Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #1

Bent axle???

I finally took my '08 165BH to get some new rubber put on it. I've had it about a year now and just didnt trust the tires as I didn't know their history even though they had plenty of tread left, they were 6 years old. Anyway, When the tech pulled the tires off he called me in to the back to look at the axle. Its bent. BUT, it looks like a manufactured bend. The bend is pointed "UP". Its smooth and is bent exactly in the middle and a drain pipe runs directly beneath it with only a few inches at most of clearance. It looks to me like it is bent to allow for this pipe. I went to a local tire place not an RV dealer as nearest one is an hour away. No doubt about it, the thing is bent. Not much but it is definitely noticeable. My question is this, Is it supposed to be bent? Just looks to smooth and manufactured not to be. Has anybody else noticed this. Do I need to get this investigated further? Looking at taking it on about a 2000 mile round trip in April. Don't want no issues then.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #2

There should be an arch in the axle!! Did the tires have a fairly even tread pattern?? If the only issue was an arch or bow in the axle, you are most likely just fine. One tire showing excessive wear on one side or the other could indicate a bent axle.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #3

Tires had almost new tread on both of them. No uneven wear anywhere. Changed mainly because of their age. Dealer I bought it from personally knew the former owners and said they had rarely used it. Have no reason not to believe him. I guess an arch would be a better way to describe it. I know flatbed semi trailers have an arch built into the them to handle the load. I guess this is a similar concept??
Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

They are suppose to have an arch in them
Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #5

Thats called camber.
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Site Team

My axles are the same way, no cause for alarm.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #7

Hammer, Linkbelt and Crabman share my view and experience. But you need to get comfortable with this before your trip. Have an expert on that axle look at it.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #8

Sounds good enough for me. I really looks manufactured so I'm good.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Bent axles :(

I actually had both tires on the same axle blowout because the inside tread of both tires wore down to the belts. Couldn't even see the wear until you crawled underneath. I've seen posts from people saying that Jayco and Drexel know of the axle problem, because the axles were rated too low for the trailer. My dealer won't even give me the time of day and just says there is nothing we can do, you'll have to buy new axles!! I hate RV dealers!!!! Now I'm stuck and have to find some repair shop that can help me.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

AJ
medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

How old is your trailer? Have you contacted Jayco with your VIN#? You have a Drexel axle so have you contacted Drexel?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

Axels frown when thier happy, and smile when sad.
I've bent three axels on my dump trailer. They really mess up the inside of the tire when bent. And you can pretty much see the wheel tilted inward.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Emailed both Jayco and Drexel. Jayco said there were no issues with the axles and that my extended warranty wouldn't cover the axles. Drexel never responded back after 2 emails. I think I will need to try again and maybe call to speak to someone. I prefer email so I have a record I actually took the trailer back to my RV dealer and asked them to look at it. At that time, first year I had it, they said there was nothing wrong with it and never put the service in the computer! The trailer is a 2010.
medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #13

I have twin 3500lb Dexter axles on my trailer. They both have the typical arch in them as you described, and I have other trailers with similar axles that all have the same thing. It's normal.

My rear axle needs attention - I'm getting some tread wear on one of the tires only, on the inside of the tread. Now THAT is an indication of a bent axle. I contacted a local Jayco dealer that I know and trust and spoke with "my guy" and he informed me of the surprisingly common issue with Dexter Axles. He said it's the newer ones that are having problems due to thinner gauge steel, cheaper manufacturing, etc.

I also have tried contacting the sh!tty company that is called Dexter and no one will respond to me. Apparently there is a spring shop not too far away that will remove the axle, bend it true, and install it aligned for 250 bucks. I'm thinking I will go this route in the spring.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic149 View Post
I actually had both tires on the same axle blowout because the inside tread of both tires wore down to the belts. Couldn't even see the wear until you crawled underneath. I've seen posts from people saying that Jayco and Drexel know of the axle problem, because the axles were rated too low for the trailer. My dealer won't even give me the time of day and just says there is nothing we can do, you'll have to buy new axles!! I hate RV dealers!!!! Now I'm stuck and have to find some repair shop that can help me.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

AJ
I have a question AND a thought. Were the tires on the rear axle? I've found that the rear tires tend to wear on the inside edges, due to the fact that when turning corners, the fronts track the road surface evenly, but the rears are subjected to sideways forces against the road. This, in my opinion, causes the inner edge wear. My first set of tires, after 30k miles, had the steel belts showing, rear tires only, inner edges.

When your TT is in a tight turn, the trailer tends to pivot on the front tires. The rear tires, especially the one on the inner side of the turn, tend to skid sideways over the road surface, grinding off the rubber.

Rotating the tires regularly will even out the wear, but even so, eventually all will show more wear on the inside edges. I suppose that if you wanted to eke the most life out of the tires, you could at some point have the remounted, flipped 180 degrees on the wheels.

And that's my thought for the day.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Site Team

We are talking about Dexter axle. Just to not confuse anyone.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote