Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Cool Black water valve problem ???

Recently while leaving the campground I went to hook up my sewer hose to dump. I made sure the valves were closed however when I opened the cap, black water came out. I quickly replaced the cap and checked the valves again; closed! I thought for some reason some seeped by the valve so I tried again placing the hose under the cap to catch the seepage and slowly opened the valve to see if it would quickly run the "seepage" and then stop so I could hook up the sewer hose. It was more that seeping and well, we all know how fun this was.

I closed the valve again and exercised the valves a couple of times to make sure something wasnt caught in a valve and then tried again, once again holding the hose under the drain. This time it worked and the flow stopped and I was able to place the hose on and drain the tanks.

What's the deal? What are the tricks? How do you know if you have a problem when the valve is up underneath the protective sheeting on the bottom of the TT. I am a new TT owner. This is the first time I have had the problem but I sure don't want to repeat it. I really don't enjoy the sewer part.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Make sure when you dump, you flush all in then tank, then add water and flush until the discharge is clear. Get a clear fitting so you can see when the water is clear.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

You most probably did have a black valve leaking that had backed up in the discharge pipe. What Norty1 says is accurate. Its not uncommon to get toilet paper caught in the knife blade of your black tank valve especially if you hadn't done a very thorough job of flushing your black tank system on your previous dump.
I also would recommend getting a Valterra T58 twist on waste valve. Its a secondary valve that locks on where your sewage hose fits. If you get paper stuck in the valve its very difficult at times to get it to release. It becomes wedged in the knife blade crack and won't allow a good seal. If you have paper stuck in your primary valve, you leave that valve open for a trip or two. With water exposed to that wedged paper, it will swell back up and float out of the valve. The second valve also gives you two lines of defense against leaks. I use one all the time.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Thank you. Yea, I do that each time until the water runs clear. After this mess I did and extra cleaning and used the on-board sewer flusher and watched until it was filled then emptied it again - all clear. I exercised the valves again, and it seems the valve is closed. ???

I cannot think of anything that would keep it from closing all of the way. We only use it for, well, you know.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Team

The Valterra twist on valve is in my sewer box. I use it often.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion on the Valterra twist valve. I would still like to know how to best clean out that black tank. I treat the tank when we are holding to break up solids. When we leave I make sure it is empty. I use the sewer flush and let it run for a few minutes with the black valve closed then drain again. Am I doing all the right things?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

According to Jayco, the black tank sprayer should never be used with the valve closed. In my opinion, if you have the option. I run a garden hose into the bathroom and stick it down in the toilet. Let it fill for 3 or 4 minutes and open the valve. Once or twice of that and you have a CLEAN tank!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

I have a black tank sprayer on my TT and the mfgr also says it should never be used with the valve closed also but I do it ALL THE TIME! I just make damn certain I don't get distracted and go off to do something else
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I love this forum!!! I will be picking up a Valterra valve this week along with a clear elbow adapter to make sure all is "clear" when dumping.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Site Team

One more tip...make sure you get fittings with. 4 tabs instead of 2. Tighter fit will prevent drips.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
I have a black tank sprayer on my TT and the mfgr also says it should never be used with the valve closed also but I do it ALL THE TIME! I just make damn certain I don't get distracted and go off to do something else
I agree 100%.

My black tank seldom gets over 50% when I hit the dump station. I always connect the tank rinser hose first and turn it on and let it run while I hook up the dump hose. This gets everything stirred up and suspended. This way it does a much better job of clearing stuff out of the tank. When the flow decreases I close the valve again for 5 minutes (if no one is waiting behind me) and open it again. That does a very good job cleaning the tank.

When I get home I service the tank with chemical and a couple of gallons of water. Do not want the valve to dry out.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote