Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

First Travel Trailer

Just started looking at travel trailers and I like the 2015 White Hawk 28DSBH. My wife likes the passport Ullta Light 3220BH floor plan better. The next jayco model would be a 31DSLB and I am concerned that it is too boig for the truck to tow. Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Silverado Z71 with tow package. We have two kids in our family. Any one have these Jayco models that could chime in?
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #2

I looked for a long time at the 28DSBH and other models similar to it. I also looked at the Passport model that has the same layout as the Jayco (don't remember the model #). I don't believe that the Passport is made nearly as well as the Jayco. And, if you look at the amount of storage space, Jayco wins hands down. The only Keystone line that I thought beat the Jayco was the Laredo line. But, to get a similar floor plan in the Laredo, it was getting a little too long and a little too heavy for my comfort zone. The problem I had was that the White Hawk had an interior that looked dated compared to other manufacturers. If you can get past that, get a Jayco. You won't be disappointed.
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
I looked for a long time at the 28DSBH and other models similar to it. I also looked at the Passport model that has the same layout as the Jayco (don't remember the model #). I don't believe that the Passport is made nearly as well as the Jayco. And, if you look at the amount of storage space, Jayco wins hands down. The only Keystone line that I thought beat the Jayco was the Laredo line. But, to get a similar floor plan in the Laredo, it was getting a little too long and a little too heavy for my comfort zone. The problem I had was that the White Hawk had an interior that looked dated compared to other manufacturers. If you can get past that, get a Jayco. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks, what model Jayco did you end up getting?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

I'm sure some 28DSBH members will chime in shortly because the 28DSBH is a popular TT. Below are a couple JOF threads on the 28DSBH that may be helpful in respect to your weight curiosity.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...=28dsbh&page=2

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ghlight=28dsbh

I haven't heard much on the 31DLSB, but looks like a nice floor plan for a family as well, just a little bit heavier/longer then the 28DSBH.

Since this is your first TT, one thing to keep in mind is that a TT's "loaded" tongue will be weight is supported by your Silverado, so it is subtracted from the play load capacity, some RV dealers may fail to mention this. If you want to reduce the guess work, run your Silverado across a CAT scale under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) and weigh it..., simple process about $9. Subtract the CAT weight from the GVWR noted on your Silverado's driver's door, the remaining weight is the "available" payload capacity for a TT's loaded tongue weight and the weight of a 50lb WDH.

Also, when looking at new TT's the manufacture's UVW weights noted on web sites and brochures doesn't represent the actual ship weight, add another 400lbs (approximate) for the TT's in the 28ft range. The actual ship weights will be noted on a yellow sticker located on the outside of a TT.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #5

Welcome!

I don't know what the specs on your truck are, but my guess is that you'll be okay, though probably near capacity. We have the White Hawk 29REKS which lists as quite a bit heavier than what you're looking at, but it tows just fine and well within the limits, of my Tundra. That said, I don't push it hard, but IMHO there's no need to.

The information that Rustic Eagle posted above is a great resource...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Practice, practice, practice!!! Your TV will do fine unless you plan on climbing mountains but for the occasional family vacation and for trips to medium range, just pay attention to what you load and how you load, keep speed at 60 max, and think before you pull into a fuel stop or turn off a main road.

As a newbie to TT's, over all length is something you'll have to get use to. Your TT/TV combo will stretch you out and the TT doesn't follow in the tracks of the TV when you turn. Thats were the practice is important. It's a mine field out there when you pull off the highway and when you pull into a CG or gas station. Those big yellow metal poles that guard the pump islands will rip the sides off your TT if you aren't careful.

Last comment, also since its your first TT, is Bigger is not always better. Make a list of the important features you are looking for and note the way you and family will use the RV 90% of the time. Don't buy for the occasional passengers who might someday come with you. You will be towing that extra length / weight every mile you tow.

Enjoy
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

crtc,
In the end I chose the X23B hybrid. Hybrids were what I originally started looking at before I got astray by all the bigger models. Plus, like you, I was worried about the payload of my truck being too tight with the 28DSBH. For me it was a personal choice to err on the side of caution. I didn't want my first time towing a trailer to be a negative one. Good luck with your choice!
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #8

We purchashed the 28DSBH and love it. We love the storage that it has like the extra pantry and the large pass through storage in the front. The other feature that I wanted was the deep slide which makes such a huge difference in floor space especially with a large dog or with everyone inside on a rainey day. Not much that we don't like about it other than the matress, a little stiff to our liking but was easily solved with a memory foam topper.

I pull it with a 2013 F150 and it pulls it with out any issue, don't get me wrong you know it's there but with the WDH set up it pulls without a problem. We have put about 3000 miles on it this year.

Good luck in your choice.

Dan
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #9

The truck shouldn't hafve any issues pulling the 28 across the county. Mountains will be slow but manageable. We have pulled 7k and 9k with no problems 7k on the high way at 70mph is smooth. The truck has also pulled the dozer around which weighs in at 12k. My truck is rated 9100lbs tow and 14k gross with the hd tow package.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

The jay flight 28bhbe also looks like a option. Looks like a little bigger shower.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Just purchased a 2015 28 DSBH with artic package. Only thing it didn't have was the larger 15k air conditioner.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #12

That's a great floor plan. Congratulations and welcome to the Jayco family.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote