Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #1

Question cold weather

I have a new X213 which has an enclosed underbelly. What kind of temperatures can I still camp in? I know Jayco says not to go below 32. Here in Colorado that pretty much shuts down anything past September.

Thanks
superdave camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

The 32 degree warning is likely CYA from the corporate lawyers. The pipes beneath our Greyhawk are not enclosed at all and we've been out some nights when the temps dropped briefly into the upper 20s.

The danger point will vary depending on how exposed your pipes are, the minimum temp that night, wind speed, and most importantly, how long the temp stays below 32. Water pipes in a long night at 28 degrees in a strong wind might freeze whereas those same pipes at 28 degrees for two hours in no wind would likely be okay.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

I have camped and hunted for years in temps below 32 degrees. However, I went approximately 8 years between having a trailer. When we bought out new TT this past January I posed this same question on these forums to see what if any new suggestions there might be out there; and received surprisingly few answers here.
We live in Alaska, so like you camping in temps below 32, pretty much shuts down anything beyond September. Yet, because there are Moose and Caribou hunts that go on during some of the coldest months of the winter here, I still see a fair share of RVs out on the road during these months. So I drew on my own previous knowledge and experience and started asking around locally. Some things I have done, and tips I have found helpful.
There is heat trace available for your tanks. However, heat trace usually takes shore power or generator. If you find heat trace that will run on your TT's 12volt system, be aware, with the cold temps the batteries will drain fast. A generator is your friend.
With an enclosed underbelly its a pain in the a-- to get heat trace on the tanks.
We don't use the fresh water tank below 25 degrees.
We winterize and run RV antifreeze in our water lines and leave them that way.
I have two 35 gallon portable water barrels with a hand pump for pumping the water out, which I keep inside the TT.
I mix my black water and grey water chemicals with one gallon of RV antifreeze and pour into both the black and grey tanks. During a December hunt when temperatures fall around 12 to 20 below, as we utilize our toilet or sink, we mix a 50/50 RV antifreeze when we flush (we flush with a small bucket).
We wash dishes in a small tub in the sink and dump that water outside when we are done (obviously we use eco friendly dish soap).
During the day while we are out hunting, we utilize an extra 20pound propane bottle hooked up to a "little buddy" space heater and leave that on inside the center of the TT. At night we utilize the onboard heating system set at around 45 degrees.
We utilize a generator for a few hours every night to keep the batteries charged, if we are not at a place where we are plugged into shore power. When we have shore power we also keep a small ceramic space heater inside and leave that running on a low setting.

However, for just a regular camping trip, we have camped for a weekend in temps as low as 22 to 25 without issue. We utilize the trailers onboard heater and that usually keeps things thawed enough for use.

Be advised though, as soon as you are done with the camp trip, as you leave the campground (or whereever), open your low point drains and drain your lines. When you arrive back home or on your way home, get your lines blown out and winterized.

I hope this helps. I have hunted and camped for years in cold temps and even lived in my old 5er for almost two years. I have learned a few new things from fellow campers and hunters here. However, I also err on the side of caution but I utilize my RV all year. On my old Camping units, I was known to de-winterize and re-winterize several times a year. I will continue to do so.

Best of luck to you.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

Smile

Thanks for the info. It sounds pretty involved. I don't think my wife would be up to all of that given we are in our mid-sixties and rookies at this. I will check it out in depth though.

Thanks
superdave camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I have camped as low as 22 at night with no heated or enclosed underbelly, but it warmed up to well above freezing during the day. If the inside of the trailer is warm these things bleed heat. Would not want to try it though for an extended cold snap....I might also add that all the fresh water plumbing is inside on my unit except for the fresh water tank. Grey, black tanks and plumbing are also exposed.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

It sounds more involved than it really is. We are in our fifties, and my father and mother are closing in really fast on 80, and still do the same stuff with us in their Tango trailer. When we hunt together.
I realize I dumped a lot of information on you. Apologies.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Has anyone with the SLX series camped in cold? I ran my furnace to keep the 184BH from freezing inside until I got around to winterizing because we waited until November. I know the fresh tank is inside but not the waste ones.
dj-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

The enclosed underbelly does not insulate it. It just protects from the elements.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

We have camped in the fall with our 213 at just above freezing. We found that the mattress in the large slide got really cold fom underneath. I purchased three of those high density foam pads that backpackers use and put them under the mattress, it made a big difference and the bed stays much warmer.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote