Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Battery Charging

I have a question! We brought home our JayFeather X23B a week ago and no one at the dealer really told us anything about the battery. (We didn't know enough to ask either as it's our first trailer) It looks as though we won't be taking it out to camp for a few weeks because of weather. What I'd like to know is, should we disconnect the battery, even if it just sits empty with nothing on? And my second question is, if I plug the trailer into my outdoor electric socket, does that also then re-charge the battery? Thanks. I have been reading the owner's manual trying to find a definitive answer, but I think the forum might help more!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

Good questions. There are a lot of parasite drains on the battery if you do not disconnect it you will have a dead battery in two weeks or so. If the unit will be unplugged for any amount of time (1 week or more) disconnect the battery. Typically there is a 30 amp fuse under the battery cover. If there is not one, I would strongly recommended adding one. If you have the unit plugged in at home, it will automatically charge the battery and keep it charged.

One additional battery maintenance thing, is to check the water level. Every few months check the fluid levels in each cell. If they are a little low add DISTILLED water to top off the cells. Never let the water level get below the top of the cell.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Just a small ext. cord will be enough current to keep the unit charged and provide lights. Hope you can start enjoying it soon.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

I picked up one of those RV30A-15A adapters from WALMART that will adapt your RV30AMP shore power cable to the extension cord. I would try to locate a 10-gauge (10-3) HD extension cord to use. You can drop back to the 12-gauge size if the length is not to long. The RED ORANGE color cheap extension cords you see in the stores is usually 16-gauge wire and will get hot on you if you use them for hooking up the trailer.

Make sure you have all three termials used. This is where the trailer gets grounded... Once all hooked up its a good idea to check the connection points to make sure nothing is getting warm to hot. This will burn up your 30AMP Shore Power plug if it is plugged into a poor connection.

I also have one of those RV120VAC plug-in meters that I can glance at when hooked up and can read the AC VOLTAGE shown in the SAFE ZOBE on the meter face. This is important if you want to run your air conditioner. The AC VOLTAGE should be inside the printed SAFE ZONE on the meter face...

Using the 15AMPS from your garage or other connections will run most everything in your trailer but on the high current items like the Air Conditioner or Microwave you will probably only have to have one on at a time - otherwise it will trip your house breaker...

We do this all the time... Kinda neat to visit the kids sometimes and sleep in the trailer in the driveway.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Lost my first post...
I know you just bought the TT, but check the battery's water level now, before you leave for camping. You never know how long the battery has been sitting. You can also check the battery's mfr date on the top of the battery. If it is an Interstate battery the date code is stamped on the plastic top next to the negative battery post. It should have a recent date. You can then log on to the battery's mfr website and they should have the date code key.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I know you just bought the TT, but check the battery's water level now, before you leave for camping.
That's a good piece of advice. My battery was low on water when I brought it home from the dealership. You would be surprised how hard it is to find distilled water when you're actually looking for it...

Also, as opposed to leaving your battery mounted on your trailer when it's in storage, I like to take mine off the trailer and store it in the garage at home hooked up to a float charger. This keeps the battery in my possession (it's a lot harder to steal from my garage than from the storage lot) and keeps the battery charge maintained and out of the elements.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #7

Thanks so much for all the helpful information! I've gotten much more here than from the dealership. Went to Walmart and got the adapter, and will try it out tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

After all this info (and getting an adapter) we decided we should check the fluid levels like a few of you recommended. ...but I can't find a way to check. It looks like a sealed battery to me. HELP please!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

There should be two rectangular caps on the top of the battery. Grab a good sized flat-head screw driver and gently pry them off (there are usually small cut-outs where the bottom of the cap meets the top of the battery where you can put the tip of the screw driver). Carefully fill each cell with DISTILLED water (not all the way to the top of the battery, just to the bottom of the plastic), and snap them back on with a good thump with the heel of your hand.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

Nope! No caps! It's a solid smooth flat top....
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #11

Well, isn't that strange? I guess it could be a sealed deep cycle battery, but I can't imagine a dealer going to the expense of putting a sealed AGM or Gel cell battery on a TT.

Was the trailer used? What brand is the battery? Can you put up a pic?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

I will try to put a picture up this afternoon, running out the door right now! Thanks SO much!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #13

There is such a thing as sealed lead acid battery that is fairly cheap. They use pressure release valves instead of caps. Tell us your battery make and model and we can look it up for you.

Also, you can always find distilled water in the infant section of Walmart type stores.

Since batteries are a dealer installed object, all of our power plants are different and unique as the noses on our faces.
BunkintheRear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

Ok here is the battery, I think it must be the kind you just mentioned...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #15

Roy....
The images you posted in your note are really helpful. I have a question about the RV120VAC plug-in meter that you use. Can I plug that into any outlet in the camper and know that the power load is safe or should I test a couple outlets? If I'm understanding you correctly, the meter should register in the green zone, correct? What does it mean (and what should I do) if it registers low or high?

Thank you!
Deni
RatherBCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Site Team

Hi Rebecca,
Can you give us the information on the little box on the top of the battery? I included a picture of the label that may have additional needed information on it.
Thanks
Don

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	11311
Attached Thumbnails
Battery.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #17

Hi Don, here's another shot, and thanks so much for
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #18

Uh oh! I guess that photo didn't go through. I'll try again!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #19

That certainly looks like a sealed maintenance free battery. If there is any model numbers or any info on the battery can you post it, possible website address? I tried to do a web search but I could not find anything. I am guessing it is a group 27 battery from what I could read on the price tag. Typically dealers install cheap group 24 batteries. This is a good upgrade if you camp off the grid, as it will/should have more storage capacity. Also from the label it looks like it is also used in UPS.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #20

I'm trying to send a photo again. Last one didn't go through. I do not see a website address though.