Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #1

Cdn vs US Product

I am new to TT's and looking at getting a Feather Ultra Lite X213. I was at an RV show last weekend in WA and the unit there was "show priced" at $21k. Returning back to Canada the dealer offered me the special price of $23.6k (Both in USD and before taxes and with comparable features). Both prices are before any attempt at negotiation.

I have researched importing to Canada and am not worried about the hassle of bringing to Canada but the Canadian sales guy was trying to claim different Canadian Standards to justify one reason for the higher Canadian price. Below is a copy of part of his email:

"As you consider a trailer purchase from the USA, I would like to once again address some points that most people aren't aware of. The first being that US and Canadian Recreational vehicles, even from the very same manufacturer are not created equal. Canadian units are built to a much higher standard due to strict regulations and safety requirements of our government, and must be Canadian certified. Safety is the biggest concern, and something as complex as gas lines are configured differently in a Canadian model opposed to a US one. Even the plumbing is different, and believe it or not the flooring in an American unit is not even glued down, where a Canadian unit is. The US flooring is just placed down and tacked onto the perimeter of the plywood, making it vulnerable to cracking in cold weather. This is acceptable, and meet the standards down south, but really does fall short here in Canada."

He also tried to tell me that Jayco Trailers purchased in the US would not have warranty work honoured in Canada and that I would have to pay everything out of pocket and try to recover and recover any outlays directly from Jayco.

Can anyone comment on differences in construction standards and warranty issue? Thanks!
BackInBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Why not "E" mail JAYCO and ask?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Below are a few links I have read that other folks from the Great White North who have had the same questions that you have and one is the process of bringing the TT from the US to Canada. The best bet would be to phone the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240. The web site is www.riv.ca!

Good luck on finding the best deal.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/26216138.cfm
http://petesrv.com/help/import_rv_to_canada.htmlhttp://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...g/26216364.cfm
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...g/26216364.cfm
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

My TT (see sig) has a Canadian flag on door side above wheel wells. Everyone always asks about it. It's there from the factory to indicate my trailer meets Canadian standards. If not incorrect I believe most Jaycos have this. BTW never been to Canada and neither has the TT.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Bought my TT in California. It included the Canadian standards as indicated on the paperwork and the same Canadian flag sticker mentioned above...sticker has been removed, to many questions from other campers. However, IIRC the Canadian Gov't "much higher standard" cost all of $169. Also, I don't believe there are truly any difference in the products, it's just Jayco had to pay a fee to CSA (similar to UL) to get the approval from CSA.

When I sold electronics/semiconductors everything was both UL/CSA approved and there was no difference in the components.

Update: looked at Jayco site, Canadian Standard option is $200. IMO you aren't getting anything but a sticker for that $200, there is no build difference.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

If you look on Jayco's website Canadian Standards option for a White Hawk is $186. When I ordered my 27 DSRL, the dealer called in the order directly to Jayco. They said you could not order that option for trailers delivered in the US, only in Canada. Dealer seemed to think that the only difference was heavier gauge wire.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
If you look on Jayco's website Canadian Standards option for a White Hawk is $186. When I ordered my 27 DSRL, the dealer called in the order directly to Jayco. They said you could not order that option for trailers delivered in the US, only in Canada. Dealer seemed to think that the only difference was heavier gauge wire.
Interesting, mine was ordered by a California dealer for delivery in California and it came with it. When i asked they said they do that because its not uncommon for snowbirds traveling I5 and 99 through CA to come by their dealership and look at new MH/5ers/TT. Having the CSA standards helps make the sale and adding the CSA to most of there inventory is just worth it to them.

By the way, $200 I quoted above was for a '13 JayFlight.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will have something in the next week or two!
BackInBC is offline   Reply With Quote