Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Lite/Ultra Lite Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

Getting a 2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift SLX 185RB looking for tips and advice.

Taking delivery of my 2014 Jayflight Swift SLX on the 18th of the month. I was wondering what others are doing to carry their bikes with them. I would like to take 2 bikes with me. I also would like to know any handy tips or tricks with this unit from others that have one.

I am coming from a popup should be a real treat and a learning experience. I used to just roll the popup by hand if I needed to adjust it on the campsite.
Mister Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

we also bought a jayco 184bh a 2013. we want to carry bikes also, my husband said we are going to weld a receiver hitch to the back of the camper to put my bike rack in
gapeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Get a waist tote to empty your grey tanks. I bolted a 4 bike carrier to the back a d it works well. Turn on your propane slow.

Have them run the AC for a few hours before you pick it up. I have never heard of a Swift that didn't have a leaky AC/Window. Yours will probably be no different. As a matter of fact, I'd insist that they fix it before you pick it up.

Do a great walk though with them. The plumbing can be a pain the first couple times you winterize. If you have a a BAL leveler left from your Popup, it will work great with the 184.

We use a 2 inch memory foam on the dinette when it is transformed into a bed... All the difference in he world!

Grab the insulator think that you can cram into the curling vent hole. Before I had one, I was amazed at how hit that area got, and how the sun would alway peek into that spot right in line with my eyes and wake me up at first light.

The champion 2000 watt generator runs the camper perfectly.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

We had a small 17' tt where we stowed our two bikes on a rack on the back bumper.... probably NOT your best choice... we did ok, but that bumper isn't meant to hold more than 100lbs (ours were under 100lbs). Most folks who do successfully carry bikes on the back of their tt (any size) have welded on a option that doesn't compromise the og back bumper.

[For those towing bigger reading this.... If towing with a half ton... our 29 Jayflight G2bhs with a loaded tongue of over 1000lbs is not conducive to carrying bikes in the bed of your tv! Half ton's lose payload big time as the hitch weight increases!]
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
We use a 2 inch memory foam on the dinette when it is transformed into a bed... All the difference in he world!
Where do you store the foam when not using it?
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

I ordered another set of stabilizers for the front of the trailer. I ordered the same ones as are on it right from the company that makes them. That way they use the same wrench and everything is identical. I did not want to crawl under there and put a screw up jack stand every time.

We are also looking at a mattress topper but on the 185RB we don't have to store it.

I also ordered a set of camco gutter extensions to try and keep the black streaks off the side. Has anyone used them they were real cheap at camping world.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #7

I also ordered a set of camco gutter extensions to try and keep the black streaks off the side. Has anyone used them they were real cheap at camping world.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I use them on all four corners....got them at walmart. work well and have never loss one during travel....
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #8

I installed the Camco gutter extensions but not a drop of rain since. Went on a 4 day camping trip to Limekiln Lake DEC Park here in NYS and had another great time. I will attach some pictures with the new accessories on it. The new stabilizers I installed on the front of the camper are awesome. It was solid as rock with those on there and a breeze to set up. Well worth the $60 and some change paid for them from the manufacturer. A guy there had a cool fold out Solar Cell for charging batteries during the day. Another guy 2 sires over had the most annoying generator with a 10HP Tecumseh motor that could be heard miles away..... I would not even consider bringing something like that to a park. It must have been over 100 db it was ridiculous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0817131913.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	9492Click image for larger version

Name:	0817131913a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	9493 (Taken from Cell Phone)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Limekiln Lake 19AUG13 059.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	9489Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Limekiln Lake 19AUG13 060.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	9490Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Limekiln Lake 19AUG13 061.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	9491
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettSLC View Post
Where do you store the foam when not using it?
We fold it 3 (or maybe 4) tome with the sheets and comforter still on, and set it on the top bunk. When we unfold it, the bed is already mostly made.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

What is the benefits of putting window ac units in the Swift models?

Just wondering,

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #11

They say is to keep the overall height lower in the brochure so it can fit in a standard garage. It is actually to keep the cost down as a 8k window AC unit is much cheaper than a Roof AC unit. I know it still won't fit in my garage not like I would put it there anyway....
Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

I also have a 185RB, the best mod I ever did was to put a 12v fan like the Vaterra vent fan behind the refer. I could not get the temps in the refer section to go below 60 degrees when the temp outside was over 75 degrees. http://www.valterra.com/rv/rv-main.htm. I also got the fan for the inside and now the refer works great.

Good luck with your 185RB we love ours.

Phil (Illinois)
2013 Ford-150 SCAB 5.0L 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB
ptother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

That is weird our fridge was freezing things on our last trip we had to turn it down to about 3 and then things were real nice. When we left I was concerned that we had it packed to full and things would not cool well. That was running on gas as we have not had an electric site yet. But at home cooling it down for the trip on electric it also seemed to work well aslo.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Twister View Post
I ordered another set of stabilizers for the front of the trailer. I ordered the same ones as are on it right from the company that makes them. That way they use the same wrench and everything is identical. I did not want to crawl under there and put a screw up jack stand every time.

We are also looking at a mattress topper but on the 185RB we don't have to store it.

I also ordered a set of camco gutter extensions to try and keep the black streaks off the side. Has anyone used them they were real cheap at camping world.
Hi,

Can you do me (us) a favor and detail the maker of the stabilizer and where you got it? I see mine does have a manufacturer label, but I would have to remove it to see the label.

Thanks,

Scott Moore
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote