Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

boondocking this summer....

I plan on bringing our trailer up to our land in New Mexico for the greater part of the summer. We will use it there approx. 3 weekends per month.

I have neighbors up there so theft isn't a big issue or, at least I hope not. How do you guys recommend I set the trailer up. I would like to make an aluminum awning for the land but the cost is too high. I was thinking about covering it until I read the posts here "to cover or not".

I guess in a nutshell, I'm worrying about rodents and the weather, it's at 7000 ft., high desert area with temps in the summer being 85 tops.

Any pointers of what to do or not to do would be great.

Thanks,
Keith
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

Well like on my Jayco Eagle I took some time and hunted down all the pipes that enter through the floor and double checked them for gaps or such... (Mine are tight!) If not I would suggest getting some spray foam and loading the gaps up so the mice don't get in.

If you got cover tanks I suggest you take a few moth balls and tuck then into the tank area to prevent the mice from moving into that enclosed space ruining tank wiring. The smell of the moth ball should help in keeping them out.

Other than that keep it vented and dry...

Like my TT is sitting in the yard and I've paid attention to the snow around it and was noticing the mice foot prints in the snow. I suggest if you want to protect it better use a ultrasonic pest box too.

I highly suggest you don't use any kind of baited poison or baited trap inside the trailer because you just attracting the problem into your living space. You want to make the mice and rodents life miserable enough they don't want to hang around the TT or even want to try to enter it.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks Mopar, I was thinking about moth balls also, I will incorporate them this summer. Question, what are cover tanks?

Any ideas on how I should keep it vented?

I agree with baiting them, its like them people who use them electric bug zappers, I wish all my neighbors had them so my yard could be bug free....lol
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

We are in the same boat with you. We have 40 acres of property near Show Low and the rodents are a problem. We felt we will not leave our tt at the property due to safety issues and rodents. We were vandalized 2 yrs ago with our old slide in truck camper on the property. Have had the property since 1996 with no issues untill then. So now we leave nothing there. It is good you have neighbors nearby that can see things going on.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote