Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Cleaning Roof

What is the proper way to clean the roof of a jayco roof? Jayco said use mild soap and water. So a vidio where they used spic and span then followed up when dry with 303 airospace protecdent. I used 303 on my pop up roof for years, seemed to keep it in great shape.
Camper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper3 View Post
What is the proper way to clean the roof of a jayco roof? Jayco said use mild soap and water. So a vidio where they used spic and span then followed up when dry with 303 airospace protecdent. I used 303 on my pop up roof for years, seemed to keep it in great shape.
What material is your roof? On my Roof, I have a 2012185rb slx, I use dish soap and warm water and a medium brush. I do this 2-3 time a year and I have no black streak issues and the roof still looks good. Myself I do not Like to use any chemicals, but I know some people have on here.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Do not know what type of roof. Rubber? It is a Jayco 213 XPE year 2010.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

I would call Jayco before using 303. There are lots of products being sold for rubber roofs, yet over the years the manufacturers continue to recommend soap and a soft brush. Chemicals can dry out the rubber and make it degrade faster. I haven't ever cleaned my roof on my 17 year old camper.

This is the same rubber used on commercial buildings and is never meant to be cleaned. The rubber naturally chalks away (black streaks) whether you wash it or not. You only really need to clean it to check the seals. I Eternabond my seals and don't worry about cleaning the roof.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Spoon, curious, here in the gulf coast anything that stands still long enough will get mold on it its so humid nearly all the time. My house roof with composite shingles gets black mold. So does my trailer, but I've not worried about it, seems like the cure is worse than the illness of having it dark and dirty. Scrubbing it might remove more of the roof coating than I'd like...
I do get white streaks down the paint from water running off the roof which I was told by folks here is pretty normal. Is the eternabond used instead of the leveling caulk up on the roof?
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Yes. I use 2" wide Eternabond and tape it about 1" on the rubber roof and let it overhang the siding about 1". If you properly clean the roof and wall and properly install Eternabond (it requires a roller for the pressure activated adhesive) then it will last longer than your rubber roof. The caulk requires periodic (up to 4 times a year depending upon whom you ask) inspection as it dries out and separates. Eternabond is rated for 20 years if installed correctly.

It won't help or prevent streaks though... that is the natural chalking of the rubber roof.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #7

I called and spoke to Jayco about my roof. They said a UV blocker here in Florida was a good idea. I gave them my VIN number and they looked up my material. I used "Protect All" Rubber roof cleaner and UV protection. I am well pleased with the way it looks and feels and beads up water along with much less chalk now. I know and respect all the different opinions on this but I have lived in Florida all my life and have seen the sun destroy many vinyl and rubber roofs. This is just my opinion.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Can you put the UV protector on the selfleveling caulk?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

What benefit is there to cleaning your roof?
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Here is a video. I followed this. You decide on the benefits. My benefit being a Floridian is that my roof will last longer and RV stays cleaner. I put it on the self leveling caulk also. I prefer to UV block anything I can.
http://youtu.be/zQ-dOWgIyvo
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

I'm old school when it comes to cleaning the roof, I use rain, and occasionally some snow, if it gets brushed, it's from the low trees in the campground

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

TommyBoy75: This looks like a Protect All ad. I think I am in Flyrotor's camp on this one!

I have a lot of oak leaves dropping on my trailer. No way the roof or the awning will stay totally clean.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Yes. I use 2" wide Eternabond and tape it about 1" on the rubber roof and let it overhang the siding about 1". If you properly clean the roof and wall and properly install Eternabond (it requires a roller for the pressure activated adhesive) then it will last longer than your rubber roof. The caulk requires periodic (up to 4 times a year depending upon whom you ask) inspection as it dries out and separates. Eternabond is rated for 20 years if installed correctly.

It won't help or prevent streaks though... that is the natural chalking of the rubber roof.
Can you explain the overhang part. Do you remove the trim thn tape it and install the side trim back around the Roof?
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

I assume you mean the piece of trim that covers the screws that hold the gutters in place and the top piece of siding. No, I didn't want to dump and water behind that piece of trim. The Eternabond is wrapped over the side of the roof and attached to the black plastic trim piece. I can still pop the trim out of the track from the bottom and access the screws if I need to though.