Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Flat pitch carefree awning

I learned something new this weekend at the RV Rally this weekend in Phoenix. I stopped by the carefree awning site and was talking to their rep about my flat pitch non-adjustable awning. I began telling him that it's not an auto dump, which I told him I wish I had. He stated that all flat pitch non-adjustable awnings had the auto-dump feature?? He said to test it, grab the awning at the edge, in the middle (while it's out) and pull on it in a downward motion, he said one of the arms will give away (go down) and then when I let go, it will bounce back up into it's original place. I kind of looked at him in disbelief so he gave me his card and said to try it, If anything happened to the awning while doing it he would replace it for free. Has anyone with a non adjustable flat pitch tried this and if so what was the result?

I also told him I wanted to use some tie-downs on the corners to keep it more rigid and he said absolutely not, don't do it.

What do you guys think??
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

I would test the awning and see what happens. If you tie down the corner it may interfere with the self dump feature.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

How about posting the rep. from Carefree's name on this site? That way if any of us try it we will have a contact if it doesn't work. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

If it has some black struts it will auto dump. If you have had an electric awning out in a good wind you will see why they don't suggest tying it down.

I helped a guy with bent up arms when he had an electric awning tied down. Most of the metal parts were bent beyond repair and had to be replaced.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozemanite View Post
How about posting the rep. from Carefree's name on this site? That way if any of us try it we will have a contact if it doesn't work. Just a thought.
That's a good idea, although I would hate to throw his name out there without his consent.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If it has some black struts it will auto dump. If you have had an electric awning out in a good wind you will see why they don't suggest tying it down.

I helped a guy with bent up arms when he had an electric awning tied down. Most of the metal parts were bent beyond repair and had to be replaced.
I do have the stuts on my awning, I will try when I get it back form service and post the results.

Without the tie-downs, will the awning pretty much just buckle over the roof in the eye of a wind storm?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

I dont know if I would like the auto dump feature or not. I know exactly what it would do with me walking underneath it carrying a plate full of eggs and bacon with gravy in one hand and my good fresh made bean coffee in the other hand...

I think I will continue to use the slight tilting of one side to allow the water to run-off naturally. At least I would know where the water run-off is going to. It could be the newer model awmings dont allow this feature of tilting the awning to one side or the other.

We old dogs get used to doing things one way and hard to change to the newer ideas coming out on the market. Even when the new ideas are the greatest thing yet...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

RoyBraddy,

Personally, I don't really like our flat pitch roof, I would rather have an adjustable awning to control not only the water run-off, but also the amount of shade we could use.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
I do have the stuts on my awning, I will try when I get it back form service and post the results.

Without the tie-downs, will the awning pretty much just buckle over the roof in the eye of a wind storm?
Yes, on ours the arms will come up and the awning will soar above the trailer roof. Looks scarry.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
That's a good idea, although I would hate to throw his name out there without his consent.
Good point. Maybe if it doesn't work and you need to contact him you could get his permission to post his name. Then again, if it doesn't work, he may not want to hear from the rest of us. . I will try it when we go out in a couple of weeks. Probably won't be raining, but I can sort of visualize how it would work. Thanks for bringing this up. So far I haven't had any problems, but better to know what to do if I have one.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #11

I have the flat pitch product. At last years Rally in Redmond, Ore. We had our awning out during one of the days it rained. The feature works as advertised, just don't be under the arms when the weight of the rain water on the fabric causes the strut to compres and relieve the water on the awning. It brings a whole new meaning to "raining on your parade" !!!!!!!!!!!!!
STELLARJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #12

my carefree

The other day, my adjustable just buckled on one side. Barely any breeze and everyone at the campground had their awning out. It was really embarrassing. We bought the jayco in February and can't believe how this could happen so soon. The day was so beautiful. Our local dealer wants to look at it to see if it's possibly warranty. I took pictures of after the fact as I had to straighten it so it would be road worthy. I hope it will be warranty. I am afraid to consider using this carefree awning when there is any hint in air movement or rain. Thoughts???
MikeeDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote