Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

First Trip in our Whitehawk 28DSBH

Six nights over memorial day in Montauk, NY. Weather was less than cooperative with cold, rain and high winds. We certainly put the trailer through a workout for a first trip. 6 volt batteries handle the load of heater and lighting (all LED) and radio without a hiccup. All I can say is the trailer was great out of the box. Not a single issue (knock on wood). Next trip is jull hookups so we can use the AC and the electric water heater option.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #2

Congratulations, and glad to hear everything worked flawlessly. Thus far, we have had no issues with our TT, either, knock on wood!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

Congrats on your first trip. Glad to hear it went smooth. A friend told me once to check your plumbing every once and awhile as the bouncing around can losen your traps etc under your sinks. Glad he told me that. Saved a flood in our kithchen.

Enjoy your new trailer.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

Glad you had a good first trip. Seem to be a lot of happy White Hawk owners here!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

We are picking up our new 2013 28dsbh the end of June, and will be camping the trip back home with it. It's great to hear you had no problems on the first trip. We will be full service for this first trip, so *fingers crossed* all will go well! Especially considering it's MY first time camping!
Chicken-little76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken-little76 View Post
...Especially considering it's MY first time camping!
Colton RV in Tonawanda, NY offers a free night stay on their property for anyone who buys a rig from them. It's a really nice feature. Especially for those new to camping. Of course they also have an RV do-dads store which I'm certain benefits by sales to anyone staying overnight.

Anyway, check to see if your dealer has such an offer. It might make your first night a bit more enjoyable as you can buy on site what you may not have to be comfortable. Good luck. vic
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #7

Free camping is always good..
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Six nights over memorial day in Montauk, NY. Weather was less than cooperative with cold, rain and high winds. We certainly put the trailer through a workout for a first trip. 6 volt batteries handle the load of heater and lighting (all LED) and radio without a hiccup. All I can say is the trailer was great out of the box. Not a single issue (knock on wood). Next trip is jull hookups so we can use the AC and the electric water heater option.
Hither Hills or Teddy Roosevelt? Where's the next trip with full hookups? Did you buy at WES?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Hither Hills or Teddy Roosevelt? Where's the next trip with full hookups? Did you buy at WES?
We bought from WES. No issues. Great customer service. We camped Hither Hills. Two more trips there this year. Heading to Rhode Island in July with full hookups. Looking forward to that one.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
Congrats on your first trip. Glad to hear it went smooth. A friend told me once to check your plumbing every once and awhile as the bouncing around can losen your traps etc under your sinks. Glad he told me that. Saved a flood in our kithchen.

Enjoy your new trailer.
This is truly valuable advise, endorsed by someone who has spent some quality time on his knees in the trailer's kitchen with a towel. I now check mine religiously!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #11

I learned the plumbing issue with the last hybrid. As the wife was doing some dishes I heard the infamous "you might want to come take a look at this". Needless to say the drain separated. Ever since I check regularly. Thanks for the suggestion BlueHaul.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Johnny5, how did the Av do with the 28dsbh?

I have a 2011 Av and I'm considering a 28dsbh as well. As far as I can tell, the 6000lb TT with modest cargo and the family will only be 1000lb less than the 14000lb gcvw. Thanks.
Andy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #13

When we picked it up I had 3.73 gears with the heavy duty tow package. It towed fine empty. Right after delivery I had the gears changed to 4.10's. The Avalanche pulled just fine. I thought the 800 lb Trunnion bars on my Reese Straight line were a bit light. I just purchased the 1200lb bars and will make the adjustments next weekend. The truck handled the weight just fine. Tranny temps never went over 175. I don't think I'd want to tow through the mountains but here in the Northeast it's fairly flat. This is as big a trailer as I would tow with the Avalanche. I am careful about packing it up and agree loaded with the family there's probably a 1000lb margin. Most of our towing is 70 miles or less out to the end of L.I.