Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
Condensation problem

I just recently did a week long camping trip at Myrtle Beach in our 2015 Jayco 18 S RB. It was quite rainy and chilly outside. We ran a ceramic heater constantly which kept the enterior very comfortable. We had a pretty fair amount of water around the upper edges where the walls and ceiling met. Is this a common problem? Was this a condensation problem? I don't think we had leaking roof since the problem was throuhout the trailer. We had no windows or bathroom vents open, therefor there was no air circulation. This particular model trailer didn't come equipped with a vent fan. Is this something I should consider purchasing and installing. Our cold weather camping is very limited. Thanks for any advice!

krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Yes just condensation. I experienced the same issue while camping in Tofino bc on the Wild West coast of Vancouver Island. All the metal was wet and where my body touched and rested against the wall in my dinette/bed while sleeping got wet. It's the humidity and oceanic pressures so close to the ocean combined with cooler temps. Nothing to lose sleep over!

2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift SLX 184bh Baja
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo hers(mine)/tow vehicle
2001 Jeep TJ 60th anniversary edition number 769 his(mine)
2012 Mitsubishi Fuso canter fe160
Me, wife, girl, boy
Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
We had the same problem in the Smokies this thanksgiving. (we have a 154 that only has a gas furnace) We cracked our roof vents and that made a huge difference. However the trade-off was that our furnace ran more often. If you camp in the cold weather regularly, although limited, you may want to invest in a small dehumidifier. They really aren't that expensive for the smaller ones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some of the roof mounted a/c units also have a heater function that works like the defroster in a car? (By that I mean it still runs the compressor and dries the air)
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
You need one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
We Crack the roof vent about a 1/2 inch and crack one window on each end. Doing this has eliminated nearly all condensation.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
I'm in North Dakota now, using a dehumidifier. Hard to open windows when it's below zero haha.
2011 32bhds
TV 2002 Excursion 7.3 Few mods ;)

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some of the roof mounted a/c units also have a heater function that works like the defroster in a car? (By that I mean it still runs the compressor and dries the air)
The ones that have a heat strip installed would do that. The compressor would only run if it was the heat-pump unit.
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
if you install a roof fan it will just suck the hot air out.. (heat rises) just crack the roof vent a little bit you wont loose much heat but the humidity will have a place to go (outside)
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Here in south MS, it normally doesn't get terribley cold, but I crack the living room roof vent 1/2 to 1 inch, havent had any condensation issues yet. I also have the vent covers on the living room and bedroom vents, so unless there's a hurricane blowing outside rain comming in is not a problem.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2006 F250 XLT Xtra Cab Long Bed 6.0 Diesel
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
We've had our new 32BHDS parked on our driveway for the last two weeks for the kids during Christmas break. They've had several sleepovers with friends and our family has "camped" several times. Nights have been pretty cold so propane furnace has run almost nightly.

As a result, I noticed quite a bit of condensation on walls, windows and carpet. So much so that the first morning I was crawling around with a flashlight and towel wiping everything down. It's also been cold and rainy here in Austin so windows and roof vents have not been open (but did open it all up when we've had a couple of sunny breezy days).

As a result of this "field testing", we recently purchased a 30-pint GE dehumidifier and Lasko electric oscillating ceramic tower heater from Wal-Mart. Both of these items have made a big difference in comfort and reduced condensation. We'll also be adding the MaxxAir vent covers for sure which will allow us to crack the vents and improve air circulation.

2015 Jay Flight 32 BHDS (Elite, Technology, Thermal pkgs, 50-amp)
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab SRW 3.73
6.0L Upgraded Transmission Cooler
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote