Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
How many bikes could you expect to get on the A-Frame mount w/o severely affecting maneuverability? I'm thinking it's only good for 2, or maybe 1 adult (closest to camper) and 2 kids bikes.
Depends mostly on the length of the bike rack extension arm. My Thule is a bit longer than many but comfortably carries two adult bikes with no maneuvering difficulty. The purpose built racks by Arvika sit closer to the TT and hold four easily, although an extra front support is needed over 2 bikes. I can back into a site with the bikes still on and have never had it interfere with the TV.

The picture I posted earlier in the thread shows two bikes mounted. The one on the outside is an XL frame MTB - I'm 6'3" so it is a large frame.

bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

Bankr63, doesn't the Arvika A-Frame mount only have 1 central vertical support? Your pics show 1 on each side of the frame.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
Bankr63, doesn't the Arvika A-Frame mount only have 1 central vertical support? Your pics show 1 on each side of the frame.
The "3rd arm" is an option available with their bigger racks and attaches the front of the bike rack to the A frame up near the coupler for more stability. Recommended for more than 2 bikes, but we only have a 2 bike carrier. I am not sure if it could be adapted for a non-Arvika rack or not; depends on how it attaches at the rack end. I would think it would probably only work with a tray style rack though; a hanging rack won't have anything to attach to.

Again, I have their 2" receiver rack, their bike racks share the same mounting components but the top of the rack would be different, and the bikes will ride closer in to the trailer.

bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bicycle, bike, bike rack