solved. Never blew a fuse in the remaining 2 years that I owned the rv. IMHO if the problem were a short, it would blow the fusible link not melt the plastic.

Worked for me, but I have been known to be wrong.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphantom View Post
Fuse at Batts blows or melts regularly. Not consistent with the operation of an specific piece of equipment. Like the slide out or a heavy draw. Rv dealers are not sure why that fuse is even there. The 2 heavy gauge black wires that connect to this fuse line lead to the main breaker panel. Looks like one wire connects to the back of the panel in such a way that the next thing in line would be a reverse polarity 20 amp fuse. Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated.
If that RV dealer doesn't know why that fuse exists DO NOT let that dealer work on your electrics!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
If that RV dealer doesn't know why that fuse exists DO NOT let that dealer work on your electrics!
For sure!

On trailers with electric brakes, doesn't the 12 volt battery also power these electric brakes? Could the 30 amp fuse be blowing due to a problem with the electric brakes?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
For sure! On trailers with electric brakes, doesn't the 12 volt battery also power these electric brakes? Could the 30 amp fuse be blowing due to a problem with the electric brakes?
When not towing the electric brakes are not energized. The breakaway switch wire connected to the camper battery is not supposed to be fused. It should be a direct connect to the positive terminal of the camper battery. So, no, the electric brakes are not causing the fuse to blow or melt.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
I don't have an answer for you but we just returned from our very first trip with our new trailer and our fuse from the battery blew 3 times! Going right back to dealer for them to investigate.
Dealer just called us. They ended up replacing the 30 amp main fuse with a thermal reset breaker. It was their opinion that the fuse there is insufficient.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Did they mention that if it trips, you have to wait for it to cool before it resets?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Did they mention that if it trips, you have to wait for it to cool before it resets?
No, just briefly talked on the phone. Sounded good to me but what do I know...

After thinking about it wondering why it was getting so hot in the first place. Is the real problem solved?

So, how long does it take?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post

So, how long does it take?
A few minutes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #18

Sounds like a bad connection creating resistance. Also your not connected to your trailer connection on your tow vehicle when this occurs are you?. Being plugged into AC and connected to tow vehicle at the same time can short things out. I didn't like the fuse holders and connections on our trailer so I mounted a weatherproof box with 2 circuit breakers and a master cut off switch next to the battery. Since doing this I've had no power issues.
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post
Sounds like a bad connection creating resistance. Also your not connected to your trailer connection on your tow vehicle when this occurs are you?. Being plugged into AC and connected to tow vehicle at the same time can short things out. I didn't like the fuse holders and connections on our trailer so I mounted a weatherproof box with 2 circuit breakers and a master cut off switch next to the battery. Since doing this I've had no power issues.
Just to keep facts straight: If everything is wired correctly there is no problem with the tow vehicle connected while also connected to shore power.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #20

I know that a bad connection will produce heat. I don't know what most of you do, but I packed mine with dielectric grease and tucked the fuse holder inside the battery box. The dealer just allowed it to be outside of the box where water spray and road salts would definitely cause issues with time.
skidsjayco is offline   Reply With Quote