Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Axels frown when thier happy, and smile when sad.
I've bent three axels on my dump trailer. They really mess up the inside of the tire when bent. And you can pretty much see the wheel tilted inward.

2016 North Point 341RLTS
2012 F-350 Lariat CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Emailed both Jayco and Drexel. Jayco said there were no issues with the axles and that my extended warranty wouldn't cover the axles. Drexel never responded back after 2 emails. I think I will need to try again and maybe call to speak to someone. I prefer email so I have a record I actually took the trailer back to my RV dealer and asked them to look at it. At that time, first year I had it, they said there was nothing wrong with it and never put the service in the computer! The trailer is a 2010.

medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
I have twin 3500lb Dexter axles on my trailer. They both have the typical arch in them as you described, and I have other trailers with similar axles that all have the same thing. It's normal.

My rear axle needs attention - I'm getting some tread wear on one of the tires only, on the inside of the tread. Now THAT is an indication of a bent axle. I contacted a local Jayco dealer that I know and trust and spoke with "my guy" and he informed me of the surprisingly common issue with Dexter Axles. He said it's the newer ones that are having problems due to thinner gauge steel, cheaper manufacturing, etc.

I also have tried contacting the sh!tty company that is called Dexter and no one will respond to me. Apparently there is a spring shop not too far away that will remove the axle, bend it true, and install it aligned for 250 bucks. I'm thinking I will go this route in the spring.
2013 F-150 EcoBoost MaxTow
2013 Jay Flight 28BHS Elite

"My wheel lugs require more torque than your Honda makes!"
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Originally Posted by medic149 View Post
I actually had both tires on the same axle blowout because the inside tread of both tires wore down to the belts. Couldn't even see the wear until you crawled underneath. I've seen posts from people saying that Jayco and Drexel know of the axle problem, because the axles were rated too low for the trailer. My dealer won't even give me the time of day and just says there is nothing we can do, you'll have to buy new axles!! I hate RV dealers!!!! Now I'm stuck and have to find some repair shop that can help me.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I have a question AND a thought. Were the tires on the rear axle? I've found that the rear tires tend to wear on the inside edges, due to the fact that when turning corners, the fronts track the road surface evenly, but the rears are subjected to sideways forces against the road. This, in my opinion, causes the inner edge wear. My first set of tires, after 30k miles, had the steel belts showing, rear tires only, inner edges.

When your TT is in a tight turn, the trailer tends to pivot on the front tires. The rear tires, especially the one on the inner side of the turn, tend to skid sideways over the road surface, grinding off the rubber.

Rotating the tires regularly will even out the wear, but even so, eventually all will show more wear on the inside edges. I suppose that if you wanted to eke the most life out of the tires, you could at some point have the remounted, flipped 180 degrees on the wheels.

And that's my thought for the day.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
Site Team
We are talking about Dexter axle. Just to not confuse anyone.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote