Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Do you grease your TRAILER ball?
yes 85 72.03%
no 33 27.97%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

Difficulty un-hitching ''Poll added''

Just bought a WhiteHawk 21FBS. When unlocked, the hitch does not retract all of the way around. The front part is stationary. It seemed that the ball was sort of wedged in that front part and even though I set it on the ground and tried to move the vehicle back enough inside the hitch to loosen it, it would not drop. Had to get another person to do the release while I had the car in reverse and it finally released. I'm hoping I simply didn't have the release all of the way back and that at my next stop, this does not happen. But I'm wondering if others have had this issue?
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Sometimes they can stick based on how your TV and trailer are positioned when you stop. I raise the tongue and watch the angle. Once I am up to where I think it should drop out I stand on the truck bumper and most often it releases.

The angle of the ball is most likely your issue. It should be angled slightly to the trailer hitch. Check your hitch instructions and then look at how you are setup and see if your hitch is not to the instructions.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Many of us have had this issue from time to time. I unhook a different way which I learned by watching quite a few others. I raise the tongue with the jack and release the tension on the spring bars but leave them in place with the chains hooked up on the last link and then pull the pin on the ball hitch. I then lower the tongue until there is no tension on the ball and drive out leaving the hitch behind still hooked to the trailer. I leave it this way until the next time I hook up. I have found this to be by far the easiest and fastest way and leaving the hitch hooked up to the trailer keeps it out of the way and ready for the next use. I put a locking draw pin in the hitch to keep it secure when not in use and I also keep a pad lock on the hitch itself.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

This happens from time to time. Usually a bounce on the TV bumper and it will uncouple. I had a bad case of unhooking last year. The TT was on the level and the front drivers wheel was down in a ditch. I could not release to save my soul, we had three of use working on it.

One other thing not mentioned, which helps with hitch noise and general friction, is to ensure you grease the ball. I use a good bearing grease, I just slather on a lot to the ball, and I replace it at maximum of every 1500 miles. I can tell a difference at that point in hitch noise. Sometimes I wipe the grease off after every trip, but often I just place a 16 oz (I think) Solo cup on ball, and it fits on perfectly. When the cup cracks I replace it with another.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
snip... It seemed that the ball was sort of wedged in that front part and even though I set it on the ground and tried to move the vehicle back enough inside the hitch to loosen it, it would not drop. Had to get another person to do the release while I had the car in reverse and it finally released. I'm hoping I simply didn't have the release all of the way back and that at my next stop, this does not happen. But I'm wondering if others have had this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Sometimes they can stick based on how your TV and trailer are positioned when you stop. I raise the tongue and watch the angle. Once I am up to where I think it should drop out I stand on the truck bumper and most often it releases.

The angle of the ball is most likely your issue. ...snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Many of us have had this issue from time to time. I unhook a different way which I learned by watching quite a few others. I raise the tongue with the jack and release the tension on the spring bars but leave them in place with the chains hooked up on the last link and then pull the pin on the ball hitch. I then lower the tongue until there is no tension on the ball and drive out leaving the hitch behind still hooked to the trailer. I leave it this way until the next time I hook up. I have found this to be by far the easiest and fastest way and leaving the hitch hooked up to the trailer keeps it out of the way and ready for the next use. I put a locking draw pin in the hitch to keep it secure when not in use and I also keep a pad lock on the hitch itself.
What they said... but I've never tried the method wwsmith111 describes because I could NOT leave my hitch head with the trailer.

I usually did not have problem when unhitching when delivering trailers. My normal procedure, after positioning the trailer, was to put the truck in park, block the trailer tires to keep it from rolling, disconnect the trailer plug, disconnect the breakaway cable, crank the A-frame jack to raise the front of the trailer to unload the WDH bars, remove the WDH bars, lower the front of the trailer, unlatch the hitch ball latch, and, while lowering the front of the trailer, wiggle the A-frame jack from side to side to rock the trailer coupler from side to side.

If/when the tongue weight became fully on the trailer ball, check to be sure the ball latch is and stays fully unlatched, then begin raising the front of the trailer again while constantly wiggling the trailer coupler from side to side using the front jack. USUALLY this would do it. Even if the ball stuck a bit, the shaking would relieve any binding. Occasionally, when that didn't work, I'd have to put the truck in neutral to relieve pressure on the ball then use the truck parking brake to hold the truck in that position.

BTW, I left the safety chains attached until I was ready to move the truck. It's real thrill when the trailer rolls a bit unexpectedly!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

X2, I ALWAYS chock the wheels first. ALWAYS!!! Un-chocking them is also the last thing I do when hooking up.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
X2, I ALWAYS chock the wheels first. ALWAYS!!! Un-chocking them is also the last thing I do when hooking up.
+1

I also make sure my hitch ball and the coupler lock are well lubricated. I use an all-purpose marine grease. It tends to be a bit stickier, so it lasts a bit longer. Since I've done that, I've had no issues coupling or un-coupling my trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Interesting. I've been towing TTs since the early 80's and I have never greased the tow ball and I have noticed no ill effect. Sounds like a good subject for a poll!
On topic, my last trailer was a bear to get un-hitched more often than not. Occasionally it would come right off but most of the time it would take rocking the trailer or the hitch or jumping on the TV bumper. It was very frustrating so I feel your pain.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Interesting. I've been towing TTs since the early 80's and I have never greased the tow ball and I have noticed no ill effect. Sounds like a good subject for a poll!On topic, my last trailer was a bear to get un-hitched more often than not. Occasionally it would come right off but most of the time it would take rocking the trailer or the hitch or jumping on the TV bumper. It was very frustrating so I feel your pain.
Ask and you shall rec.
Poll at the top of this thread.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #10

Also check the air pressure in your ball...oh, wait...that's football

I do grease my ball. Don't have much trouble getting unhitched. I just lift the trailer till it comes off.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #11

Greasy balls make for easier uncoupling. I grease mine liberally.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

x2 on the grease. Besides, it is one of the steps in my weight distribution hitch manual - to grease it every trip. I find my rig makes a whole lot less noise especially when turning with a little grease on the ball and the spring bars (mine have grease fittings). This is from page four of the Eaz-lift manual:
"MAINTENANCE: Use heavy lubrication such as fiber
type wheel bearing grease on hitch ball and on spring bars.
Recommended every day. Keep hitch painted to prevent rust
and check tightness of bolts regularly. Clean out old grease, do
not let it harden inside of the Ball Mount."
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Grease mine also, it has helped to release the Tongue.
With Practice it does get easier to 'Center' the hitch ball so tongue lifts straight up without binding.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Greasy balls make for easier uncoupling. I grease mine liberally.
Are we talking about hitch balls?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Interesting. I've been towing TTs since the early 80's and I have never greased the tow ball and I have noticed no ill effect. Sounds like a good subject for a poll!
On topic, my last trailer was a bear to get un-hitched more often than not. Occasionally it would come right off but most of the time it would take rocking the trailer or the hitch or jumping on the TV bumper. It was very frustrating so I feel your pain.
So, I don't know, just spitballing here, but don't you think greasing your ball would result in an easier time hitching and unhitching? You mention that you've never had difficulty, then you talk about your difficulties.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #16

I use the wax paper method, No grease to get on my clothes.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #17

OMG! You guys are quick. I'm going to leave this email notification on my phone and pull up this strand and just go thru these trying one after the other if this happens again. The trailer is new and the rv dealer did have to replace my ball so when I got the first posting, it made sense so I called the dealer (I stayed in the area for a couple of days; didn't buy it close to home) and am going by the dealer on my way leaving the area and just see if it drops. If not, get them to double check stuff. I didn't have grease on the ball and I usually do that but brought it straight from dealer. I had a 3000 lb TT before and could sort of move it if needed but this one is too heavy. (I'm old, short, and though I think I weigh a lot, jumping on the bumper makes no impact now) This is really helpful and certainly lots of suggestions I didn't know about.
When I left the Forest River forums and bought Jayco, I was worried about not having quick access to solutions if I ran into problems on the road but I can certainly see that I can find help here! Thanks!!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post

The angle of the ball is most likely your issue. It should be angled slightly to the trailer hitch. Check your hitch instructions and then look at how you are setup and see if your hitch is not to the instructions.
What he said.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #19
Site Team

I needed some parts for my rig and they were ordered by my dealer in mid Nov of last year. The last of them trickled in from various suppliers on Jan 16, 2015. The repair work was done in 1 1/2 days.

No one was doing a whole lot of rushing over the holidays. I thinks as someone also stated that site is just a dealer providing online parts ordering, not a Jayco expedited operation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
What he said.
My instructions say tilt the ball at a 6 to 12 degree angle towards the TT.