Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
Picked up and installed a new detector and all seems fine now. I am really hoping it was just a faulty detector and not a problem with my converter. Heading out the next two weekends, really hoping for trouble free trips for a change.
Have you tested the 12 volt system voltage while connected to 120 volt shore power as was suggested earlier? As was said, you should see around 13.5 VDC, or at least around 13 VDC while your trailer built in 120 volt AC powered 12 volt power supply/charger feeds the system.

The propane detector is powered by 12 VDC. All modern propane detectors have a low voltage monitor which will cause the detector to chirp when the battery/system power is low. When we picked up our 2001 23b the propane detector was chirping. To their credit, the dealer replaced the detector saying that they didn't want to take any chances. Since that time I needed to replace the battery because tests indicated that it was beyond any useful life. (Maybe the propane detector was cheaper for them than replacing the battery???) I think that our propane detector was fine and the battery low voltage was the real problem.

Anyway, turn on all your interior lights, get a meter, and check the actual voltage on your 12 volt DC system before you get stuck with a problem at a campsite. vic

Double Secret Probation
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Converter and Propane Detector problems

Thanks Vic. No I haven't. But the battery meter is still reading full after two weeks. I do have a disconnect on the battery, and it's not even a year old. I know that doesn't matter always but I am ruling it out for now. I will check it before the weekend just to be sure. Thanks.

2012 Toyota 4-Runner SR5
2012 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite 228

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote