Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Need some help please. We are newbies and are taking out our Whitehawk 27DSRL for the first time by ourselves(stayed in dealer campground 2 nights when we got it April 22nd). We were only able to get an electric site at a state park 15 min from home. We are going to fill our fresh water tank when we get to the park as we have to keep our trailer at a storage facility. I have looked in the manual but it is not real clear as to where the valves are to make sure that I am filling the fresh water tank(I know where I hook up the hose on the outside inlet) and that the drain is closed so as not to have it draining out. Would it be possible for any of you good folks to make that process clear to us so we are not holding up people at the fresh water spigot when we get to the park. Thank you all so much for your help!
Mmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

On our 195RB there is a separate location for filling the fresh water tank, so no need to play with any valves.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmitch View Post
Need some help please. We are newbies and are taking out our Whitehawk 27DSRL for the first time by ourselves(stayed in dealer campground 2 nights when we got it April 22nd). We were only able to get an electric site at a state park 15 min from home. We are going to fill our fresh water tank when we get to the park as we have to keep our trailer at a storage facility. I have looked in the manual but it is not real clear as to where the valves are to make sure that I am filling the fresh water tank(I know where I hook up the hose on the outside inlet) and that the drain is closed so as not to have it draining out. Would it be possible for any of you good folks to make that process clear to us so we are not holding up people at the fresh water spigot when we get to the park. Thank you all so much for your help!
On my trailer there is a black cap that covers the fresh water fill. It is on the curb side on mine. Remove the cap, insert a hose, fill will water at a reasonable rate. Examine the valve between the water pump and the tank, make sure it is turned on (lined up) with the flow of water.
That is it, nothing else to do.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmitch View Post
snip... I have looked in the manual but it is not real clear as to where the valves are to make sure that I am filling the fresh water tank(I know where I hook up the hose on the outside inlet) and that the drain is closed so as not to have it draining out. ...snip
Only on the 'high end' units do they have valving to fill the FW tanks from the 'city water' connection.

On our Jay Flight....
On the left or 'street side' of the trailer is a connection labeled 'city water.' It has 'garden hose' type threads that connect your hose. It supplies pressurized water to the faucets etc. inside the trailer.

On the right side, there is a removable cap (with a screen next to that cap) that has a 'warning' sign to use potable water only. This connector does not have threads that connect to your water hose and is where your fresh water (FW) tanks are filled. You should NOT put something tight-fitting into this filler to be sure the FW tank does not become pressurized when filling.

With water in the FW tank, turn on your water pump and try the faucets. All should be well. If not, there are valves near the water pump that are used when putting RV antifreeze into the FW system.

BE SURE your water heater is full of water before turning that on!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

I own the same trailer. Assuming your HW tank valves are not in bypass mode (if you used it at the dealer's campground and had hot water, they are probably in the correct configuration), there are no valves to open or close to fill the fresh water tank. Make sure the freshwater tank low point drain is closed. Its on the other side of the trailer from the fresh water tank fill port. (I didn't the first time I filled my tank...) Here are the instructions (edited) from our owner's manual which I follow when filling the fresh water tank:
"Using the Gravity Water Fill:
Low point & fresh water tank drains should be closed.
1. Remove the connection cap and insert a non-toxic drinking water hose (or a funnel) into the Gravity Fill inlet.
2. Pour the fresh water into the Gravity Fill until the tank is full.
3. Open both the hot and cold water faucets, along with outside shower faucets (if so equipped) when filling the fresh water tank to allow air pockets to be forced out of
the system.
4. When the fresh water tank on the RV is full, remove the non-toxic drinking hose and replace the connection cap. This cap should always be installed if the water fill is not in use."
I fill the fresh water tank until water starts coming out the fresh water tank overflow hose. (White hose which exits the bottom of trailer right beneath the fresh water fill port.)
Then close all the faucets, turn on the water pump switch and go around opening each faucet to bleed out all the air in the lines and then closing when water runs smooth. When you open a hot water faucet, the HW tank will start to fill so it will take a while to fill the tank (6 gal. HW tank) before water starts coming out a hot water spigot. After you have water in all your lines, put more freshwater in your freshwater tank because you've just emptied it by about 7 gallons to fill all the lines and the HW tank. Make sure all spigots and low point drains are closed and no leaks. Done!

FYI, using my faucet at home, it takes approximately 7-8 minutes for my freshwater tank to fill before water starts coming out the overflow hose.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks so much! This is what I read in the manual but I was afraid there was something I needed to do under the sink, but from what you had said I should not have to close any valves there. I need to make sure the fresh water low point drain is closed as that has me worried as I am not sure we closed it after we drained the fresh water tank after the PDI. Is there a certain way it should be turned or just like turning off a faucet, righty,tighty? That was my big fear that I would stop at potable faucet at campground and not have my drain closed only to find I had lost a lot of fresh water getting over to campsite!
Mmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

I actually forget if all the way to the right is closed or all the way to the left. Try it to the right and check it as you begin to fill. It will be obvious pretty quickly if it's open.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

FW tank overflow question

WyEm, (newbie here) I sent you a message concerning the 2016 DSRL FW tank overflow line location. I will ask again here in case it doesn't make it to you.

We just filled (overfilled) our freshwater tank. All the while thinking I would see some overflow from somewhere unfortunately it started coming from under the trailer and filled the black insulation in the area of the holding tank. I cut a slit and let all the extra water out. I still don't see the dang over flow line. Either it's not installed or it's on top of the under-cover of the trailer. Could you please post a pic of yours or reply to my personal message so I can know for certain I am not going crazy. Thanks in advance!!!
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
WyEm, (newbie here) I sent you a message concerning the 2016 DSRL FW tank overflow line location. I will ask again here in case it doesn't make it to you.

We just filled (overfilled) our freshwater tank. All the while thinking I would see some overflow from somewhere unfortunately it started coming from under the trailer and filled the black insulation in the area of the holding tank. I cut a slit and let all the extra water out. I still don't see the dang over flow line. Either it's not installed or it's on top of the under-cover of the trailer. Could you please post a pic of yours or reply to my personal message so I can know for certain I am not going crazy. Thanks in advance!!!
Did you figure this one out yet? The overflow should extend through the underbelly covering. You do not want water getting trapped anywhere!

If the overflow doesn't stick through your underbelly, yo have a warranty issue to work out.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #10

Thankfully someone sent me pics of theirs. I contacted the dealer and they are resolving the issue. Not sure yet if they didn't drop it thru or if it wasn't even installed. Will know soon.
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

Could you please post pictures that you received? We just bought a 2017 used and sounds like our problem! If you over fill the tank will it cause the black insulation to get wet?
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote