Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #1

Cargo Carriers

I have noticed some TT have a fold up cargo carrier attached to the back bumper. Where can I find one? It would help to carry my generator when camping with no power. Thanks for any advice.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

They're available at lots of different places. Cabelas for example has 'em. Maybe Camping world does as well?

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

I have found many of the Hitch Haul carriers that mount into a 2" reciever, but I am talking about the ones that bolt on in 2 locations. Like this Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo carrier.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5573
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Ah, gotcha. I wonder if that one in the photo is actually bolted to the trailer's frame? Seems to me that the bumper would twist up if you put much weight on a true bumper-mounted carrier, unless you went the Mount 'n Lock route. Someone smarter than I will probably be able to help!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

I have a little bit of insight on this topic, and I hope it helps. I wanted a bike rack to attach to the bumper of my X19, so I did an internet search and found a bumper adapter that bolted to the 4'' bumper, and you just slid whatever component you wanted into it. Think of it as a 2" receiver that bolts onto an RV bumper. From the pictures, descriptions and customer comments displayed on the website, it was the perfect solution to my problem. I went to the RV dealer where we bought our TT, told the salesman what I was trying to do, he showed me the two different ones they carried in stock, and recommended the Swagman adapter, because it had a better warranty. So I bought it. I took it home, bolted it on as per the manufacturers instructions, put the bike rack and 3 bikes on it, and we were off to the CG. When we got to the CG, I immediately noticed that the bumper was twisted; the welds were still intact, but the actual bumper was tearing--the steel!! For the trip home, the bikes were inside the TT, the bike rack was in the TV, and I was.......upset. I called the dealer where I bought it, he said it "Wasn't their problem, call Swagman." I called Swagman, they faxed me a claim form. I filled out the claim form, sent pictures, and waited. Within a week, a manager from Swagman called me and said "The adapter you bought and installed correctly was NOT for Jayco products." Another call to the Jayco dealer where I bought it at, and this time they were willing to listen... Especially after I told him that the parts counter salesman specifically recommended that particular adapter to me, and Swagman said it is NOT for Jayco TT's. My dealer replaced the bumper, and for $230, they reinforced the bumper in 2 different locations so that I could use that adapter on my TT. I haven't tried it again, but I will this summer. I wish you luck, and I hope this helps.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

I have a bike carrier on mine with a 250 pound weight limit. It was an option when I purchased it. It is bolted directly to the frame and slides under when not in use.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Thanks. Will have to see if I can get my bumper reinforced to make it work.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
I have a bike carrier on mine with a 250 pound weight limit. It was an option when I purchased it. It is bolted directly to the frame and slides under when not in use.
That is a $420 option when ordered from the factory. I now have $1400 in ours. Frieght alone was over
$400.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote