Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Brake check new user question

I never towed anything with electric brakes before... Hence maybe a stupid question...
I have Honda pilot with tow package and P3 brake controller towing new 17' jay flight slx, 3500 gvwr

P3 manual says that I should choose the braking voltage just before wheels lock up, but trailer dealer said that P3 will never allow trailer wheels to lock up...
I tried playing with settings up to max voltage, and even when using override lever at max the trailer wheels do not lock up (unless I'm totally deaf or the tires are really silent at 25mph) I do feel the brakes kicking in, but rather softly, and it does not feel like they are about to lock up...
Is this a normal experience or I have a defective brakes?
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

This has been a topic that has been discussed quite a bit lately on the forum. You can catch up on that discussion here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ons-37507.html

Much of that discussion has centered around the performance of Factory Brake controllers - and I know you have the P3 (an excellent controller by the way).

Here's my opinion - you may get others here:
1) Yes, You should be able to lock up your brakes - and you'll know when you do, lots of squealing and smoke just like when you lock up car brakes.
2) Sadly you can't always trust the dealer, or rather a dealers employees. Some of them lie but most of them just simply don't know what they are talking about. You have to do your own research and this is a good place to start.
3) Several members, including me, as you will read near the end of the thread above, have discovered that it takes quite a while for electric, self adjusting trailer brakes to actually "settle in" and self adjust enough.

I used to pull a 20ft Sunline TT with a P3. I couldn't run it past a setting of 3 or the brakes would lock up on even a soft stop. And I always felt like I could make the trailer stop both the truck and trailer.

Read the thread I referenced above and If your's don't get better after a few trips - take it back to the dealer and insist they pull the wheels, check that all magnets are getting power, that the brakes are in adjustment and that there is no grease on the brake shoes. Those are the three most common problems for poor electric brakes.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Ukrainian_Kozak;465218]I tried playing with settings up to max voltage, and even when using override lever at max the trailer wheels do not lock up QUOTE]

Hi, in my experience if you use the override lever and it does not lock up the wheels there is an issue. You could also pull the emergency brake cable on the trailer, it's a simple pin which pulls out of the small black box and you can put back into place easily. This should activate the brakes on the trailer independently from the vehicle. If you pull that out, try to drive and the wheels are not locked up take it back to the dealer asap.
therealbc is offline   Reply With Quote