Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Considering White Hawk 24MBH as first trailer. Thoughts?!

Hello!
New to forum today! We are actively researching travel trailers and are looking for a good option for two adults and two kids. We don't want anything huge to start, and are going to buy the appropriate tow vehicle once we choose our trailer. We like the idea of the bunks always being in "ready position" for our kids at any time of the day. We also like the idea of the Murphy Bed since it gives us the sofa space in the living room during the day. I would love your input!!!!
(1) is this a good size that won't size us out of most campgrounds?
(2) how about the Murphy bed setup. Is this a good option?
(3) pros and cons of going with this lightweight trailer versus heftier ones. Heat/cold or quality?
(4) what other models do you suggest of Jayco?

Thank you!!!
Erica
ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2

Welcome.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

We were looking at the same trailer but ended up buying a Jay Flight 28BHBE. There were a few reasons, mainly that the White Hawk's have a lower ceiling height and newer-style aluminum construction. Many of the White Hawks we looked at had structural issues and I prefer the aluminum siding over laminated walls.

The 28BHBE is bigger and heavier, but having the separate bedroom has paid off when the kids take a nap. It is a big trailer, but it has not kept us out of provincial parks and some relatively tight spots.

Another big issue is that the Jay Flights have relatively stout frames, the 28BHBE is rated for almost 3000# of cargo. We never load it up that heavy, but that means our frame, axles, and tires are well below the maximum rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!
New to forum today! We are actively researching travel trailers and are looking for a good option for two adults and two kids. We don't want anything huge to start, and are going to buy the appropriate tow vehicle once we choose our trailer. We like the idea of the bunks always being in "ready position" for our kids at any time of the day. We also like the idea of the Murphy Bed since it gives us the sofa space in the living room during the day. I would love your input!!!!
(3) pros and cons of going with this lightweight trailer versus heftier ones. Heat/cold or quality?

Thank you!!!
Erica
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

We have a 2015 White Hawk 20MRB. I am over 6 foot and the ceiling height is no problem.
I am unaware of any "structural issues". We have towed the trailer from Seattle to Ohio last year and to Las Cruces NM and back this summer.

The Murphy Bed makes the White Hawk seem bigger than 20 feet. It weighs under 6000 pounds, if it were loaded. We do like it a bunch and I do not think we would go back to a heavy stick and metal rig.

Make sure to get the Glacier Package!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

The 24MBH is my first camper. The MB is pretty cool, easy to take down and with a foam topper, fantastic to sleep on. My one and only complaint so far is indoor storage space. Check one out and try and imagine where you would put clothes for 4 people. I did a mod to the sofa and removed the armrests. I have also created a way to have three sliding storage bins underneath it for more storage. I'll post some pics if you would like...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

After a year of research we purchased our first TT and ended up purchasing a new Whitehawk 28DSBH. We have now owned this TT for 3 summers and have been coast to coast across Canada and upper US with it. The double over double bunks are great for the kids and allow lots of extra room for their "stuff". We looked at the Murphy bed units but the outside/inside storage was lacking so we went up in size to the 28DSBH. In our 3 seasons of camping we have had absolutely no structural issues nor have I heard of any with the Whitehawks. Jayco really stands behind their product and I will definitely purchase another one, just no time soon as we love our 28DSBH and plan on many more years of travel with it.
Good luck with your search.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!

Thank you!!!
Erica
We have a Jayco X213, it has the bunks up front and the King bed slide at the back. Once open, the couch is available as well as the dinette. The length inside is 21 ft and opened up, it is 21 ft. This trailer GVW is 5500 lbs. We have had it for 4 1/2 yrs now since new and it is a terrific trailer. It tows extremely well.

Murphy beds are great too , but you have to pack it up every day and set it down at night.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Sunflower Send a message via MSN to Sunflower
Ya and they are both 194 lbs, per foot,the White Hawk must really be built with inferior materials etc.Please list the structural problems that were apparent went you were looking at the White Hawk.
Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

The White Hawk interior height is 6.5' and the Jay Flight is 6.75', I am 6.3' tall and found the difference very noticeable. This is clearly not an issue for everyone, but not bumping my head on the smoke detector and antenna crank is a plus!

Regarding the "structural issues", as I mentioned in my original post, the all three of the White Hawk 23MBHs we looked at when we were shopping (Winter 2015) had interior structural issues (deformed framing around bathroom door, issues with the Murphy bed, soft spots in the floor). I am not claiming that this is a pervasive issue with them, just stating fact based upon my experience.

Finally, the White Hawks do have comparably less cargo capacity compared to the Jay Flights (and SLXs). This means smaller holding tanks and less of a safety margin when loading the trailer with your gear. Compare the White Hawk 28DSBH (1385#) to the Jay Flight 28BHBE (2750#), there is a 50% reduction in cargo capacity.

One must take all of these things in account during the purchasing process. I decided on the Jay Flight over the SLX and White Hawk, but I am not claiming that this was the correct decision for everyone, just for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
We have a 2015 White Hawk 20MRB. I am over 6 foot and the ceiling height is no problem.
I am unaware of any "structural issues". We have towed the trailer from Seattle to Ohio last year and to Las Cruces NM and back this summer.

The Murphy Bed makes the White Hawk seem bigger than 20 feet. It weighs under 6000 pounds, if it were loaded. We do like it a bunch and I do not think we would go back to a heavy stick and metal rig.

Make sure to get the Glacier Package!

Murff
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

I'm hesitating between a 2017 whitehawk 28 dsbh or an openrange ut2704bh...any thoughs about differences in quality, even though jayco owned openrange and both offer 2 years warranty...??
Wakeup26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #11

I'm not 6'3" but at 5'11" our new White Hawk is tall enough. Older White Hawks have some kind of sandwich flooring to keep the weight down but ours is solid plywood, and sturdy. We haven't even begun to fill all the storage in our 28DSBH. There is a large storage under the bunk and the forward pass-through is cavernous compared to our last TT... a Surveyor. To me the stick and tin days are over. The structure of the aluminum frame, block foam, and everything bonded together is far superior, both in strength and insulation quality... But then I'm an aircraft guy. My glider was built with that kind of structure.

We're just back from our second trip and we took our grand daughter along. The top bunk is hers, and hers alone... If you don't believe it, just ask her!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

With the Murphy Bed, you do sacrifice the front pass-thru storage.

Murff
(Related to Murphy's Law but not the Murphy Bed)

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote