Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Condensation

We have a new 2014 x23b. Love love love it! However, When we pack up there is compensation under both bunk mattresses. I've opened one corner of each bunk and I leave the bathroom vent open (usually with the fan on). One night we actually had condensation on the top and it dripped on us. Ideas on how to avoid/prevent this? It's starting to not smell fresh and new. 😟
Hubs, DW, 2 kids 2 camping pups
:campfire:
Sumerbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerbrez View Post
We have a new 2014 x23b. Love love love it! However, When we pack up there is compensation under both bunk mattresses. I've opened one corner of each bunk and I leave the bathroom vent open (usually with the fan on). One night we actually had condensation on the top and it dripped on us. Ideas on how to avoid/prevent this? It's starting to not smell fresh and new. 
Are you using your heater at night? I would avoid this especially if it is cold out...can't remember if the x23B is a hybrid....if so, make a cover out of reflectix that you can buy at Home Depot to cover the canvas to help insulate it. Ventilation is also key to reduce the condensation. I installed a MaxAirII vent cover on my TT vent so that I could leave it open with out rain getting in.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

I could have sworn I responded to this earlier, but my post is gone.

Anyway, this is what I did in my hybrid; worked very well:

A. Get a roll of Reflectix. Cut out panels to fit your windows on the tent ends. All 3, for each tent end. Might need a 2nd roll of Reflectix.
B. Get a set of PUGs (PopUpGizmos) to cover your canvas ends. PUGs help w/ condensation a great deal, and also help insulate the tent end tops.
C. Keep a corner of each tent end cracked open (make sure your Reflectix is cut to allow for the corner to be open).
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

I have had condensation under the mattress twice that I can remember, once noticed while packing up from camping and once when cleaning out the unit to up it away for the winter. As you stated I crack open one side window in each bunk end. But I only crack open the bathroom vent maybe ½ inch, not using the fan. This method has pretty much eliminated the condensation buildup for us. If you are cooking inside you may want to ensure you are using the stove vent to eliminate excess moisture while cooking. When it is cold out we have been using heated mattress pads (aftermarket). Typically we also use an electric heater to keep the place warm.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

We had a hybrid, not a Jayco and always had condensation under the mattress no matter what the temperature was. We tried all these suggestions and none worked, it was always damp under the mattress in the morning. We just started putting a microfibre blanket under the mattress so that it absorbed most of the moisture. We would then prop up the mattress every morning and turn the fan on to dry it out. It got to be a real pain and is why we got rid of our hybrid. The strange thing was my brother in-law had a hybrid as well, different make/model and they never had the same issue? We also camped in a tent trailer for years and never experienced this issue. I never did figure out why it was happening. I hope you have better luck.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

We get condensation on the inside of our canvas ends all the time. Usually it dries up as soon as it starts warming up outside so it's not a problem except on days when we are packing up, in which case I usually run a heater in each of the bed areas to dry it off. I have noticed that if I increase venting, by keeping some of the windows 'cracked' as well as opening the bathroom ceiling vent a bit, it will reduce or eliminate this. Only problem is my wife will wake up cold and close everything
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses!
Hubs, DW, 2 kids 2 camping pups
:campfire:
Sumerbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #8

In the 2.5 years we owned our 23B we never had an issue with condensation. Right after we bought it I installed the MaxxAir cover, bought PUG's (excellent product) and always left the bath vent full open (the bride would sometimes close it if weather was cold). We never used the furnace but kept the TT warm using a small 1500W space heater. All our camping has been in the sunny south and we've camped in all of our seasons (some folks claim there's only 2 here) with a wide variety of temperatures and humidity. I wonder if some units are more prone to condensation than others due to some manufacturing differences. I'd be surprised but it's odd that some do and some don't.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote