Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #1

From PU to x213. A few questions...

We just took delivery of our new 2015 x213 and now I have a few questions, that I forgot to ask during our walk through. Hopefully some of you guys can help us out or point us in the right direction.

First off, a little introduction/background. The x213 will be our third camper. The first two were pop-ups and it didn't take long before we realized that the PU would not be a great fit for the type of camping we wanted to do as our kids get older. We looked around for a couple years and finally decided on the x213. Our TV is a 2008 Toyota tundra 5.7L 4X4.

Question #1)
Do I need a Weight distribution /anti-sway system on the new rig? And if so, any suggestions? Towing is part of my job, mostly construction materials and equipment. I am very comfortable with most trailers, but was surprised at the amount of movement I had while towing x213 home from the dealership. Do the anti-sway kits really make that big of a difference? Also do they stay connected to the trailer all the time or is this something I will have to completely unhook every time we go camping?

#2)
When we got home I attempted to extend the slide out just on the battery so I could see if this was an option when we are "off the grid". We only got about 80% out before it didn't have enough juice to continue. My walk thru guy said the battery was fully charged, but I didn't check it myself. Is the slide out motor to much draw for the single battery? If so, any tips for setting up camp with out shore power? More batteries? Just go manual? Sorry I don't have the specs on the battery but could get them if it would help?

#3)
Does anyone know if you can sleep on the king bed while it is retracted? We plan on doing some long trips, where it might be nice to just pull into a KOA late, hop in the trailer, sleep, and then get a quick start in the AM with out "breaking down camp".

I've looked for a customer service number for Jayco, but could not find anything on the website. Anyone have a contact number?

Well, those are the biggies, but I'm sure I will come up with some more as the days go on.

Thanks for any and all help!!

2015 Jayco x213
Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4
ATx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the site.

1. I would go with a quality WD system with integrated sway control for peace of mind, safety, and likely a better towing experience. It should also be noted that many receivers are not rated to tow a trailer above a certain tongue weight or gross weight without a WD system. Not sure what the Tundra hitch is rated for. I also do a lot of other towing (boats, utility trailers etc.), but these TT`s seem to behave a bit different with all that frontal and side area and they are a wind catcher with cross winds. Have never had a sway event but have always had sway control....

With my Reese system I only remove the spring bars when decoupling from the trailer. The hitch head stays in the receiver and the snap up brackets and cam arms stay on the trailer. So two parts are removed with that system, others are different.

2. A charged battery should be able to extend or retract the slides. The battery was possibly not fully charged or possibly the slide is binding.

3. Have no clue on the bed question.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #3

As far as a phone number for Jayco, it is 574-825-5861.

Here is the web page to contact them:
http://www.jayco.com/site/contact/
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

While I don't need a WD hitch technically I have one and it works well keeping the Expedition level. I don't have sway control and have never noticed any sway.

I've opened the slide many times on battery only without a problem. Try charging the battery overnight and check again. If you still have a problem the warranty should deal with it.

I remember seeing a load limit for the bed when retracted and it was a lot lower. I think it should be on the sticker in your trailer but I'm not certain.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Congratulations on the new X213.

#1)I tow a fair amount and the TT definitely tows different than any other trailer. Personally I think it has to do a bit with the light weight frames are made to twist. Then add the large cross-sectional area. I would strongly recommend a good Weight distribution hitch (WDH) with integrated sway control. Once you try it, you will never even consider towing without one.

2) You should be able to extend and retract many times on a single battery charge. If you have been home for a while and plugged in, give it another try. I would guess your battery was week. Note, that there are a number of items in the HTT that will phantom drain the battery, so always disconnect the battery if you are not plugged in (aka storage). I just pull the fuse at the battery, some people add disconnects.

3) cannot help with this one.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

A WD hitch will make for a better towing experience. You should be able to retract and extend the slide several times on battery. I upgraded to a group 31 battery on our 213, it has much more capacity than the group 24 that came with the trailer. We found that on a cold night the furnace would kill the smaller battery. When camping without power in cold weather I run a generator for about an hour every morning to bring the battery up to full charge. You can have the same amount of weight on the slide while either extended or retracted (about 1000 lbs), but you can only carry about 200 lbs on the slide while trailer is in motion. There should be a sticker on the couch side of the slide with that info. We have pulled into many quick overnight stops and we leave everything hitched up and run out the slide it only takes two minutes at most. The nice feature of the rear slide is that it doesn't extend into another lane if your parked in a narrow spot.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Thank you everyone. I will start looking into the WD hitch, any suggestions on brands with a good track record?

Also, I've read in a couple spots that some people only charge their batteries with a true battery charger. Do I need to get a charger or will plugging in be enough to charge up?

Thanks again,

2015 Jayco x213
Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4
Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATx213 View Post
Thank you everyone. I will start looking into the WD hitch, any suggestions on brands with a good track record?

Also, I've read in a couple spots that some people only charge their batteries with a true battery charger. Do I need to get a charger or will plugging in be enough to charge up?

Thanks again,
The converter will keep the battery fully charged when hooked up to shore power. I`ve been leaving mine plugged in for 5 years now and still using the original group 24 Interstate battery that came with the trailer.

This poll and discussion on WD hitches will offer some insights on that question

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6130
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

I use a WD and tow with a Dodge Ram 1500....no issues with sway and my hitch is adjusted to tow level.
2. I leave it plugged into my truck while still running to open the slide and awning...why draw off the battery unless you have to?
3. Yes you can sleep in it while it is retracted....slide supports 1100 lbs...at least my sticker on the slide shows. You will not have the couch or dinette with the slide in though.

Congrats on your new TT...we love ours.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #10

I charge the battery with a smart charger....my preference. It will charge while plugged in though.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #11

On that note, I disconnect the battery when stored...the propane detector will drain the battery unless you leave it plugged in.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I charge the battery with a smart charger....my preference. It will charge while plugged in though.
I do the same. I also have to store my camper (HOA does not allow them to be parked at the house).

Also, had one stolen while at a storage...
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #13

Your 2015 model should have the smart mode converter/charger installed. This is what you need to charge your battery. I would install a second battery if you are going to be camping off the power grid much. If you call JAYCO be sure to have your VIN number handy. They are most helpful folks....

We camp alot off the power grid and have a 255AH battery bank. We have it all planned out to do all the 120VAC Appliances we want to run from an INVERTER and all the 12VDC items directly from the battery bank which will drop our 255AH battery bank down to its 50% charge state by 8AM the next morning. Then we connect the 30AMP Trailer to our 2KW Generator using a RV30A-15A adapter and this will recharge our 255AH battery bank back up to its 90% charge state using the built-in smart mode converter/charger unit. Then we can do this all over again the next day/night run off the battery.

Camping off the power grid is second nature for us doing it this way...

We looked at doing what you just did back in 2010 real hard and looked at alot of X213s. Almost changed over but in the end never did. Really like the X213 layout..

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #14

Awesome info everyone, thanks!

How do I know how much juice the battery/batteries have? Can I just get a voltmeter and put it on the battery? If so what kind? I've read as much as I can find, but some of it is over my head. How do I know when I am fully charged? What reading should I get on the voltmeter? And what reading should I get when I am at that 50% mark and need to recharge? I'm not ready (capable) to install the fancy indoor meter and I don't really trust the little "1/3 2/3 box" that came with the camper.

I have read that many people travel/ store with the battery unhooked. I have also read that the emergency brake system only works if the battery is engaged. I am I missing something or are we just praying nothing goes wrong on the road? Do you travel with the battery hooked up or not?

Thanks again. Our first trip in this camper is only two weeks away, and I want to make sure we are ready.

2015 Jayco x213
Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4
Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #15

WDH with SC definitely. Safety first!
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #16

So yesterday I go to do some organizing in the camper and there is zero power on the battery. I unplugged it 3 days before after being plugged in for a week. I was surprised that the battery was completely drained after only 3 days but I don't really know where it was once I unplugged it. I would have figured after a week of being plugged in it would be fully charged. So I plug it in yesterday afternoon and just now (about 18 hours later) I unplug it and try to turn on the lights and NOTHING. I go check the battery and when I open the box, the box is full of water. It's about an 1" bellow the top of the battery. We did get a bunch of rain in the last few days but I would have thought the box would drain. I don't know if it is related to the dead battery. I did open up the battery itself and it seems to have plenty of water for the cells. Any thoughts???

2015 Jayco x213
Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4
Old 11-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Site Team

The battery box has holes on the top which let water in but none on the bottom. Many of us drill holes in the battery box to let out water. As for the battery dying, when you unplugged the trailer from shore power did you disconnect a terminal from the battery? If not there are constant power drains that will kill a battery in a matter of days... But when you plug it back in you should have power, could be a converter issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #18

Looks like the dealer/manufacture forgot to put a fuse in the little fuse box that comes off the positive battery terminal. Hopefully that will do it.

2015 Jayco x213
Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4
Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #19

Good trouble shooting!
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #20

Yup, battery should be hooked up during travel, supplies power to the brakes if your trailer becomes disconnected.