Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

Dicor lap sealant

Yesterday I replaced the roof vent in our bathroom (another post). I sealed the flange with butyl tape and screwed it onto to the roof. I then sealed the screw heads and also ran 2 beads of the dicor self leveling lap sealant around the flange. This morning I checked to make sure it cured properly. It's been about 24 hrs since I put it on, it does have a very thick skin but isn't cured through yet. I found online it can take up to 30 days to cure 100%.

What really got my attention is the rubber roof membrane is rippling under the sealant....picture attached. This dicor sealant is what my dealer recommended that I use. Is there a chemical reaction happening that is going to compromise the integrity of the roof? Has anyone else experienced this?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Looks to me like you did a good job.

I see the slight amount of wrinkling, which I bet goes away after the caulking completely cures; I have noticed this wrinkling in some of the jobs I have on my trailer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Let us know if it settles down over time.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Well, since Saturday the dicor has cured about 60%. It is still spongy. The ripples did settle down somewhat but, the dicor curing retained some of the ripples. As an added measure I purchased a 25ft x4" roll of Eternabond and covered it all up. It looks great.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

Hi Camping Couple, I was wondering how things were now for the roof sealant ? I have had to patch a spot on my roof and used the Dicor lap sealant and Dicor patch recommended by the dealer and it is rippling around the edges of the patch and causing it not to seal good as well as causing the patch to lift on the edges.

Any ideas as to why the lap sealant is reacting like this? Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

I would suggest you either get Eternabond tape large enough to cover the hole or you buy Liquid EPDM (assuming EPDM roof here...) and patch that way.

Eternabond tape is GREAT stuff if you clean the roof right and apply it the correct way with a roller. Lots of people use it to cover roof seams and the general consensus is that the Eternabond will last longer than your RV.

Liquid EPDM is literally a brush/roll on EPDM rubber. Again, you have to clean the surrounding roof prior to install, but it adheres to itself and a cured EPDM rubber roof and creates a seamless roof, not a "patch".

I have done both on my current roof, both work EXCELLENT. Liquid EPDM will literally make the patch disappear, as it is literally a seamless patch.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
Hi Camping Couple, I was wondering how things were now for the roof sealant ? I have had to patch a spot on my roof and used the Dicor lap sealant and Dicor patch recommended by the dealer and it is rippling around the edges of the patch and causing it not to seal good as well as causing the patch to lift on the edges.

Any ideas as to why the lap sealant is reacting like this? Thanks
Well I still haven't heard from anyone why the Dicor is rippling. I let the Dicor cure for about a week and it was still not cured 100%. It did seal up and the ripples did settle down eventually. As added protection (so I could sleep at night) I put down 3" wide Eternabond over the Dicor. FYI, I did a search on the Dicor cure times and found it will take up to 30 days to cure 100%.

If you do use the Eternabond, as others have said, make sure you clean the area really well. I used Eternaclean in the aerosol can. I bought a wallpaper seam roller and rolled the edges of the tape really well. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
After checking some other threads and checking my owners info my 2013 Jayflight has a Alpha ply membrane and will require a special lap sealant from Alpha systems because the Dicor product is not compatible with the new roof membrane that Jayco is using.

So I will call my dealer and see if they have this new sealant and or the eternabond.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
After checking some other threads and checking my owners info my 2013 Jayflight has a Alpha ply membrane and will require a special lap sealant from Alpha systems because the Dicor product is not compatible with the new roof membrane that Jayco is using.

So I will call my dealer and see if they have this new sealant and or the eternabond.

I missed it, I also looked in my manual as well. It's too late for me. I'll leave mine as is. I'm sure the Eternabond. Will hold up fine for me.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Site Team

I got to read up on that new roof material or quit talking about it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I called the dealer this morning and ended up taking the trailer to them this afternoon so they could check it .