Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Black Sealant Roof, Cap, and Sidewall

What is the black sealant that covers a seam of about 8" at the roof edge where the cap terminates? It seals the seam where the roof, the cap, and the sidewall meet, near the rain gutter. It is somewhat rubberized. Is this black lap seal, or is it a different product?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Team

They use self-leveling sealant on areas that are horizontal, and either transition from front cap to roof, or anywhere the roof material is penetrated for a vent, skylight, etc. Ours has white sealant, but if yours has black accents, it probably matches your colors.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

My roof is sealed with the white lap sealant for the most part, but it also has the black rubbery stuff you're talking about up where the gutter spouts are attached. I'm not sure what that stuff is. It's not lap sealant, and yes, it seems more rubbery that the sealants that I've used.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #4

Yes, I have the white lap seal around the vents (etc.), but this stuff is a black sealer that is just applied at the gutter on the edge as the cap bends/curves on top of the roof. It looks like RTV, but is a bit more "rubbery" and thicker almost like a rubbery tar or if you were to combine silicon and tar - that's what it feels like. Surely someone on this site knows about this material. I would like to know what it is and how to buy it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #5

I never got a good answer from Jayco on what the black sealant was. Definitely different than lap sealant. I may try to find out again.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Yes, I have the white lap seal around the vents (etc.), but this stuff is a black sealer that is just applied at the gutter on the edge as the cap bends/curves on top of the roof. It looks like RTV, but is a bit more "rubbery" and thicker almost like a rubbery tar or if you were to combine silicon and tar - that's what it feels like. Surely someone on this site knows about this material. I would like to know what it is and how to buy it.
When I had the front end on my trailer replaced, they applied this black stuff to the front corners where the gutter/front/sides come together. I asked the dealer what it was. Silicone sealant they said. I told them to remove and apply Dicor non-leveling sealant.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
It's probably the same goop they use to seal around windshields. We have had windshields replaced in many cars and even the huge ones in our class A motorhomes. The installers are very liberal with it and it has about a 48-72 hour cure time.
A phone call to a local glass shop should help identify the black goop.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

That black goop used on windshields is a urethane and abarkl is correct about the long cure time but I must say, while employed in the collision repair industry, I saw MANY vehicles released before allowing proper cure time. This was allowed due to customer or insurance company pressure most times. All the shop can do is explain to the customer what is recommended.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #9

Today, our Jayco dealer told me that Jayco uses Quad on these seams. I have used loads of Quad white on our home, and it sets up harder (not as squishy or rubbery) than this stuff on our Feather's roof. Quad comes in a variety of colors, but I have not found black in the home cheapo stores. The dealer wanted $13 for their Quad, $8 more than the big box stores. I will see about getting a tube.